Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread : VOTING ENDS 8:00PM EST TONIGHT  (Read 1008131 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread - Back to playing the game
« Reply #915 on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
There's one name in particular that I'm surprised to see not go drafted in the 2nd round.

« Reply #916 on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Also...

The Thunder were ranked third in the NBA for Defensive Efficiency (Pts Allowed per 100 Possessions).

Who are the top teams you might ask?

1) Indiana (Hibbert)
2) Memphis (Gasol)
3) OKC (Ibaka)
4) SA (Duncan)
5) CHI (Noah)
6) BOS (Garnett)

I think he's a better/more important defender than you give him credit for. Keep in mind that having an elite shot blocker changes the mentality of offensive players as well. In effort to not being stuffed, they tend to take outside shots/floaters which are in turn lower percentage shots.

Having Westbrook/Sefolosha as your backcourt goes a long way, and it's sort of sad how much disrespect Perkins gets around here now...

I mean, I'm not saying Ibaka is a negative or a non-factor for their defense, because his rim protection is definitely valuable. He's just a very overrated defender IMO because people all too often misconstrue blocks as an accurate metric of defensive ability.

A lot of those teams have good backcourt defense though...

Conley/Allen
Hill/George
Westbrook/Sefolosha
Leonard
Butler/Deng
Rondo/Bradley

The foundation of my teams defense is set with LeBron who is a premier perimeter defender that can guard any position 1-4 and Ibaka who can protect the rim from slashers and big men. I also think those two can run the pick-and-pop together as well as Ibaka spotting up along the baseline for LeBron to find him on a drive-and-dish. I'm happy with my foundation for sure.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #917 on: August 20, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Looking back at Yoki's trade, who would you rather have:

Lillard/Gay/Monroe

or

Harden/P Gasol

For me the answer is easy. I would rather have Harden/Gasol and have the patience to see someone drop in my lap at the end of the 3rd like gasol and a couple of other players have dropped in this round.

With all due respect Commish. I did not know Pau was going to fall in 2.22 now, do i? Like everyone else, I expected Pau to be gone at 15. If I had that information I would have waited.

I think I did pretty good with the trade.
Patience my young padawan. Its all about patience. ;) :D

Not when quality big men are going out fast like pancakes. There's a time and place for waiting, this years 2nd round  I thought was not it. I was wrong, but I would do it all over again if I see the board with the first 10 picks being quality bigs and there are 12 more selections ahead of me.

Well, except that I mentioned Gasol by name via PM to you? I may not have mod credibility, but THE Walker Wiggle gives solid advice

« Reply #918 on: August 20, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
All right, I'm torn but I think this guy is less likely to be around for my next pick.

Orlando Kobes select Paul Millsap

I like it, very underrated player who will very willingly take a back seat to Kobe
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #919 on: August 20, 2013, 03:34:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dang it.  I hate seeing IP get some much love for a pick, but I can't bring myself to criticize the selection.

I can't quit you, Pau.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #920 on: August 20, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
All right, I'm torn but I think this guy is less likely to be around for my next pick.

Orlando Kobes select Paul Millsap

I like it, very underrated player who will very willingly take a back seat to Kobe

Thanks, he's a do-everything guy who I think will fit in well with the kind of lineup I'm trying to slap together.

Gonna have to nail this next round or two though.

« Reply #921 on: August 20, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, I have a headache am going to go hang by the pool for a while and do some laps.

I believe the Big Board, Eligible Players and Rosters post are all up to date.

Please check the first page and make sure I have your rosters correct and if you made any trades that I have you selecting where you should. Any mistakes, let me know. I'm out for a while.

« Reply #922 on: August 20, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Gasol, Randolph, Milsapp gone makes Washington sad.  :'( :'(

« Reply #923 on: August 20, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Lillard/Gay/Monroe

or

Harden/P Gasol

For me the answer is easy. I would rather have Harden/Gasol and have the patience to see someone drop in my lap at the end of the 3rd like gasol and a couple of other players have dropped in this round.

Harden/Gasol, and it's not even close.

And who will I put next to Harden and Gasol at 3.22? Again, I worked on the assumption that the big men talents are going out fast, I had to do something.

You're right, Harden and Gasol seems to be a good pairing compare to Lillard/Gay/Monroe (who BTW is not bad, at all). I already told this to Commish, if I had info that Gasol would drop, I would wait. But I don't and quality big men are being snatched like candy from a piñata early.  I decided to rebuild instead of the risk of waiting.

It turned pretty good, great actually. Solid core of star players.

Its one of the risks of drafting top 5.  But luckily the talent gap is pretty significant that teams with top 5 players can survive the wait.  You too could have survived even if you didnt get Pau.

Not without a big man who either is a low post threat or a rim protector.

And the way the board shaped up early this round, I thought there the quality bigs will be gone by the time I pick 2.22.

Had to do something. And I disagree about the drop off from Harden/Gasol.

Lillard is in the same mold as Harden, not as efficient but in the same mold. He's a scorer who can light it up and also a solid playmaker. Whatever Harden does, Lillard can in a level down a notch.

The Harden trade gave me Greg Monroe though, an ultra skilled Center who's always a dual threat in the midrange or in the post. Lillard ran the pick and pop well with Aldridge, well, he can as well with Monroe, who by the way, also rolls (compare to LMA who only likes to shoot midrange). I got my scorer, playmaker, inside presence and rebounder from that trade.

And then I get Rudy Gay, who's a weak #1 option but a great #2. Solid defender, can score on his own. CLUTCH. Can I get that level of talent in 3.22? I don't think so.

I think I did good with my trade.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #924 on: August 20, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Gasol, Randolph, Milsapp gone makes Washington sad.  :'( :'(

It's a sign! Trade your 3rd to the Lakers  ;)

« Reply #925 on: August 20, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Okay, I have a headache am going to go hang by the pool for a while and do some laps.

I believe the Big Board, Eligible Players and Rosters post are all up to date.

Please check the first page and make sure I have your rosters correct and if you made any trades that I have you selecting where you should. Any mistakes, let me know. I'm out for a while.

Very impressive work keeping everything up to date, nick.  You're a workhorse.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #926 on: August 20, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Lillard/Gay/Monroe

or

Harden/P Gasol

With all due respect Commish. I did not know Pau was going to fall in 2.22 now, do i? Like everyone else, I expected Pau to be gone at 15. If I had that information I would have waited.

I think I did pretty good with the trade.
Patience my young padawan. Its all about patience. ;) :D

Not when quality big men are going out fast like pancakes. There's a time and place for waiting, this years 2nd round  I thought was not it. I was wrong, but I would do it all over again if I see the board with the first 10 picks being quality bigs and there are 12 more selections ahead of me.

Well, except that I mentioned Gasol by name via PM to you? I may not have mod credibility, but THE Walker Wiggle gives solid advice

Yep, you did so. After we sent the trade unfortunately.

I had Gasol on my board even before the mention, just like I said, with how the big men got picked early, I thought he wont last till 2.22.

I already have Monroe, so I bolstered my wing instead.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #927 on: August 20, 2013, 03:41:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

In the end, that's what matters.  Ultimately, this is just a time waster, meant for fun and some basketball discussion.

« Reply #928 on: August 20, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
I love doing trades so PM me.  8)

« Reply #929 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

In the end, that's what matters.  Ultimately, this is just a time waster, meant for fun and some basketball discussion.

Well said.