Author Topic: 2013 CelticsBlog Draft - 25 Teams Total - Draft Lottery Morning of 8/16  (Read 79697 times)

Re: 2014 CelticsBlog Draft (recruiting GMs and Commissioners)
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 12:54:36 AM »

fitzhickey

I'm interested in being a co-gm with someone if there is space

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Looks to be as many as five guys interested in having a co-GM. Some of you might want to hit each other up via PM to explore the possibility whether you think teaming up together would be a good fit for each other.

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Sorry guys, can't be a GM (or co-GM for that matter) this year.

I will be a spectator and a voter, though.

Good luck to all who choose to participate.

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I will be sitting this round out, but I'll say this:

I think the 'hyper competitiveness' of this draft is terribly overstated. I think for the past 3-4 years it's been overall pretty pleasant. A little turbulence here and there, but nothing that hurt the overall experience for me.

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 12:45:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I will be sitting this round out, but I'll say this:

I think the 'hyper competitiveness' of this draft is terribly overstated. I think for the past 3-4 years it's been overall pretty pleasant. A little turbulence here and there, but nothing that hurt the overall experience for me.

I agree with this, and that's coming from one of the guys who has battled in two of the most tightly contested finals in recent years.

With that, here's IP's 3-step guide to navigating the diplomatic waters of the CB Draft:

1) You're gonna make mistakes. You'll draft a guy, and people will say, 'incredible reach' or some other such comment. You'll make a trade, and someone will say something that basically breaks down to 'I think you got screwed, the other team or your own poor judgement got the better of you'. You can engage people on these points if you want, and tell them how insightful you are and how wrong they are, but in my experience, people forget these things rather quickly, and sometimes, just metaphorically shrugging and pretending you don't care, or better, simply marshaling your competitive nature and actually not caring is a much more potent rejoinder than any witty snarky comeback you can manage.

2) People will say negative things about your team. Sometimes it will seem academic, and that should not bother you. Sometimes, it will seem personal, and your paranoid overly competitive side aside, sometimes it might even be personal. The one that always bothers the hell out of me is, 'IPs team is good, but don't get taken in by his silver tongue. He's one of the best at it and he makes a really good case, but lets not let his propaganda confuse us with reality'. Oh man do I hate that. But you gotta realize one thing; engaging in personal squabbles will make you seem like a jerk, even if your point is valid. It makes the game less fun, and makes you seem petty. no matter what, avoid personally slanted comments coming from your side. Not only is it against site rules, it's just poor form.

3) Sometimes, it's best to not make enemies. When you see someone make a trade, a pick, or an argument that you disagree with, don't come down on them like a ton of bricks. If you want to objectively state your opinion, do it, but understand two things; do not violate rule number 2, and also understand that no matter how smart or well informed you think you are, there are smarter and better informed people out there, and you really might be wrong. So when you criticize teams, always make the person you're criticizing understand that you disagree with their pick, trade, or argument, but you very well might be wrong.

Good: "I don't think drafting Nerlens Noel in the third round is a move Id make, since he probably won't be up to speed until at least February, but a lot of people are high on him, and I get the appeal."

Bad: "How can you possibly justify drafting Noel this early? He's a raw prospect, recovering from major injury, and won't even be playing organized basketball until after the new year! Could've waited another 2 rounds and you'd still be reaching for him!"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:04:30 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 07:00:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Gotta say, SO and IP are right. The hypercompetitiveness has definitely been curtailed over the last 3-4 years and IP's guide is pretty much what I was saying. Make your opinions known but do so in a manner that doesn't offend. Promote and defend your team but do so without the personal stuff.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:54:53 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
its still a competitive league, but i think the nastiness and back and forth jabs are all but gone save for a few isolated incidents.

people that have done this before know what its all about, but people who dont should know its far from the dogfight its sometimes billed as. overall, its a very fun experience.

ill try and give some basic strategy tips at some point during the day for all of you who want to hear from an actual champion.

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
also, id love to see someone offer their first 3 picks for lebron

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
'IPs team is good, but don't get taken in by his silver tongue. He's one of the best at it and he makes a really good case, but lets not let his propaganda confuse us with reality'.

Quoted for truth.  ;D

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: 2013 CelticsBlog Draft (recruiting GMs and Commissioners)
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 09:42:33 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Good rules, though I have always had a love hate relationship with the only one trade before the draft starts rule. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Good rules, though I have always had a love hate relationship with the only one trade before the draft starts rule.

First I've heard of it and I kind of like it. Makes you much more judicious in your trading talks.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

First I've heard of it and I kind of like it. Makes you much more judicious in your trading talks.

Well you still see alot of trade talks but only one can be official.  The big reason for this is that it helps the market find its level as to what certain assets are worth.  Gives people time to digest.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
still looking for lots more GM's

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
'IPs team is good, but don't get taken in by his silver tongue. He's one of the best at it and he makes a really good case, but lets not let his propaganda confuse us with reality'.

Quoted for truth.  ;D

Seconded and learned it the hard way.

Which is why it kind of sucks that he may not be competing this year.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: 2013 CelticsBlog Draft (recruiting GMs)
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Are salary caps enforced?