Author Topic: Celtics trade Fab Melo for Donte Green (non-guaranteed contract)  (Read 29081 times)

Re: Celtics trade Fab Melo for Donte Green (non-guaranteed contract)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
should have taken the two picks last year and moved up...

what a waste...

I guess you can look at it like we did. If we moved up, would we have grabbed anybody better than Sullinger? Probably not...still, it was so obvious to everyone not named Ainge that there were other players to take with at least a little more promise (I get that PJIII isn't awesome, but Ezeli would have been nice).

Not holding onto Fab to see if he pans out even a little or to trade him for something other than a salary dump really just makes Ainge look foolish.

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't know why anybody would be happy that we just dumped a project center we spent a 1st round pick on just a year ago for absolutely nothing (Greene will get cut).

That #22 pick from last year just went from "probably a waste" to "definitely 100% a waste."

It gets the Celts below the luxury tax and avoids the repeater penalties, so that makes this trade worth it.  Danny could have gambled that we could make a similar trade at the deadline, but he must be thinking that there's a chance that the asking price for taking on Melo's contract would have gone up later in the season.

We couldn't get Washington to take on Melo for free last year.  Luckily, we found a sucker this year.
Eh, we could have sent the full 3 million dollars. In effect paying Memphis 1.4 million to rent a roster spot.

Not really being suckers then.

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm assuming this gets us the rest of the way under the tax.

I wonder who they are going to sign with the last roster spot.

Probably nobody.  It's very close, but reportedly even a vet minimum deal would put us over the tax.  We'd probably have enough for a rookie.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:40:52 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:50 PM »

Offline TheGreenMonster

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 40

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't know why anybody would be happy that we just dumped a project center we spent a 1st round pick on just a year ago for absolutely nothing (Greene will get cut).

That #22 pick from last year just went from "probably a waste" to "definitely 100% a waste."

I'm kind of happy we won't have to spend another year discussing his potential.

I'm surprised we were able to move him. I wonder whether Memphis sees something in Fab, or maybe it's just Chris Wallace doing the C's a solid to build good will for the future.

Oh - just saw that there was cash involved. That makes more sense.

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

It gets the Celts below the luxury tax and avoids the repeater penalties, so that makes this trade worth it.  Danny could have gambled that we could make a similar trade at the deadline, but he must be thinking that there's a chance that the asking price for taking on Melo's contract would have gone up later in the season.

We couldn't get Washington to take on Melo for free last year.  Luckily, we found a sucker this season.

Do we have enough room to stay under and re-sign Shav?

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Good job by Danny here. Greene's contract is non-guaranteed, allowing us to waive him and get our salary count down to 71.5 million (0.2 million under the tax threshold). This helps us avoid paying the harsh penalties of going over the luxury tax next year. If we go into the tax this year, that makes three years in a row and we'd have to pay huge sums of money if we wanted to go over the tax in future years.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 12:39:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm kind of happy we won't have to spend another year discussing his potential.

I'm surprised we were able to move him. I wonder whether Memphis sees something in Fab, or maybe it's just Chris Wallace doing the C's a solid to build good will for the future.

Oh - just saw that there was cash involved. That makes more sense.

Yeah, that's all good and well, though I never really felt the discussion about his "potential" was reasonable on either side.  People either wanted him to become an All-Star or felt he was never going to be an NBA player.

I still think there's a chance he becomes a decent 10-15 mpg backup. 

The thing that irks me really is that he was a guy we invested a draft pick and a year of development into and we gave him away. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
lol... even after his one great D-League game?  Shocker!

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 12:41:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Good job by Danny here. Greene's contract is non-guaranteed, allowing us to waive him and get our salary count down to 71.5 million (0.2 million under the tax threshold). This helps us avoid paying the harsh penalties of going over the luxury tax next year. If we go into the tax this year, that makes three years in a row and we'd have to pay huge sums of money if we wanted to go over the tax in future years.

We didn't need to get under the tax until the trade deadline.  I would have preferred to wait to see if there was a dump we could have made with Bass / Humphries / Lee where we get back less salary.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Question: Is the Boston beat/media out of the loop this summer with the trades and etc or are other teams just being more loose lipped?
My guess is that after press leaks killed the combined KG/Doc deal we're being more cautious.

Boston has been very tight about this stuff for years.  There are really very few leaks out of Boston's front office lately. 

(of course, this is assuming, what I believe, that the Clippers rumors came from LA)

Ugh..don't make me think about that entire Clippers debacle. I really do think a lot of the "leaks" were coming from LA.

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm assuming this gets us the rest of the way under the tax.

I wonder who they are going to sign with the last roster spot.

Probably nobody.  It's very close, but reportedly even a rookie minimum deal would put us over the tax.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but it's possible that the Celtics could sign someone to a partially guaranteed contract and waive him by the January deadline without going over the tax threshold.

Maybe they audition a couple of bigs in training camp hoping to make them one of the last cuts who can be assigned to the D-League and hold off on signing one of them to an NBA contract for as long as possible.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

We didn't need to get under the tax until the trade deadline.  I would have preferred to wait to see if there was a dump we could have made with Bass / Humphries / Lee where we get back less salary.

That's assuming someone takes them. Don't see any team taking Bass and Lee as they are not expiring contracts, especially Lee who has three years left on his contract. No one may want Humphries as well.

The deal was there to get under the tax right now so why not do it?
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Its hard to get a waiveable contract at that point. So Danny would be running a pretty big risk given how being above the luxury tax as a rebuilding team can hamstring you 2 to 3 years down the line potentially.

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

We couldn't get Washington to take on Melo for free last year.  Luckily, we found a sucker this season.

Do we have enough room to stay under and re-sign Shav?

Nope.  We've got around $500k available, according to the numbers on shamsports.  Let's say there's some wiggle room in that; there *might* be enough for a rookie minimum, but not enough for anybody with more experience than that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes