Author Topic: NBA insiders - "Celts hit a home run, SHOCKED by how much value they got"  (Read 28402 times)

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
That trade was INCREDIBLE. We fleeced NJ. They were bidding against themselves and overpaid. 3 1st rounders and a swap?? Great haul for a a contract dump, and 2 older players clearly on the decline.

I would say NJ got the contract dump.  Wallace was by far the worst contract.

Gerald Wallace was almost a +13 in the playoffs despite NEVER getting the ball passed to him.  Also, this does not really account for his ABOVE AVERAGE defense.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/gerald_wallace/career_stats.html

Smitty77

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I don't see it. They traded 3 players (granted, all past their prime), 2 of which still are difference-makers, for:

A bad contract (Wallace).
An expensive expiring role player contract (Humphries).
An expiring end of bench guy contract (Bogans).
A chucker (Brooks).
A trade exception ($10.3M).
An all but guaranteed late first-rounder (2014).
Two future probable non-lottery picks (2016, 2018).
And the right to swap picks with a team with deep pockets (2017).

Which of these seem like anything worth bragging about?

Trade exceptions usually go unused. Big expirings usually don't net anything more than some overpaid veteran that a team no longer wants. Young, inefficient chuckers usually stay inefficient chuckers. The draft is always a crapshoot, and usually you don't find all-stars in the 20's.

I just don't see how this one cleared the fence. Shallow fly ball to me.

I totally agree that Paul Pierce WAS a "difference maker" FOR the Knicks in the playoffs!!!  Could NOT have been said any better.

Smitty77

I disagree. Pp struggled at times really badly and overall not the same calibre performance as the past. Some games by the half he went 2 for 9 , 1 for 6. Defense couldnt contain melo and def not against guys like shumpert when knicks played small ball. Green was better as well kg provided impact

Triboy,

You must have misread what I typed:-))  I meant that PP was SO BAD that he actually helped NY win the series.  Reread what I wrote.

Smitty77

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Gerald Wallace allowed Nate Robinson to be hid on him without punishing the Bulls. The combination of him and Reggie Evans killed the entire Nets offense everytime they were on the floor.

His playoff performance wasn't a good one.

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
The Cavaliers got a first rounder for taking on Wayne Ellington's salary for half a season.  They got an unprotected lottery pick (that turned into Kyrie Irving) for taking on the difference between Baron Davis' and Mo Williams salary.

Utah just got two first rounders and three second rounders for taking on a bunch of expiring contracts.

Late round first rounders are routinely bought and sold for anywhere from $1 million to $3 million, often with no other form of compensation.

I don't necessarily think that three draft picks is an amazing haul for giving up two players that will help NJ win now, and taking on Gerald Wallace's bad deal.  The trade exception is nice, but we'll see if it's ever utilized.

Roy,

I think that even you are underestimating how BAD this Nets team should be in 3 years!!  They will be borderline lotto at best unless their money bag owner is willing to continue to pay a huge luxury tax to only field a team that is NOT a championship level team.  I also think you are underestimating Gerald Wallace and the VERY STRONG likelihood that he will double his points per game this year and his well above average defense.  I live about 45 minutes from Time Warner Arena in Charlotte and I saw him play for many years.  He can ball on BOTH sides!!

Smitty77

I'm just not sure that it's particularly good value, based upon what we've seen from other teams.  Time will tell, though.  If we end up with three lottery picks out of it, then obviously it was a very good trade.

As for Wallace...  I'm not optimistic.

Over the past four years, his points per game have looked like this:

18.2 -> 15.7 -> 13.8 -> 7.7

His FG% over those four years:

48.4% -> 45.4% -> 45.4% -> 39.7%

His total rebounding percentage:

14.7% -> 12.8% -> 10.8% -> 9.1%

His True Shooting Percentage:

.586 -> .548 -> .547 -> .490

In other words, Wallace has been declining for four straight seasons.  It's pretty unlikely that he's going to bounce back, and it's virtually a certainty that he won't be doubling his production.

First, he ONLY had ONE bad FG% year and that was last year.  No one would argue that GW had a bad regular season Roy!!

Here are his minutes per game by year:

2009-1010:  41.0
2010-2011:  37.9
2011-2012: 35.8
2012-2013:  30.1

That is almost 11 minutes less than four years ago.  I am NOT saying he should play 41 per game, but he will NOW have a PG that will actually pass him the ball, unlike Deron in Brooklyn!!!!!!

Smitty77

P.S.  I will be proven right on this Roy:-)))

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
When is the earliest wallace could be waived?

The only logical way i see us getting rid of wallace is having a team take him if they want rondo. If we trade rondo that is.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
That trade was INCREDIBLE. We fleeced NJ. They were bidding against themselves and overpaid. 3 1st rounders and a swap?? Great haul for a a contract dump, and 2 older players clearly on the decline.

I would say NJ got the contract dump.  Wallace was by far the worst contract.

Gerald Wallace was almost a +13 in the playoffs despite NEVER getting the ball passed to him.  Also, this does not really account for his ABOVE AVERAGE defense.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/gerald_wallace/career_stats.html

Smitty77

Is he being paid to just be a one dimensional decent player or played like a major backbone to the team?

He is a player that played all out his entire career and his body is no longer the same and it has really hampered his game, especially offensively.  It isn't likely going to get better and probably will get worse. 

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The only logical way i see us getting rid of wallace is having a team take him if they want rondo. If we trade rondo that is.

There is ZERO chance of Wallace being waved.  Even in a worst case scenario, he will be very tradable as an expiring contract in two years, and they wouldn't give up on that, or give up on the chance to actually move him in a real deal before then just for...OK, I don't even know what the point would be of waiving him.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The Celtics can waive Wallace anytime they want to.  They'll just have to eat his guaranteed contract and have it count against the cap.

There's no pressing need to get rid of Wallace anytime soon, though.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference