Author Topic: Trade Idea with Knicks  (Read 11276 times)

Re: Trade Idea with Knicks
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I actually LOVE this idea at the moment, except I don't see the Knicks taking on Bass as well. They can probably sell taking on Wallace if he can improve over his dismal season last year, but taking on Bass negates half of the value of Humprhies' expiring deal since he is on the hook for 6m next season.

I really don't think Bass would be the sticking point. The Knicks could amnesty Amar'e next offseason and still be over the salary cap, so it's not like Bass's salary costs them any flexibility.  I think a team like NY is one of the better places for Bass to wind up, since his salary for 2014 doesn't get in the way of any of their plans.  If they don't take him, it's $7 million less that they spend, but that $7 million can't go to a different player, and his roster spot isn't a waste, since he's a capable frontcourt contributor, even if slightly overpaid.

I definitely think Wallace would be the bigger problem, as his deal runs beyond Carmelo's, and they'd like to add another star around him.  Still, it'd be a movable expiring for a sign-and-trade by the time the 2015-2016 season rolls around, and if he bounces back a little over the next two years, it won't be nearly the impediment that it is today.

No, they can't.

New York amnestied Chauncey Billups to sign Tyson Chandler.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I actually LOVE this idea at the moment, except I don't see the Knicks taking on Bass as well. They can probably sell taking on Wallace if he can improve over his dismal season last year, but taking on Bass negates half of the value of Humprhies' expiring deal since he is on the hook for 6m next season.

I really don't think Bass would be the sticking point. The Knicks could amnesty Amar'e next offseason and still be over the salary cap, so it's not like Bass's salary costs them any flexibility.  I think a team like NY is one of the better places for Bass to wind up, since his salary for 2014 doesn't get in the way of any of their plans.  If they don't take him, it's $7 million less that they spend, but that $7 million can't go to a different player, and his roster spot isn't a waste, since he's a capable frontcourt contributor, even if slightly overpaid.

I definitely think Wallace would be the bigger problem, as his deal runs beyond Carmelo's, and they'd like to add another star around him.  Still, it'd be a movable expiring for a sign-and-trade by the time the 2015-2016 season rolls around, and if he bounces back a little over the next two years, it won't be nearly the impediment that it is today.

No, they can't.

New York amnestied Chauncey Billups to sign Tyson Chandler.

Sorry, I misstated my point.  The point was that IF the Knicks COULD amnesty Amar'e, they'd still be over the salary cap, so taking on Bass' salary next year should not be a sticking point, because they're so far over the cap.  It doesn't matter that they in actuality cannot.  It was merely to demonstrate that they have little to lose by taking on 2014-2015 salary in a trade in which they get rid of Stoudamire, since the alternative of taking back no salary next year leaves them in the same situation minus whatever utility they'd get from the player (who's salary they're paying) that they took back.

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 04:06:36 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
TP
Even though this trade idea has been brought up more than a few times since the Nets trade

I think the trade makes sense. Let Amare get a change of scenery and a chance to play outside of the spotlight, as a number 3 or 4 option rather than the no 2 guy.
And let him play C next to Sully and Kelly

Rondo, Bradley/Brooks, Green, Sully/Kelly, Amare
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If we swallow Stat's contract, AND give them a productive expiring in an area of need in Humphries, the least we should get is Schumpert for our troubles.

Something like Hump (expiring), Bass and Bogans (expiring) for Stat and Schumpert.

HUMP for SCHUMP!! ;)

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
If we swallow Stat's contract, AND give them a productive expiring in an area of need in Humphries, the least we should get is Schumpert for our troubles.

Something like Hump (expiring), Bass and Bogans (expiring) for Stat and Schumpert.

HUMP for SCHUMP!! ;)

It's Shump not Schump.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

HUMP for SCHUMP!! ;)

I'd be more than happy to take Shumpert off their hands, but I don't think the Knicks are in a hurry to 'throw in' their only young potential star and take on an extra year in Wallace just to get rid of a player who could be very productive for them.

I see the OPs trade as plausible and one that would get me a bit excited, although I am not one of those who thinks Wallace's contract is the worst in NBA history as so many others around here do.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Both the Celtics and Knicks have contracts and players that don't work for them.  What if we swapped?

Knicks get:
Humphries
Bass
Wallace

Celtics get:
Stoudamire
Earl Barron (S&T to make salaries work)

The Knicks are paying Amar'e $44 million over the next two years, and their hope is he can play 20 minutes a night.  With Tyson Chandler also beginning to break down, the Knicks front court is getting a little shallow.  This gives them two healthy players to fill the breach at the 4/5.  Wallace's contract isn't great, but he'd be very functional in a backup role, and could lighten Anthony's load a bit.  And his contract looks a lot less worse in the context of Stoudamire's.  The Knicks add payroll (and luxury tax owed this year) but wipe off about $6.5 million next year (and against the more expensive repeater tax) so they're coming out near the same in dollars.  The biggest downside is Wallace's contract in 2015, but by then it will be in its final year and easier to move.

The Celtics clear payroll and roster spots this year, getting beneath the luxury tax and clearing some of the power forward glut.  They take on more salary next year, but were probably over the cap anyways, and clear Wallace's contract for more room in Rondo's free agency year.  Meanwhile, Stoudamire could be a great fit with Rondo, and with all the bodies the Celtics will still have at the 4/5, he doesn't need to play all that many minutes.  If the Celtics get really lucky, he has a somewhat rejuvinating year, and decides to opt of his contract to procure one last long-term deal (a la Iggy), which clears a ton of cap room for next season.  If not, they're not much worse off than when they started, and have yet another trade exception, this one around $8.6 million, and another non-guaranteed contract, to acquire things at the deadline or next offseason.

Thoughts?  Does New York say no because trading Stoudamire makes it look like they failed?  Am I underrating him?  Is his uninsurable contract an issue for the Celtics? Does someone need a pick going their direction?

No way.  It would not be smart for anyone to trade for Amare

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 12:04:34 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
TP to the OP. I would like the trade if it went down.

Add a Knicks pick and I would love it.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 04:05:09 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I like it. Stoudemire still showed that he could play at an above-average level for a couple of months last season, before he got hurt. It would clear up playing time and fix our PF log jam. Stoudemire would also be a good tutor for Sully - STAT is a master at being the roll man in pick n rolls. He and Rondo would be great, and maybe Sully could pick up a thing or two.

Amare only played 2 months last season.

The synergy between Rondo and Stoudemire would be when they car pool to the knee doctor.

Stat is the worst contract in basketball. He barely plays and he gets paid a ton.

I do agree that if he could play 70 games, he could be fun to watch (though the constant injuries have to take a toll on his speed).

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:21 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am in the No camp on this one.  Amare is a bad contract (really bad) and has shown no evidence is would even be able to play.

I think Wallace is going to have some trade value so I think we can do better.

I would rather trade a package like this with the Lakers for Pau for example.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Amare's contract will be an albatross if he can't play this season; No thanks, pass for me.

Well, the benefit is that Amare's deal only has 1 year left after this season, compared to the 2 years left for Wallace. 

What this deal does is maximize cap space for the C's in the summer of 2015.  It also does give them an interesting chance to keep a winning (or at least entertaining) team for the near term, if Staudemire can somehow get healthy.

While he will never be the player he used to be, the C's would be able to put him at center, which could help him get close to where he was before Melo and Chandler came to NY.  He is one of the best pick and roll big men in the league, and would really help Rondo, and could fit in well with a fun, up tempo team, as the C's continue trying to collect assets and develop young guys.

And next season, he will be tradable as an expiring contract...although with a contract his size, it won't be easy to find a match. 

This deal is by no means a home run.  But it is the kind of realistic deal that works for both teams on some level, that could actually happen.