Author Topic: Celtics trade Fab Melo for Donte Green (non-guaranteed contract)  (Read 29080 times)

Re: Celtics trade Fab Melo for Donte Green (non-guaranteed contract)
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It'd be interesting to see the average NBA career length for post-pick #20 draftees.

About 250 games for picks in the 20s, maybe a bit higher since this study includes recent picks.

http://82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

The list also has average points/reb/ast over career by draft pick number.

Another series also tells you the history of players by pick number. Here's pick 22 in historical perspective:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/history-of-the-nba-draft-pick-number-22

Bottom line is that with a pick in the 20s you should expect to get a legit NBA player something less than half the time. Getting a borderline starter or solid bench guy should be considered a success.

« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I tried to tell yall the guy is a stiff just not a basketball player. Looks like our new coach agrees. We paid another team to take him away.

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2013, 04:43:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lest we forget that the picks Danny brought in for Doc, KG, Pierce, and Terry in 2014, 2015, 2016 are more than likely picks in the 20's and 2 of the last 3 years, Danny has whiffed badly drafting in that area.

So does that change the way people think about the trades we made?

« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Lest we forget that the picks Danny brought in for Doc, KG, Pierce, and Terry in 2014, 2015, 2016 are more than likely picks in the 20's and 2 of the last 3 years, Danny has whiffed badly drafting in that area.

If you look at the sum total of his picks from the mid-first to the end of the first round, things look much better. Rondo is the best player ever taken at #21. Al Jefferson is probably the 2nd best ever taken at #15. Perkins, Bradley, West, Tony Allen - all those guys were taken in that range and were good players for their draft range. The jury's still out on Sully but he has promise as a #21 pick.

So, not really. There are going to be misses in that range, but I think Danny's overall record is very good.

« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

If you look at the sum total of his picks from the mid-first to the end of the first round, things look much better. Rondo is the best player ever taken at #21. Al Jefferson is probably the 2nd best ever taken at #15. Perkins, Bradley, West, Tony Allen - all those guys were taken in that range and were good players for their draft range. The jury's still out on Sully but he has promise as a #21 pick.

So, not really. There are going to be misses in that range, but I think Danny's overall record is very good.

Correct as usual Boris. Yes, compared to the average for the nba drafts in the poorer half of the first round, ainge is wAy way above average. Well under half of those players make the nba as starter or solid players.

For ainge I think over half of his picks have gone on to be solid to starters. But I am traveling now and can't check the exact percentages.

But again, Boris has it right.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2013, 11:58:18 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Not when the option was, essentially, nothing at all and possibly worse than that.  If KG and Pierce just retire, then Boston doesn't have those picks and doesn't even have the chance to hit draft gold AND they don't have any assets to pull off a major trade.  And what if KG wants to play another 2 years past his current contract?  What if Pierce wants to?  Would Ainge have had to keep them and waste another 3 to 4 years of Rondo's prime?

And I don't think it's at all a sure thing that the Nets pick in 2016 is in the 20s.

Mike

« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Not when the option was, essentially, nothing at all and possibly worse than that.  If KG and Pierce just retire, then Boston doesn't have those picks and doesn't even have the chance to hit draft gold AND they don't have any assets to pull off a major trade.  And what if KG wants to play another 2 years past his current contract?  What if Pierce wants to?  Would Ainge have had to keep them and waste another 3 to 4 years of Rondo's prime?

And I don't think it's at all a sure thing that the Nets pick in 2016 is in the 20s.

Mike

The other option would be to run it back. A healthy Rondo, Pierce, KG, Green, KO, Sully, Mini-MLE, etc. we can still make noise. I think we would hang with Miami, beat Indy or NY, but should avoid Chicago.

If we get a top 5 pick next year, the trade was worth it because those picks can be moved for help now.

I don't get why people think the Nets will get bad anytime soon. Their owner will keep buying players to stay competitive. Brooklyn is in the East, where it is not especially deep. Every year a .500 or below team makes it. I doubt they miss the playoffs anytime soon.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2013, 04:41:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Mike

The other option would be to run it back. A healthy Rondo, Pierce, KG, Green, KO, Sully, Mini-MLE, etc. we can still make noise. I think we would hang with Miami, beat Indy or NY, but should avoid Chicago.

If we get a top 5 pick next year, the trade was worth it because those picks can be moved for help now.

I don't get why people think the Nets will get bad anytime soon. Their owner will keep buying players to stay competitive. Brooklyn is in the East, where it is not especially deep. Every year a .500 or below team makes it. I doubt they miss the playoffs anytime soon.
I think it's the 2016 pick that could be pretty good if KG/PP are gone and their core breaks up.