Author Topic: future trade idea: Rondo for Westbrook  (Read 7970 times)

future trade idea: Rondo for Westbrook
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:35:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not saying to do it now. But if after this season the celts cant score enough and okc cant get to the finals again , plus okc wants durant to be the main man moving fwd, can this trade happen? Would you like the trade?

Okc would benefit having rondos championship win experience, purer pg capability and ability to feed the ball more to ibaka and durant.

Celts would benefit bc westbrook would assure celts points and help steal some games. Even though passing suffers a little, celts fortunately have other good passing players like green, ab, oly and sullinger that can help out in that area.

Trade
To okc: rondo + future 1st
To bos: westbrook + 2nd round pick

Re: future trade idea: Rondo for Westbrook
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:18:17 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Last year with PP and KG, i would've easily done this trade. The team needed offense and even with Rondo, the team was known for going through scoring droughts. Especially with the decline of PP, we needed someone else who could create their own shot.

this year or moving forward, I would think that OKC would love to do this trade because i think Rondo's playstyle is a better fit for them.

However, as for the C's, i'm not so sure. I might do it simply because i think Westbrook is a more complete player - or rather, a player that's easier to build around. But truth be told, if the roster stands pat, i think neither Rondo nor Westbrook will really move the needle for us. There are just so many holes in the roster.
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
westbrook is younger and a better fit with durant. durant gets open looks because of westbrook shooting ability, floor spacing, and his atheltic ability to get to the rim also compliments durant's long range.With rondo on that okc team, durant would be triple-teamed all day. it makes ZERO sense to have rondo on that team. if they wanted the ball to durant more, they force westbrook to play that. they dont have to do a major trade to change their playstyle, its a ridiculous idea.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
westbrook is younger and a better fit with durant. durant gets open looks because of westbrook shooting ability, floor spacing, and his atheltic ability to get to the rim also compliments durant's long range.With rondo on that okc team, durant would be triple-teamed all day. it makes ZERO sense to have rondo on that team. if they wanted the ball to durant more, they force westbrook to play that. they dont have to do a major trade to change their playstyle, its a ridiculous idea.

I'm not sold on the idea that Westbrook and Durant are a good combo together. Durant does get open looks because Westbrook is on the floor, but Westbrook also takes as many (if not more) shots than Durant regularly and at a much less efficient rate. And I don't think the solution to that problem is as easy as telling Westbrook to show more deference to KD on the offensive end, because they need to keep both stars happy. Otherwise they're going to have  a disgruntled star and have to look for trade possibilities anyway. For a small market team like OKC they need to either win or do everything they can to keep their stars happy or they're going to see them walk away and with two guys who could easily be number 1s on another squad it'll be hard to manage that. They still haven't found that perfect balance between Westbrook and KD yet.

I actually think Rondo would be a great fit with Durant, but you'd definitely need another sharpshooter on that team to keep teams from swarming KD. I think Rondo's playmaking ability can take advantage of all the holes defenses are going to leave open because they are focusing their energy on Durant and he can help the supporting cast have more of an impact. Meanwhile Durant will be able to have more of a dominant presence on the court. I think it'd lead to a more well rounded team.

I don't see OKC making any Westbrook moves unless this season turns out to be a bust or unless Westbrook or Durant get frustrated with one another.

I think Rondo would be a great choice, but I'd love to see them chase after Gasol and Conley from the Grizz. They're very close to reaching that team's ceiling in terms of potential and Randolph is only getting slower. If they are going to blow it up at any time in the near future, every rebuilding team would LOVE to have Westbrook as it's centerpiece. OKC could benefit from Gasol's presence inside both defensively and offensively (such a good passer for a big man) and Conley is the kind of facilitator that will be able to feed Durant, while still scoring easily when the defense swarms KD.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Durant scores because he's kevin durant. i think Rondo would be a better fit for OKC because he would defer more to KD rather than try to match him in scoring output. Not only that but i would assume the rest of the cast would improve under Rondo.

it's not uncommon to see Russ taking more shots than Durant in a game, and for me, that's troublesome. To put it into context, Wade and Bosh both play with Lebron and both of them can put up big numbers if need be, but both know that the team's success hinges on Lebron's greatness and that's why they defer to him. Not every game, mind you, but for the most part they do. Durant is almost up there with Lebron, but Russ doesn't seem to understand that.

you can't really fault Russ though because he produces and it's his playstyle to be aggressive and reckless, sometimes to the detriment of his team. So it's not just a matter of "if they wanted the ball to durant more, they force westbrook to play that". that's like saying if they wanted the ball to Dwight more, they force Kobe to play that. it's just not happening because it's out of character.

OKC wins because they just have so much talent and they defend. I just think they're more optimized with Rondo.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo's pretty much proven that he can get open shots for just about anyone he's on the court with. Durant would be no exception. Wouldn't do the trade though, people like to talk about how Westbrook would be more valuable on a team without scorers but if you surround him with a strong cast his flaws would just re-appear.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

I'm not sold on the idea that Westbrook and Durant are a good combo together. Durant does get open looks because Westbrook is on the floor, but Westbrook also takes as many (if not more) shots than Durant regularly and at a much less efficient rate. And I don't think the solution to that problem is as easy as telling Westbrook to show more deference to KD on the offensive end, because they need to keep both stars happy. Otherwise they're going to have  a disgruntled star and have to look for trade possibilities anyway. For a small market team like OKC they need to either win or do everything they can to keep their stars happy or they're going to see them walk away and with two guys who could easily be number 1s on another squad it'll be hard to manage that. They still haven't found that perfect balance between Westbrook and KD yet.

I actually think Rondo would be a great fit with Durant, but you'd definitely need another sharpshooter on that team to keep teams from swarming KD. I think Rondo's playmaking ability can take advantage of all the holes defenses are going to leave open because they are focusing their energy on Durant and he can help the supporting cast have more of an impact. Meanwhile Durant will be able to have more of a dominant presence on the court. I think it'd lead to a more well rounded team.

I don't see OKC making any Westbrook moves unless this season turns out to be a bust or unless Westbrook or Durant get frustrated with one another.

I think Rondo would be a great choice, but I'd love to see them chase after Gasol and Conley from the Grizz. They're very close to reaching that team's ceiling in terms of potential and Randolph is only getting slower. If they are going to blow it up at any time in the near future, every rebuilding team would LOVE to have Westbrook as it's centerpiece. OKC could benefit from Gasol's presence inside both defensively and offensively (such a good passer for a big man) and Conley is the kind of facilitator that will be able to feed Durant, while still scoring easily when the defense swarms KD.
well obviously durant is more efficient, westbrook has the 2nd highest volume of shots attempted after kobe. but westbrook still scores in large throngs. they won so many games the past 2 seasons together its ridiculous.

okc won 60 games last year. 60.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:37:00 PM by lightspeed5 »

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 01:47:09 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I don't see why OKC would ever want to do this.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I don't see why OKC would ever want to do this.

Bc durant might pull a lebron if it doesnt work. At least if okc gets rondo, durant has the green light to be the man. Ive seen him at times be frustrated to not get ball when he wants it

On the flipside nobody here has commented on how they would feel if westbrook was a celtic.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I thought we all got enough of the Westbrook-less Thunder this year in the playoffs--you might not like his game, but Russell Westbrook is/was a force.

Rondo and Durant would be interesting for a couple of games, until the Thunder's opponents realized that Rondo's impact is highly mitigated when he's playing off the ball. OKC doesn't have enough of an offensive system (as of this playoff season) to work around not having a guy like Westbrook, who's always a threat to score from anywhere within twenty-four feet.

I actually don't think Westbrook and Durant are all that complimentary, but it's a testament to their talents that OKC has been a serious title contender for the last three years.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown

well obviously durant is more efficient, westbrook has the 2nd highest volume of shots attempted after kobe. but westbrook still scores in large throngs. they won so many games the past 2 seasons together its ridiculous.

60 games is very impressive and it's not as if you can say well they won 60 games, but didn't win the last one so it doesn't matter, because Westbrook got hurt.

I'm not trying to take anything away from them as a duo, but I think that it's very possible that they'd be a more well rounded team with a PG who wasn't a shoot first scoring machine. Westbrook is amazing, but I'd still rather have Durant shooting the ball and with a PG like Rondo he will get more shot opportunities and Rondo's ability to set players up should mean that he isn't overwhelmed by teams keying on him. At the same time Rondo himself can score reasonably well, but more importantly his game should help the supporting cast score more.

With Durant taking more shots, Rondo's scoring and the bench contributing more they'd be able to make up for losing out on Westbrook's scoring, while becoming a more balanced squad.

As I said before they'd definitely need another sharpshooter to keep teams honest, but on paper it seems to work out. At the very least I think OKC's GM would have to consider an offer if it was made down the line and they still hadn't broken through.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

60 games is very impressive and it's not as if you can say well they won 60 games, but didn't win the last one so it doesn't matter, because Westbrook got hurt.

I'm not trying to take anything away from them as a duo, but I think that it's very possible that they'd be a more well rounded team with a PG who wasn't a shoot first scoring machine. Westbrook is amazing, but I'd still rather have Durant shooting the ball and with a PG like Rondo he will get more shot opportunities and Rondo's ability to set players up should mean that he isn't overwhelmed by teams keying on him. At the same time Rondo himself can score reasonably well, but more importantly his game should help the supporting cast score more.

With Durant taking more shots, Rondo's scoring and the bench contributing more they'd be able to make up for losing out on Westbrook's scoring, while becoming a more balanced squad.

As I said before they'd definitely need another sharpshooter to keep teams honest, but on paper it seems to work out. At the very least I think OKC's GM would have to consider an offer if it was made down the line and they still hadn't broken through.

And then would you be happy with westbrook as a celtic?

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 05:38:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Westbrook would be an awesome Celtic, assuming he comes back 100%.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
And then would you be happy with westbrook as a celtic?

I'd love Westbrook as a Celtic. If it was Westbrook for Rondo straight up, I'd probably do it, but unfortunately it'd most likely be a much larger deal (Boston probably has to give a bit more value or take back Perk) so it's hard to say.

I think rebuilding around Westbrook would probably be a lot easier because he is more of a traditional point, so it's easier to find other superstars that would fit well with him. Russell is younger too so that helps. 

That being said I'm perfectly happy moving forward with Rondo as our centerpiece.

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Depending on how each guy is playing and doing an idea like that gets run by one guy....Durant.  They immediately take the general idea to Durant and say "It's your team. What are your thoughts and feelings on this?"