Author Topic: Red Sox in talks to acquire Jake Peavy  (Read 10957 times)

Re: Red Sox in talks to acquire Jake Peavy
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Peavy just isn't anything near what he used to be .  Too injured, and not that good anymore.  His ERA this season is 4.58, which is rather average (even for the AL).

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jake-peavy-is-not-matt-garza-might-be-better/in

I'm not sure i completely agree with that, but Peavys ERA is kind of bloated by an abnormal year allowing HR's. If it regresses to his career mean, his ERA is likey in the mid to high 3's. His periphals are still great, still strikes guys out, and doesn't walk guys which is usualy a recipe for success. Add in the fact that he's coming to a stadium that is less HR prone than the White Sox, and i think he pitches better the rest of the way.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:51:53 AM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 11:57:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Not a Sox fan, so take what I say with a grain of salt, if you will, but, I am no fan of Peavy.

There were rumors my Braves were interested, and let me say, I am completely relieved they didn't end up really pursuing him that hard.  Not worth the assets or the money.

Peavy just isn't anything near what he used to be .  Too injured, and not that good anymore.  His ERA this season is 4.58, which is rather average (even for the AL).

The again, the Sox have far more money to spend than the Braves, so they can probably afford to make a mistake like this and keep on trucking.  Man do I miss the days of Ted Turner as owner (as much as I loathe the actual man).

Peavy is not an ace anymore.  That's for sure.  But, he has the ability to be dominating at times, and when he is healthy is a reliable veteran starter.  Those guys are valuable down the stretch.

Right now, the Sox are getting a lot from Workman, and other young guys, but they can't count on that down the stretch (not to mention, they probably would like to get Workman into the bullpen).

This team still needs Buchholtz to get healthy, and Lester to return to form to go deep in the playoffs.  But adding a guy like Peavy, who would likely be their #4 starter if everyone is healthy, is pretty nice depth move.

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This team still needs Buchholtz to get healthy, and Lester to return to form to go deep in the playoffs.  But adding a guy like Peavy, who would likely be their #4 starter if everyone is healthy, is pretty nice depth move.
Lester has now been decent in 4 of his last 5 games. I fully expect him to return to some semblance of a top-of-the-rotation starter by the end of the season.

I've pretty much given up on Buccholtz's ability to remain healthy for a full season.

I'm also curious what this entails for next season. Lester, Peavey, Buccholtz, Doubront, and Dempster are all under contract, but Lackey is arguably the most consistent pitcher of the starting lot. I wonder whether they've decided to let him go anyway.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Brock Holt called up.

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, I suppose if that is the plan, it's not such a bad move.  The Sox are definitely one of the few teams that can  afford a move like this financially.  It seems they didn't really have to give up much in the way of top prospects either, which is bonus.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:58 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Michael young willing to ok trade to redsox

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 12:21:33 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Not a Sox fan, so take what I say with a grain of salt, if you will, but, I am no fan of Peavy.

There were rumors my Braves were interested, and let me say, I am completely relieved they didn't end up really pursuing him that hard.  Not worth the assets or the money.

The again, the Sox have far more money to spend than the Braves, so they can probably afford to make a mistake like this and keep on trucking.  Man do I miss the days of Ted Turner as owner (as much as I loathe the actual man).

Peavy is not an ace anymore.  That's for sure.  But, he has the ability to be dominating at times, and when he is healthy is a reliable veteran starter.  Those guys are valuable down the stretch.

Right now, the Sox are getting a lot from Workman, and other young guys, but they can't count on that down the stretch (not to mention, they probably would like to get Workman into the bullpen).

On the topic of workman, does anybody else think his fastball looks alot faster than what shows up on the gun?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 12:30:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really hope the Sox stay away from Young. He's lost it and is just old. Would he be better defensively than Middlebrooks and possible ignite a hot streak playing in Fenway? Maybe. But I would still rather give the kid Bogaerts or Middlebrooks another shot before giving up assets for Young.

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
On the topic of workman, does anybody else think his fastball looks alot faster than what shows up on the gun?

I think the combination of him being able to ramp it up at times, and his ability to paint the corners with it makes his fastball seem very explosive.

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 12:41:39 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
I really hope the Sox stay away from Young. He's lost it and is just old. Would he be better defensively than Middlebrooks and possible ignite a hot streak playing in Fenway? Maybe. But I would still rather give the kid Bogaerts or Middlebrooks another shot before giving up assets for Young.

It is doubtful the Red Sox will make a move for Young, tweets Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Holy cow, I just went and looked up Peavy's postseason numbers. He has two starts ever and got shelled both times.

Very small sample and a long time ago, of course, but there's certainly no "yeah he's a bit over the hill but we know he can win us a playoff game or two" type of justification.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/peavyja01.shtml

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It is doubtful the Red Sox will make a move for Young, tweets Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.
Good.

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 09:37:19 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I'm not a big fan of the Peavy deal, but not because I don't like Peavy, but just because I didn't think we had to add to the rotation with a big move. Would have much rather seen a deal for another solid bullpen arm (although I guess Workman moving to the pen could do just that).

If Buchholz isn't coming back or they aren't confident in his return/health, then I'm all for this deal. But from everything I've heard, Buchholz should be back by September and I think from what I've seen from Workman he could have been the stopgap solution we needed.

I do like selling high on Iglesias. I really like watching the kid play, but I don't see him ever hitting regularly for average and I think the Sox managed to turn two fluke months of a hot bat and lucky infield hits into Jake Peavy, which is a great return

I just wish we had gotten Jesse Crain from Chicago instead of Peavy.