Author Topic: Entercom Fires WEEI Station Director Jason Wolfe  (Read 15953 times)

Entercom Fires WEEI Station Director Jason Wolfe
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/08/jason_wolfe_out_at_weei_entercom.html

Probaly overdue, D&C while the most knowledgable sports talk show in the area in the mornings has been losing steam for me ever since Meter left, Though I don't hate minihan. 

The afternoon drive show has been terrible.  Salk is terrible and Holley used to be great with Dale, but his politician-esque rebuttals to callers (picking out one minute detail they got wrong and going after it rather than addressing the bigger issue) has turned me off.

Ironically the show I hated at the begining "Mutt and Merloni" is now my favorite on the station.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Entercom Fires WEEI Station Director Jason Wolfe
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
SportsHub has really pushed those guys to the brink huh?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am amazed this took so long.  Regardless of whether you agree with the moves he has made, the bottom line is that he has been getting his butt handed to him by the competition for a couple years now.  At some point, he needs to be held responsible. 

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Chances are a couple years from now 93.7 will be just another ClearChannel Top 40 station.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Long overdue.  This move should've happened like 3-4 years ago. 

WEEI needs a serious overhaul.  Complacency & arrogance helped bring about that decline .

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Kinda shocking.

Here's an idea I keep thinking about for EEI:

In this day and age, aren't a TON of people getting out of their job well after 5 o'clock? Why not push Sulk & Holly (who I do like) back an hour to 6-7?

If you're in your car between then (and I'm guessing a ton of people are like me and are probably leaving work closer to 6 then 5) you're forced to listen to Mike Adams, who can't help them winning key demos or Mazz talking strictly baseball.

Wouldn't a great way to win people back to push Sulk & Holly to an hour more people can hear them when the competitions not that bad?

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Not a bad idea about the timeslot SO.  It's kinda funny, I have actually transferred over to 1510 AM on the afternoon drive to listen to Pete Sheppard.  Maybe its nostalgia, but I really like his takes most of the time, and he doesnt yell over callers anymore.  (also not many people call so you can get on the air almost immediately)

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:14:07 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Chances are a couple years from now 93.7 will be just another ClearChannel Top 40 station.

Interesting. An off topic, as upset as I am to lose 96.9 the comservative station (to counter the npr that is basically the only news station left), i must admit the addition of the new 96.9 and their not so oldies oldies and rush hour mix amd the new evolution on 101.7 the boston radio lamdscape has dramaticaly improved. Now i have the variety of listening to top 40, dance, news (especially bbc world news), and add some sprinkles of the emerson station i have everything i need.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Kinda shocking.

Here's an idea I keep thinking about for EEI:

In this day and age, aren't a TON of people getting out of their job well after 5 o'clock? Why not push Sulk & Holly (who I do like) back an hour to 6-7?

If you're in your car between then (and I'm guessing a ton of people are like me and are probably leaving work closer to 6 then 5) you're forced to listen to Mike Adams, who can't help them winning key demos or Mazz talking strictly baseball.

Wouldn't a great way to win people back to push Sulk & Holly to an hour more people can hear them when the competitions not that bad?

From everything I have heard about the radio business, this type of thing is just considered sacriligious.  The radio guys don't change anything.  It is all about the format, and you don't mess with it.  Part of that format is the timing of the shows. 

But, based on what is going on, it seems that EEI needs to do something dramatic to change things.  And the obvious thing is to get someone in there who is not married to the status quo of "how radio works".  Someone who would do things like what you suggest.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sheppard with a nice little rant to start off his show today addressing the Wolfe firing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Sheppard with a nice little rant to start off his show today addressing the Wolfe firing.

Wish I heard it, there really isnt much better than a good pete rant.  I imagine red face and spit flying everywhere.  Have you heard Pete's rant after the BC Army game last year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRDMXi44k6g

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 03:33:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Definitely a sign that Sports Hub is kicking WEEI's tail right now.

I can also see why.

It just seems like Sports Hub has more entertaining on-air talent than WEEI right now, even on the weekends.

Sports Hub also has the Pats and Bruins games, who now happen to be the two hottest teams in Boston.

It wouldn't even shock me if in the future, the Red Sox moved their broadcasts to the Sports Hub as well.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
From everything I have heard about the radio business, this type of thing is just considered sacriligious.  The radio guys don't change anything.  It is all about the format, and you don't mess with it.  Part of that format is the timing of the shows. 

But, based on what is going on, it seems that EEI needs to do something dramatic to change things.  And the obvious thing is to get someone in there who is not married to the status quo of "how radio works".  Someone who would do things like what you suggest.

Ya, I mean thats kind of the arrogance that got Wolfe fired. This idea that they're WEEI and that's all that matters, even when 2/3rds of the ship is underwater.

The counter argument is some issue with advertising I'm sure. But at the same time, seems like an argument that could be solved pretty quickly: there's more people in their cars between 6 and 7 then there is between 2 and 3

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
SportsHub has really pushed those guys to the brink huh?

I was thrilled when this station came on the air so i didn't have to listen to EEI any longer.  I just wish they had a decent morning group.  I don't like the juvenile approach the morning show has.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
As a WEEI employee it's been an interesting day over here. There have been some reporters camped outside the building trying to elicit a controversial comment from anyone and everyone who works here as they step outside the building.

I'm interested to see what the station does going forward, I think its an understatement to say that a change like this was inevitable.