Author Topic: Dallas - Celtics Trade Idea  (Read 3150 times)

Dallas - Celtics Trade Idea
« on: August 04, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Dallas is trying to make the playoffs.  They are fully committed to adding pieces around Dirk to ensure they get the most out of his last year.  They have also shown the willingness to take risks on reclamation projects like Chandler, Carter etc.

Dallas sends:
Carter, Marion and Larkin

Boston sends:
Wallace, Lee and Melo

Boston gains financial flexiblity and a solid prospect. 
Dallas gets younger, more athletic and adds depth for the next few years. 

Calderon - Harris - Mekel
Ellis - Lee - Ledo
Wallace - Crowder
Nowitzki - Blair - James
Wright - Dalembert - Melo
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

Re: Dallas - Celtics Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 02:28:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Younger doesn't allows equate to better, a point lost on so many here at Celticsblog.

I find that bothe Marion and Carter, although older than Wallace and Lee, are much better players, currently, and that larkin is a much better prospect than Melo.

So the Mavs give up three better players than the three they are getting and take on more long term salary. I just do not see this having any chance of happening.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I like it but Dallas says no.

They take on way too much salary.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I agree that Dallas is in a win-now mode.

I also agree with nick and gpap that Dallas won't take on the longer salaries for lesser players.

I think that they could use Hump a lot more than they can use Crash. That would be a pretty good frontcourt of Dirk/Dalembert/B.Wright/Humphries. Crowder will take over for Marion, but that leaves Dallas a little thin at SF.

How about this: Humphries for Marion/Larkin/Ledo?

Both Humphries and Marion are expirings, so that's almost a wash money-wise for both. Hump, I think, would be more valuable to Dallas than Marion. Hump is in a contract year. He will get back to his double double form. If Dallas believes this, they might bite.

Larkin and Ledo become our backcourt of the future.

Does Hump push Dallas over the hump?

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I agree that Dallas is in a win-now mode.

I also agree with nick and gpap that Dallas won't take on the longer salaries for lesser players.

I think that they could use Hump a lot more than they can use Crash. That would be a pretty good frontcourt of Dirk/Dalembert/B.Wright/Humphries. Crowder will take over for Marion, but that leaves Dallas a little thin at SF.

How about this: Humphries for Marion/Larkin/Ledo?

Both Humphries and Marion are expirings, so that's almost a wash money-wise for both. Hump, I think, would be more valuable to Dallas than Marion. Hump is in a contract year. He will get back to his double double form. If Dallas believes this, they might bite.

Larkin and Ledo become our backcourt of the future.

Does Hump push Dallas over the hump?

This sounds great in theory but then we would have 17 guaranteed contracts with only 15 roster spots.   

I think trades will have to be either equal numbers going both ways or the 3 for 2, 2 for 1 variety where if we can extract a protected future first that would be a bonus.  Maybe include Melo and Crawford (also expiring contract)  and Dallas throws in a protected first for this trade?

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:17:19 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
I agree that Marion is probably too productive for them to trade. 

I am sure they would consider Lee and Melo for Carter and Larkin.  While Vince Carter was shockingly good last year, Courtney Lee is almost a decade younger. 

Shane Larkin is behind Calderon, Harris and Mekel in terms of experience.  I am not sure if he is in their plans for the future.  Their center rotation is held together by Brandon Wright, Samuel Dalembert and the undersized Bernard James.  They probably do not mind developing Melo in the D League until he is ready to contribute.

Larkin was drafted in the same range as Melo in what is considered to be a much weaker draft.  He is also very small.  I am not sure if he is a better prospect than Melo for now.  He might prove to be one in the future.  Trading them helps both team balance their roster a little more. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I think Wallace and Lee for Marion and Carter straight up would work for both teams, as the Mavs get better defense and good complementary players for their other starters. The C's gain financial flexibility. I wouldn't ask for Larkin.

But maybe Wallace's contract is too much for Dallas. Then, ans csfansince60s said, Humphries could be a better fit for the Mavs. I'd just swap Humphries for Crash and go Humphries and Lee for Marion+Carter and maybe a future pick. That still works for both teams, even without the pick the Cs would manage to cut some salary and avoid the luxury tax. Of course, this trade should be made after the start of the season, and Lee/Humphries would need to show they can be more productive than Marion and Carter at this stage. Last season they didn't show that.

If the trade was made, the Cs would be sitting on an interesting roster (a bit unbalanced but still):

Rondo/Bradley/Pressey
Carter/Crawford/Brooks/Bogans
Green/Wallace/Marion
Sully/Bass/
Olynyk/Fav/Fab

Marion+Carter+Crawford+Bogans = 20M in expirings at the end of next season, if they weren't moved at the deadline.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Dallas is trying to make the playoffs.  They are fully committed to adding pieces around Dirk to ensure they get the most out of his last year.  They have also shown the willingness to take risks on reclamation projects like Chandler, Carter etc.

Dallas sends:
Carter, Marion and Larkin

Boston sends:
Wallace, Lee and Melo

Boston gains financial flexiblity and a solid prospect. 
Dallas gets younger, more athletic and adds depth for the next few years. 

Calderon - Harris - Mekel
Ellis - Lee - Ledo
Wallace - Crowder
Nowitzki - Blair - James
Wright - Dalembert - Melo

Dallas are even more commited to being able to add max contract players until they get their man. Meanwhile they want to stay competitive, but they will not sacrifice their flexibility to get players like Wallace and Lee.