Author Topic: Who should have Danny drafted 22nd with 2012 pick instead??  (Read 10592 times)

Re: Who should have Danny drafted 22nd with 2012 pick instead??
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 09:04:25 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Celtic fans are a bit spoiled with Danny having scored pretty well with late first round picks (Big Al #15, Bradley #19, Rondo #21!!!, Sully #21, Perkins #27) and even in the 2nd round (Big Baby #35).

The average value of those picks are normally pretty suck compared to those guys.

Don't forget other second round gems like Ryan Gomes and Leon POWE.
 :)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I really think Fab was a three year developmental project, and this was if the rebuild didn't take place. We have too many young guys to develop without Fab here at this point. If he is to progress it will be with the Grizz.
You mike think Greene is going to be gone, but there is a chance he stays as he is what we need in this new offense. He can stretch the 4 spot much more than Bass could, and Greene would be a good player to take Bass's spot while opening minutes for KO.

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 09:45:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Trade up to the last Rockets spot. Coulda had Terrence Jones probably cheap. You call and you're all like "Listen buddy. You got Demo and Royce White. Do you really need this guy too? Thin things out a bit." Maybe try that to get John Henson. "Hey Bucks. How many skinny big men do you really need?"

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wanted Moutrie.  Would have been satisfied with PJIII or Ezeli.  Last person I wanted picked was Melo.

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »

fitzhickey

I would of been much happier if he had drafted ezeli or jae crowder above melo
even pjIII

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think at the time I wanted Jeff Taylor.

I think Ainge went for Melo because he felt the team needed a s even-foot shot-blocker.  Melo has more basketball experience than Festus Ezeli, so perhaps seemed like he was closer to becoming useful.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »

Offline bMunch

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 28
i'm perpetually confused by how fickle we fans are.

when fab was drafted it was generally understood that he was a 2-3 year project. yet, throughout the first year and following summer -- which basically brings us to now -- people have been in full on hate mode.

i don't get it. yes, he's not good but he's improved a bit and when he was drafted no one really expected more.

but now we do. our 2-3 year project is suddenly supposed to be an impact player. why? i've no idea. the goal posts moved.

i don't care that he was traded. i also wouldn't be surprised if 3-4 years from now he's a semi-decent rotation player on a pretty good team.
“Man, I come home putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball. It’s sad, man." -- Kevin Garnett

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think at the time I wanted Jeff Taylor.

I think Ainge went for Melo because he felt the team needed a s even-foot shot-blocker.  Melo has more basketball experience than Festus Ezeli, so perhaps seemed like he was closer to becoming useful.

Melo was pretty raw in that he only played org basketball for 5 yrs. Ezeli maybe the same but at least played 4 yrs of college ball

The reasons melo went higher than ezeli imo 1) syracuse had an excellent yr 2) he played only for 2 yrs thus perceived higher potential 3) a littler taller and better shot blocker

In the end the risk didnt pan out and ezeli looks like he is on his way at least to be a decent nba backup and melo going to play in the d league for life

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
The guy I really wanted was Festus Ezeli - he just seemed like a bigger Ben Wallace. His bio said tough as nails in the paint and very physical.

I thought he would have been an excellent pairing with KG, a more athletic Perkins type.

The other guy I liked, also for his physicality at his position, was Jeff Taylor. Thought he would be a good 2nd or 3rd string SF behind Pierce and had good athleticism to run with Rondo.

I supported Fab and felt we needed to give him a solid three years to develop but I did not like the pick in the first place.   

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I think the question should be, did it matter who the C's took at 22?

I think this trade was less about Fab and more about cutting salary.  If the C's had taken any other player still on the board, they probably would have just been shipped out like Fab was, and probably would have brought back a similar return too.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 11:26:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think the question should be, did it matter who the C's took at 22?

I think this trade was less about Fab and more about cutting salary.  If the C's had taken any other player still on the board, they probably would have just been shipped out like Fab was, and probably would have brought back a similar return too.

Naw i dont agree. If fab improved by having a better showing at sl, danny would of kept him. Prob dont even have to bring over faverani, thus b under the tax issue

The other obvious choice we skipped on imo was teague. We needed a proper backup pg. Not that teague impressed alot last year but he showed glimpse of hope at the nba level at least

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 11:28:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Melo trade after 1 year clearly is a sign that Danny admitting it was a mistake pickup.

I don't know that that's really the case. I think it's to get below (or somewhat comfortably below, don't know the exact salary stuff this year) the luxury tax threshold, which will allow us to go above the tax level in the future in the future without paying the exorbitant repeater tax. That would save millions of dollars. The real question should be who do people think we could have drafted that we'd be willing to eat all that money in the future to keep?

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's a capped league and Melo didn't show enough in SL to prove that he was worth a luxury tax penalty.  Those are the breaks.  Too bad we couldn't have traded the Melo pick forward or sold it at that time.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 12:56:38 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Is it true the Clippers pick can be rolled over? I can't find any info.

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 01:12:03 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Fab was on my don't draft list.

Of the guys left I wanted Quincy Miller, Arnette Moultrie, or PJIII.

Would've been happy with Jeff Taylor.