Author Topic: 2013 CelticsBlog Draft - 25 Teams Total - Draft Lottery Morning of 8/16  (Read 79673 times)

Re: 2013 CelticsBlog Draft (recruiting GMs)
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Regarding salaries. this is my take:

The Pick 2 Draft recently changed to include salaries. You can build your team from scratch and do so within a salary cap environment, so for those looking for that type of experience, play the Pick 2 when it comes up, its usually around the All-Star game. It doesn't crown a winner but we all usually judge how we do against how well the team is built versus the real life team we are representing.

The DKC is also a salary keeper league that emulates the real NBA and has the unique addition of free agency as well as being able to run the league during the season and adjust according to how your players are actually playing. Its is new and seems like a lot of fun. It may or may not crown a winner, I guess the DKC office will tell you who are playing it sooner or later.

So if you want drafts with salaries, those are the games to be playing. If you are looking for the original CB Draft experience with playoffs and pressers and awesome basketball debate and lots of trades and drafting, this is the right place to be.

There's also the Historical Draft, which this year will feature a format where each GM will have to draft and trade players but in the end to qualify for awards will have to have 3 players from each of 5 different eras on their team after the draft ends.(An idea I was mulling around but then Roy came up with the same thing and actual eras which I really liked). That will take place in May.

That's my take as well.  The CB Draft is, and always has been, about putting the best possible team on the court.  I think adding a salary structure would change the fundamental nature of the draft.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Speaking of rule changes...

I've kicked the idea around of doing an "auction" for the right to draft Lebron.  It would give every GM a shot at him, and a panel could decide who won the auction (with the currency being draft picks). 

The counter-argument to that is that a Lebron team that also had Wade and Bosh came very close to losing in the Finals, and would have lost but for a choke job by San Antonio.  Therefore, having Lebron doesn't guarantee anything (which is why he's 1-for-4 in these drafts, I believe.)

Anyway, that's something to discuss in the future; it's not for this year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

I've kicked the idea around of doing an "auction" for the right to draft Lebron.  It would give every GM a shot at him, and a panel could decide who won the auction (with the currency being draft picks). 

The counter-argument to that is that a Lebron team that also had Wade and Bosh came very close to losing in the Finals, and would have lost but for a choke job by San Antonio.  Therefore, having Lebron doesn't guarantee anything (which is why he's 1-for-4 in these drafts, I believe.)

So, for example, someone would offer their first and second round picks for the right to Lebron?

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Idea: Auction off the entire draft. If you go 13 rounds (or 15, or whatever) everyone starts off with 15 'points'. Points give priority in each round. If you don't devote a point to a round you go to a queue for last. The round is randomized according to the priority of points. Example:

15 total teams, Round 3

3 Points: Teams 1,3,5
2 Points: Teams 2,4,6
1 Point: Teams 7,8,9,10
0 Points: Teams 11,12,13,14,15

So you randomly pick from teams 1,3, and 5 at equal odds for picks 1, 2, and 3.

Randomly pick from teams 2, 4, and 6 for picks 4-6

Randomly pick from teams 7,8,9,10 for picks 7-10

etc..

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Idea: Auction off the entire draft. If you go 13 rounds (or 15, or whatever) everyone starts off with 15 'points'. Points give priority in each round. If you don't devote a point to a round you go to a queue for last. The round is randomized according to the priority of points. Example:

15 total teams, Round 3

etc..

Im not sure i understand this, all I know is halfway through reading it my eyeballs started bleeding.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

15 total teams, Round 3

etc..

Im not sure i understand this, all I know is halfway through reading it my eyeballs started bleeding.

That's how my brain works ALL THE TIME.

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

15 total teams, Round 3

etc..

Can you tell me how many toothpicks are on the floor?

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

15 total teams, Round 3

etc..

Can you tell me how many toothpicks are on the floor?

First, I'd need to create a spreadsheet to gauge how accurate my toothpick counting skills were. Then, I'd need to have a ranking panel of judges verify if the changing conditions of the toothpick counting would affect my average accuracy. Finally, I'd need to randomly introduce a variable to account for the random chance inherent in all life's counting situations.

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
First, I'd need to create a spreadsheet to gauge how accurate my toothpick counting skills were. Then, I'd need to have a ranking panel of judges verify if the changing conditions of the toothpick counting would affect my average accuracy. Finally, I'd need to randomly introduce a variable to account for the random chance inherent in all life's counting situations.

What would Travis Outlaw, Andris Biedrins, and Derrick Williams have to say about your toothpick accuracy?

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2013, 11:35:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

What would Travis Outlaw, Andris Biedrins, and Derrick Williams have to say about your toothpick accuracy?

They'd say the raw numbers made sense at the time, but initial tooth pick projections for one reason or another just didn't pan out.

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just so that people know, the CB Draft, if you didn't read the rules, will be starting on August 19th. I will be doing the CB Draft Lottery on Friday, August 16th, time to be determined, and trade negotiations can proceed. Remember, only one trade per team prior to the start of the draft.

After the first pick is made, other trades can be sent to the commissioner for approval. Please, have only one trade in the office at one time.

So we have about 10 days to recruit more GMs and to get the GMs currently looking for co-GMs to get together or find a co-GM on their own.

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Just to confirm, this is basically drafting the best contender possible? As soon as the draft is over, everyone immediately proceeds to review everyone's teams and crown a winner? Basically, there will be no "regular season" where GMs can make trades and make FA acquisitions?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just to confirm, this is basically drafting the best contender possible? As soon as the draft is over, everyone immediately proceeds to review everyone's teams and crown a winner? Basically, there will be no "regular season" where GMs can make trades and make FA acquisitions?
Its basically a draft where trades are also allowed. The drafting will end on or about August 29th and there will be a short period for teams to get their rosters in order with final trades and such over the weekend. By Monday night, September 2nd, final rosters will have to be presented to the league office(me or a thread I set up).

Then for the next 3 days there will be press conferences, 2 divisions per day, for all teams. This is where GMs can present their teams and field questions from people about their teams. That Friday, Sept. 6th, voting will occur in which all GMs can vote, listing how they would rank each conference from top to bottom, excluding their team. Others who follow the draft will also be allowed to vote.

Top 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs and playoff voting for pairings based on the regular season seedings will begin Monday September 9th and run through the end of the week. Also that week, awards such as "Team of the Future" and "Best Win-Now Team" will occur.

So that's the basic format.

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Thanks for the clarification, nick.

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
YOU are Co-Doomed!!!!!!

Maybe the other half of Abbot and Costello is retired
but the Crotor part is still kicking and playing some hardcore heavy metal.

Clarification: I am looking for one of the already registered general manager to co gm. What I can give, only a couple of rings to the table. Call me ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!