Author Topic: Celtics trade Fab Melo for Donte Green (non-guaranteed contract)  (Read 29005 times)

Re: Celtics trade Fab Melo for Donte Green (non-guaranteed contract)
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't know why anybody would be happy that we just dumped a project center we spent a 1st round pick on just a year ago for absolutely nothing (Greene will get cut).

That #22 pick from last year just went from "probably a waste" to "definitely 100% a waste."

Good job by Danny here. Greene's contract is non-guaranteed, allowing us to waive him and get our salary count down to 71.5 million (0.2 million under the tax threshold). This helps us avoid paying the harsh penalties of going over the luxury tax next year. If we go into the tax this year, that makes three years in a row and we'd have to pay huge sums of money if we wanted to go over the tax in future years.

We didn't need to get under the tax until the trade deadline.  I would have preferred to wait to see if there was a dump we could have made with Bass / Humphries / Lee where we get back less salary.

What this tells me is that the C's front office saw the same thing I saw with Melo.  He is hopeless.  And, if they waited until the deadline, they might have had to pay a slightly larger premium to dump him, because the other team would see the desperation.  If they still had hope for Melo, it would have been worth the risk.  But, it seems clear to me that they have no hope. 

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Pleased with this trade! Let's go C's! :)

Wishing Melo the best in Memphis.  ;D

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Can someone explain to me why I should be excited that Celtics ownership won't have to pay a hefty luxury tax?  Are there additional penalties like losing some of our free agent exceptions or something for going over the threshold?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Can someone explain to me why I should be excited that Celtics ownership won't have to pay a hefty luxury tax?  Are there additional penalties like losing some of our free agent exceptions or something for going over the threshold?

Well, there is a repeaters tax, which is significant enough that you should worry about it.  These guys don't have bottomless pockets. 

But, there is also a hard cap the C's are stuck under this year, because they made a sign and trade, so, shaving this salary from the books, does give the C's greater flexibility under that hard cap line, in case other opportunities present themselves.

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

If the Celtics pay luxury tax this season, they would have to pay the higher "repeater" tax rate if they were a tax-payer next season.  This would make the team more cautious about adding salary (such as using that trade exception to absorb a big contract).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2013, 04:08:16 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Awful deal. Not so much because of Fab Melo but because you have essentially wasted 2 of your last 3 1st rounders. Fab Melo was supposed to be a project. The trade that should have been made was Bass or Crawford not Melo. If Fab even becomes a rotational big this has potential to bite the Celtics in the future

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Well, there is a repeaters tax, which is significant enough that you should worry about it.  These guys don't have bottomless pockets. 

But, there is also a hard cap the C's are stuck under this year, because they made a sign and trade, so, shaving this salary from the books, does give the C's greater flexibility under that hard cap line, in case other opportunities present themselves.

I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to care whether or not ownership pay a repeater tax.  I'd rather have Chris Wilcox than just see them save money.

As to the hard cap thing, I just don't understand it.  I try to read Larry Coon every once in a while for as long as I can without my eyes going blurry (about 45 seconds at a time is usually my limit), but all the salary cap stuff always goes way over my limited brain capabilities.

Here's a question, for example:

If there really is a hard cap of about $71 million, how do the Brooklyn Nets get away with having a payroll of over $100 million?

I know Mickael Prokorov is richer than anyone else in the world, but, still, isn't a hard cap a hard cap? 

I don't get all this "we need to get under it" stuff.  To me, this means the hard cap doesn't actually exist?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Guess the team wants to make more room for faverini. I am not a fan if this trade.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to care whether or not ownership pay a repeater tax.  I'd rather have Chris Wilcox than just see them save money.

As to the hard cap thing, I just don't understand it.  I try to read Larry Coon every once in a while for as long as I can without my eyes going blurry (about 45 seconds at a time is usually my limit), but all the salary cap stuff always goes way over my limited brain capabilities.

If there really is a hard cap of about $71 million, how do the Brooklyn Nets get away with having a payroll of over $100 million?

I know Mickael Prokorov is richer than anyone else in the world, but, still, isn't a hard cap a hard cap? 

I don't get all this "we need to get under it" stuff.  To me, this means the hard cap doesn't actually exist?

It means that for however deep Wyc is willing to dig into his wallet in a year or two, Danny can get more for it.

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

The Celtics are subject to the hard cap because they received a player (Bogans) in a sign-and-trade.  If you don't do certain things (including using the full MLE to sign a player), then you are not subject to a hard cap.

You basically have a choice of accepting a hard cap as the price of being allowed to have certain options, or eschewing a hard cap and having fewer options.  For example, the Lakers chose to let their payroll become so bloated that they lost the flexibility of having another player come back to them in a sign-and-trade if they had tried to work out a deal for a Dwight Howard sign-and-trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It means that for however deep Wyc is willing to dig into his wallet in a year or two, Danny can get more for it.

This.  All teams have budgets, and Danny is confined by his.  It's better to be able to spend that budget on as much player salary as possible.

The repeater tax basically adds an additional dollar-for-dollar penalty to teams above the luxury tax line.  Thus, a "repeater" team that goes $5 million over the luxury tax has to pay $5 million extra, in addition to the already steep luxury tax penalties. 

Staying below the tax line this year (and next year) are important for the future of the team, because Wyc doesn't have unlimited resources.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2013, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
So I imagine our big man rotation will be

PF: Sully      / Bass    / Olynyk  / Green
 C: Humpheries / Olynyk / Faverani

unless Faverani is a good defender , Bass is actually our best big man defender. I have a feeling the c's wll be giving up a ton of points in the paint this year.

Not that Fab would have helped anything .

I bet we get a top 5 pick next year .  ;D

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
unless Faverani is a good defender , Bass is actually our best big man defender. I have a feeling the c's wll be giving up a ton of points in the paint this year.

I'm thinking the defensive philosophy should be to foul often and foul hard, so that having a lot of serviceable bigs translates into trying to fight a war of attrition.

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Not that Fab would have helped anything .

Anyone who has hope for Fab needs to think about one thing.  If there ever were a time to dedicate yourself to developing a guy like Fab was originally billed as, wouldn't this be the year? 

That shows you exactly what management thought of Melo.  While there are cap implications, this was really just Danny declaring that he has no hope Melo will be a useful player. 

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'm thinking the defensive philosophy should be to foul often and foul hard, so that having a lot of serviceable bigs translates into trying to fight a war of attrition.

Well, I think the real defensive philosophy will be to keep them out of the paint in the first place.  If you can keep other teams on the perimeter, then missing a shotblocker is not going to make that much of a difference.

...of course, that's easier said than done.