Author Topic: Who should have Danny drafted 22nd with 2012 pick instead??  (Read 10579 times)

Re: Who should have Danny drafted 22nd with 2012 pick instead??
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 06:33:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
At the time I wanted PJ3.  I think in hindsight trying to trade the pick would have made the most sense.  Maybe you see if the Sixers trade was available, move 22 for 45 and a future 1st.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 07:14:20 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
pj3 is still with okc.

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 07:16:19 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
when danny drafted fab, he drafted for NEED instead of BPA. dumbest thing you can do, and he knows it but he still did it. probably got cocky from having 2 1sts.

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 09:17:23 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
when danny drafted fab, he drafted for NEED instead of BPA. dumbest thing you can do, and he knows it but he still did it. probably got cocky from having 2 1sts.

?? How is this possibly drafting for need? We "need" a project 7 footer to sit on the bench for the next 3 years? That comment makes no sense.

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

?? How is this possibly drafting for need? We "need" a project 7 footer to sit on the bench for the next 3 years? That comment makes no sense.

Fab Melo was a gamble...anytime you have a project, it is a gamble. Cuz you think they have a huge upside and potential, so you start putting in time and money into him. If he doesn't pan out, it feels like a misused pick. I was rooting for Fab to improve and do well too. But, what I like about Danny is, he admits his mistakes and cut loose from it asap instead of wasting time with it. Let's cut Danny some slack cuz he is doing fairly well in drafting late. While Sully didn't last the entire season, we saw a glimpse of what he can do 100% healthy.

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

He drafted a center because the Celtics "needed" a big, rather than taking the best player available regardless of position and how deep the team is at that position.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 10:12:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He drafted a center because the Celtics "needed" a big, rather than taking the best player available regardless of position and how deep the team is at that position.
but who was BPA at that point?  I mean the player that played the best that went after Fab last year, was probably Ezeli (you know a center).  Moultrie and Jones were 6'11" PF's and played well enough to warrant a selection there.  I mean it seems to me that a big was in fact the BPA, Danny just picked the wrong one.  Now sure a guy like John Jenkins might have helped more last year, but he will never amount to much, while Fab at least could have been a difference maker defensively.  It was a gamble and I can't fault taking a gamble from that point in the draft (though I said at the time and since then I would have gambled on PJ3). 

In hind sight he should have tried to move the pick.  Miami got pretty solid value from Philadelphia on the Moultrie pick.  I would have tried to do something like that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip