Author Topic: NBA insiders - "Celts hit a home run, SHOCKED by how much value they got"  (Read 28401 times)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Lowe's right, we probably would've blown it up in the 2012 offseason if D-Rose hadn't blown out his knee.  Heck, I think if the Bulls got past Philly without Rose they probably still would've beaten us. 

But we matched up very well with Miami and had the experience and mindset to take it to them relentlessly, and mostly played great, so we all believed again and management had to roll the dice and run it back. 

It was a nice swan song but it was clear we'd need more and more luck to have any shot at a deep playoff run, so we blew it up.  And we were very lucky to get the package we did, even with the crappy Wallace deal.

It's a very good point. In a way, I almost wish the magical 2012 playoff run never happened because it ended up being a mirage.

Looking back, if we got bounced in the 2nd round by Chicago instead of beating Philly last year, Ainge likely could've started the rebuild one year earlier.

That would mean more value in a potential Paul Pierce and KG deal last summer (sign and trade KG as he was a FA) and likely wouldn't have become saddled with the contracts of Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee and Jason Terry.

Thus, that would mean we'd be in a better position today.

And going back even further, imagine if at the 2012 trade deadline, Danny was able to pull the trigger on dealing Ray for OJ Mayo and Pierce to Brooklyn for a first rounder which would've ended up being Damian Lillard.

Today we'd have a young, exciting lineup of Rondo, Lillard, Mayo, Green, Bradley, etc.

Oh well. Hindsight is always 20/20

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
But Rondo is the one that took us all the way to the ECF... ::)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
And going back even further, imagine if at the 2012 trade deadline, Danny was able to pull the trigger on dealing Ray for OJ Mayo and Pierce to Brooklyn for a first rounder which would've ended up being Damian Lillard.

Today we'd have a young, exciting lineup of Rondo, Lillard, Mayo, Green, Bradley, etc.

Your hindsight is far worse than 20/20

If Pierce is on the Nets, their record is much better. One or 2 more wins (I don't know how tiebreakers work for draft position) and the Nets drop 2 spots in the draft. Pierce adds a lot more wins than Wallace, even in just half a season.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Rajon Rondo was a non-lottery pick. Non-lottery 1st round picks can become excellent players. Boozer, Artest, Granger, David West, Tony Parker, Zack Randolph, Kevin Martin and Josh Smith were all second half of the first round picks.

Would people feel better if KG and Pierce were traded for 3 Avery Bradleys/Eric Bledsoes, both taken in the second half of the draft, but both with good trade value?

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Unless the Nets implode, just not a big fan. 

The Wallace contract is just awful. 

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Unless the Nets implode, just not a big fan. 

The Wallace contract is just awful.

Yup.

I would be much much more comfortable with the deal had we not received Wallace.

Although, one of those 1st round picks I'm sure was simply for agreeing to take Crash and his contract.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I understood the trade when the news first broke on draft night, but over time I've grown to really dislike it.  I'm still pretty bitter over it.

I get that the picks are valuable (especially today's NBA where GMs drool over 'future firsts') but none of those players, to me, are assets (not even Brooks).  Humphries and Bogans are expiring, so I guess they have a little bit of value (and that's being generous), but that Wallace contract is just horrible.

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Rajon Rondo was a non-lottery pick. Non-lottery 1st round picks can become excellent players. Boozer, Artest, Granger, David West, Tony Parker, Zack Randolph, Kevin Martin and Josh Smith were all second half of the first round picks.

Would people feel better if KG and Pierce were traded for 3 Avery Bradleys/Eric Bledsoes, both taken in the second half of the draft, but both with good trade value?
those happen once in a blue moon, the truth is you need a lotto pick to pick up a superstar.

you call all the first rounders avery bradley, but they can easily (and more likely) be jajuan johnson and fab melo.

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I will say this for sure about the timing of this trade being right where it needed to be. We got quite a bit in this trade for NJ to put themselves in great shape to win a championship. The roster right now is in much better shape than the roster the year before the KG and Ray deals.
Not to mention the assets we have acquired here. Future looks good to me.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think that the trade was close to maximum value and is significantly better than if the Celtics had been able to consummate the rumored Garnett for Jordan-and-a-pick and Pierce-to-Cleveland-for-two-seconds rumors.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
I will say this for sure about the timing of this trade being right where it needed to be. We got quite a bit in this trade for NJ to put themselves in great shape to win a championship. The roster right now is in much better shape than the roster the year before the KG and Ray deals.
Not to mention the assets we have acquired here. Future looks good to me.
whats NJ?

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I think it was quite a good deal, but then, I'm viewing it as either getting 3 firsts or getting nothing and letting them walk.  Considering I don't think we were contenders with them, then I'd way rather have 3 firsts, even late firsts, than nothing.

I think it would be smart to rehab Humphries' value at the beginning of the season.  A quality rebounder like Hump could look like a good addition as a half season rental to a contender come trade deadline time.  I could see him landing us an asset around then.

To me, the only way you don't like this deal for the Celtics is if you really were adamant about letting PP and possibly KG retire as Celtics, and regard this as just a horrible way to treat players (the butthurt angle).  I'm so glad we don't have a GM who bases his decisions on emotion. 

Purely from an assets perspective going forward, and where we were at as a franchise (i.e., no longer a contender even with those guys), it was clearly the right decision and a great haul for PP and KG and Doc (might as well include him as well). 

A rebuild was just around the corner anyway.  Now we have 4 additional firsts for our rebuild, whether we use the big TPE or not.  The actions taken this summer should really help the rebuild be a lot shorter than it would have been if we'd just kept them and let them retire here.  It was the right basketball decision.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

If Pierce is on the Nets, their record is much better. One or 2 more wins (I don't know how tiebreakers work for draft position) and the Nets drop 2 spots in the draft. Pierce adds a lot more wins than Wallace, even in just half a season.

I wasn't wearing my prescription contacts.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
So, I read the entire thread and I don't see anyone mentioning how great it is what we got because KG HAD A NO TRADE CLAUSE! No way we get better offers for KG by a team he would actually go to. I mean, PP said he had to convince (beg) KG to go to BKN... look at how stacked BKN is and he had to be begged to go there and he only went because of PP! So you have to ask yourself what team could offer more for KG and PP (who KG made a package deal). Then ask yourself who was going to take Jet off our hands? We couldn't get DJ for KG b/c the league was like heck no! They didn't want KG without Doc and that was the only reason KG would go there anyway! Then you factor in the ages of those guys...

We got a heck of a lot considering our hands were tied! I don't need to see how the picks turn out to say we got a excellent return.

I hate the trade but it has NOTHING to do with what we got in return.

So what we pay Wallace 1 mil more than Green and probably 3 or so more than he is worth. That is the only negative (not as bad to me) part of the trade!

I think we keep Hump and sign him to a smaller contract next season. B/c I don't care about Hump outside of bball the way I see most of you do, his personal life has no bearing on what he does on the court unless it's illegal... the guy is a solid player and very hard worker with an expiring deal (yea overpaid but EXPIRING) I expect Brooks to keep improving he's only 25 (he upped his shooting % and when he had a couple opportunities to start he played really well last season). Bogans will either expire or be traded (will be an excellent mentor, locker room presence, and leader). Wallace probably won't return to Cats form but I expect his production to rise.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

True.  If Brooklyn was willing to throw in that lotto pick for Pierce we might've gotten stuck with Andre Drummond instead.   :P