Author Topic: Shavlik: Today is decision time  (Read 28539 times)

Re: Shavlik: Today is decision time
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
He led the team in rebounds per minutes.  Hard work beats talent when talent fails.to work hard. Kevin Durant said.that I think.

I mean I love Shav, and I'm an advocate. But can we stop overrating him.. Shav at best wasn't even a good back up big until we acquired him. He's a good hustle guy who'll put in work, and hustle hard to grab any offensive/defensive rebounds. But the matter of the fact is we already have plenty of those guys.

I like him, simply because he's the underdog, and I love his name ;).

Shav at best is a 6 pt and 6-7 rebound per 10-12 minute kind of guy. Isn't tall, needs to bulk up, gets bullied around by bigger men easily, and at times is too wrapped up with fouls. Of course fouls can change over time.

But we need to stop overrating Shav... At best he's a back up 3rd PF/C. Which we already have abundance of.

Keep him if we can trim the roster, and waive him if we can't.

Why in god's name wouldn't you want that lol

Because I'm not a homer.

Shav grabbed career high rebounds against the Cavs/Hawks. The Hawks had Horford out due to an injury. Had Horford been in there, who would've known how the rebounding would've gone to our side? The Cavs? Nuff said.

Shav is good as a 10-12th man off the bench, with high energy, and hustle for 5-10 minutes. But that is his best. That's like if he somehow snorted a line of coke, and proceeded to chase after every rebound in the span of 5-10 minutes.

At his normal rate, or normal rate of usage per minute, I can see Shav grabbing 3-4 rebounds, and scoring maybe 2-4 points in 10 minutes. That isn't bad, and that isn't good.

People need to stop acting like this guy is amazing.. A few weeks ago before he ever emerged, a lot of people were crying in disgust, saying we got him instead of K-Mart/Birdman?!?!

Keep Shav if you can trim the roster, and waive him if you can't. Shav is overrated on this board, and at best is a 3rd string back up PF/C. Can probably average 2.4 PPG and 3.1 RPG on 8-12 minutes. Nothing more, and nothing less.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
He led the team in rebounds per minutes.  Hard work beats talent when talent fails.to work hard. Kevin Durant said.that I think.

I mean I love Shav, and I'm an advocate. But can we stop overrating him.. Shav at best wasn't even a good back up big until we acquired him. He's a good hustle guy who'll put in work, and hustle hard to grab any offensive/defensive rebounds. But the matter of the fact is we already have plenty of those guys.

Shav at best is a 6 pt and 6-7 rebound per 10-12 minute kind of guy. Isn't tall, needs to bulk up, gets bullied around by bigger men easily, and at times is too wrapped up with fouls. Of course fouls can change over time.

But we need to stop overrating Shav... At best he's a back up 3rd PF/C. Which we already have abundance of.

That's only a 20-20 per 36.  Not worth the vet min.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 06:51:38 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm still trying to figure out what skills Fab has.

He's seven feet tall.  Weren't some posters whining about lack of height last season?

Yeah, and I was one of them, but I'd rather have a 6-10 guy who can rebound than a 7-footer who can't (and can't do much else, either).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 07:14:34 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

LOL IKR, garbage.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

LOL IKR, garbage.

Yeah so funny...

Because Shav could really put up those numbers..

Shav would dream of the day he even puts up 16/10 in 20-25 minutes.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

LOL IKR, garbage.

Yeah so funny...

Because Shav could really put up those numbers..

Shav would dream of the day he even puts up 16/10 in 20-25 minutes.

What's even more funny is that no one said he could but in context, 6 & 6 in 10-12mins is not bad at all, especially when that person costs you pennies! Using 20-20 is only to show how absurd it is to think  6-6 is not good, given the minutes played.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
The sad thing is that he is a more balanced player than Humphries; but until we can unload him we are stuck. That and the Faverani deal sealed his fate.

T Will
D Christmas
Marcus Landry
DJ White
S Randolph

Wonder how this lineup would fair in D league?

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-boston-celtics-retain-shavlik-randolph-151400463.html

did anyone read this article.....rebounds..!!! And more....of course THIS article is from a professional sports reporter...so I imagine some here are sure they know better..!   ::)

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-boston-celtics-retain-shavlik-randolph-151400463.html

did anyone read this article.....rebounds..!!! And more....of course THIS article is from a professional sports reporter...so I imagine some here are sure they know better..!   ::)
I read the article. Its all about some really bad look at Shav's stats.

Aren't you the guy that said stats should only be used to measure anvils?

What happens to Randolph will once again, like Terrence Williams, come down to a business decision. A fiscal business decision. He is a player with severe limitations and the Celtics have a slew of players at the same position that can do what he does. His skills are redundant on the roster so the smart business decision will probably be to not pick up the contract.

Now as I said, if he is kept, its probably because there is a deal in place to move other people, or maybe even him because the Celtics have made the business decision to save money and not pay the luxury tax this year.

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It's a bit of a stretch to call Sloan Piva a professional sports writer, no offense to him (or you, if you're him -- Mark Evans, another "Yahoo Contributor", definitely re-posts his articles here, and they're terrible).

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2013, 10:50:48 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

I read the article. Its all about some really bad look at Shav's stats.

Aren't you the guy that said stats should only be used to measure anvils?

What happens to Randolph will once again, like Terrence Williams, come down to a business decision. A fiscal business decision. He is a player with severe limitations and the Celtics have a slew of players at the same position that can do what he does. His skills are redundant on the roster so the smart business decision will probably be to not pick up the contract.

Now as I said, if he is kept, its probably because there is a deal in place to move other people, or maybe even him because the Celtics have made the business decision to save money and not pay the luxury tax this year.

With or w/o Shav, we will be paying. We have to move someone else. It's pretty much dropping Shav with no benefit except for his roster spot... which we don't have to get down for a few more months now. This isn't a good business move, to me. Now, if you need to drop him b/c we wont have a way to rid ourselves of someone else, then do it for the spot. I like Crawford but I'd rather keep Shav... I don't care if Crawford gets us a 2nd round pick in 2020, we have enough people in his spot to withstand losing him easily. Shav is excess too but look at who they are Fab, Hump, Fav, Sully, and KO... of the bunch only Hump is proven and Sully is semi-proven coming off of season ending surgery.

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2013, 10:54:05 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
So I guess he's staying? I haven't heard anything and it doesnt seem like they'd waive him this late
DKC Suns

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
So I guess he's staying? I haven't heard anything and it doesnt seem like they'd waive him this late
I am quite positive the deadline is tomorrow.  They can waive Randolph before or on Aug. 1st. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I am quite positive the deadline is tomorrow.  They can waive Randolph before or on Aug. 1st.

I agree.  Per shamsports: "Second year fully unguaranteed, becoming fully guaranteed if not waived on or before August 1st 2013."

One more day of keep Shav threads!

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 11:25:40 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Seems pretty simple.

He's as good as gone.

Simple numbers game, both money and spots.

Don't need him now, not developing him for the future.

Let's talk about our good players...