Author Topic: does Bass, Crawford and a 2018 protected 1st get us Asik?  (Read 8532 times)

Re: does Bass, Crawford and a 2018 protected 1st get us Asik?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Huh.... I definitely don't think so. At all.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Here we go again. Remember, both of those worked so well with Dwight, that Orlando let Lee walk, and shipped Bass out of town.

At that point, Brandon Bass was regarded as a lazy player with middling effort on the boards and defense, and took a long time to pick up plays. He's come a long way in Boston, and I think it's safe to say he's improved on all of those flaws.

The Magic traded Lee not because he didn't work well with Magic. At that time, they were in win-now mode and while Lee had a super promising potential, they needed a guy like Carter who had star power and also an ability to create his own shot.

You think Bass has come a long way on all those flaws?  You mean, like from super bad to less super bad?  He's still a terrible rebounder, the Celtics were much better on defense with him off the floor which isn't surprising because he's a lousy and soft team defender who can't rebound and his basketball IQ remains appallingly low. 

Bass is a shorter Mark Blount with fewer turnovers and more effort.  I would've thought Ainge learned his lesson from giving Blount a terrible extension when he first started out. I can't believe Ainge's fascination with bigs who can't rebound or wing players who can't dribble.  Now that most of the veterans are gone and the main leftover from before he took over, Pierce, is gone, it's going to be interesting to see what Ainge's full vision is because nobody, I mean, nobody devalues rebounding and ballhandling less than him.

So many of the highly athletic players he's drafted, Banks, Gerald, Giddens, JaJuan, Tony Allen (at least when he was here anyway), have had low basketball IQs.  The ones with high basketball IQs like Sullinger, Gomes, Olynyk and Davis were average at best athletes.  The only player who was athletic, could actually dribble the ball and possessed a high basketball IQ has been Rondo. 

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wish it could I am sick of 6'8" power forwards.   I htink KO and Sully are PF, Asik is a C.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think if Asik is a target, it would be with the TPE, or perhaps Humphries, and involving a third team to send Houston some players. 

One interesting idea could be Thaddeus Young.  I am not sure how sold on Young Philly is longterm, and maybe they would like to weaken their team even further for this year and open up even more cap space for next year.

Something like Humphries and Brooks (that is a great tanking duo) to Philly, Young to Houston, and Asik to Boston might make sense.  Maybe Houston would want Kwame as well for depth.

I think Young could be the type of player that Morey would covet, and Dwight would love to play with.  He basically would play the Rashard Lewis role as a shooting PF, who won't clog the paint for Dwight, but will also really run the floor in the up tempo system they run in Houston.

Philly gets a couple guys who will really help fill out the roster as they tank (and Brooks can even make some fans happy), but will come off the books next summer.  Philly has a chance to both be terrible this year, but reload really fast next summer with a ton of cap space, and a very deep free agent market to compliment all of the talented young guys.

I'm not sure Philly is tanking or rather that the trade of Holiday indicates it.  Hinkle's one of the newfangled analytical GMs and it's easy to believe, from a non-tanking perspective, why he wouldn't have been a fan of Holiday.  His numbers have just not been good.  He's been extremely inefficient with sub 50 TS% percentages the last two season and his offensive to defensive ratios have very lopsided.  Just like Memphis traded Gay not necessarily because of financial reasons but because they may not have believed he was good, I think the same could've applied to the Holiday trade.  Plus getting Noel, who draft projectors really liked and a 2014 first round pick was a nice haul.

At any rate, if Young is a player that Morey would covet, I don't see why Hinkle wouldn't do the same.  Unlike Holiday, Young's numbers are really good.  Philly can be tank-worthy bad without having to import Humphries and Brooks to do the dirty work.

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 10:16:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wish it could I am sick of 6'8" power forwards.   I htink KO and Sully are PF, Asik is a C.

Eh, we only have about a half dozen of them. We could use a couple more.

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Eh, we only have about a half dozen of them. We could use a couple more.

I heard you get the next one free after that  ;D
- LilRip

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

I'd say it gets you fairly close to being the right amount of value heading their way, but I don't think the fit is perfect enough for them to make the move.

Bass should compliment Howard's inside game well and Crawford is expiring, talented (offensively) and showed last year he can behave as long as his team is winning. It depends on whose 2018 pick we are sending them, but that is a solid start.

The problem I see is that Houston is going to want a solid enough big to fill in behind Howard if they are trading away Asik and not getting a star in return. If they aren't getting a guy like Rondo in return, they're going to want multiple pieces that are going to fit in with their current roster. I think if we could have included a guy like Iverson or Faverini then maybe they are more interested, but we can't move them and they can most likely get a better package for Asik anyway.

Bass, Crawford and 2 firsts should get it done, but I think that is too much given that he isn't the last piece to put us over the top.
What about SHAV!?!?! could he be a nice back up to dwight...really the guy hustles and rebs well.
so... BASS, SHAV, CRAWFORD and a first for ASIK :)

I really think if we can get Asik while still keeping maybe bradley hump and a 1st rounder for a semi star SG than we have successfully rebuilt our selves

Roster:
PG: rondo/pressy
SG: semistar SG wit da long bomb/brooks or bradley
SF: Green/Wallace(i like wallace as a backup but $$$ sucks)
PF: Sully/KO
C: Asik/Vic/Fab

Trade: Bass, HUMP, crawford, shav?, and some firsts

AND there is that TPE but i havent a clue what to do with it may to get that SG lol

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
The more I think about it, acquiring Asik and Aldridge and solidifying the front court to go with Rondo is the way Danny should go.  The Celtics could be competitive this year and be fully reloaded for 2014-15.

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The more I think about it, acquiring Asik and Aldridge and solidifying the front court to go with Rondo is the way Danny should go.  The Celtics could be competitive this year and be fully reloaded for 2014-15.
Nice to dream, but no way C's have the assets to get both Asik and Aldridge. Heck I would be amazed if they can even get one of these guys.  You're talking about two of the top big men that may be "get-able" in the entire league.

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 10:30:46 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
The only thing I'd be worried about is cap room.  The Celtics don't have tradable assets?  A bevy of #1 picks, Humphries (expiring contract), Green, Bradley, a trade exception, and Sullinger have a lot of value.  Asik will not cost anywhere near what Aldridge would.

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'd say it gets you fairly close to being the right amount of value heading their way, but I don't think the fit is perfect enough for them to make the move.

Bass should compliment Howard's inside game well and Crawford is expiring, talented (offensively) and showed last year he can behave as long as his team is winning. It depends on whose 2018 pick we are sending them, but that is a solid start.

The problem I see is that Houston is going to want a solid enough big to fill in behind Howard if they are trading away Asik and not getting a star in return. If they aren't getting a guy like Rondo in return, they're going to want multiple pieces that are going to fit in with their current roster. I think if we could have included a guy like Iverson or Faverini then maybe they are more interested, but we can't move them and they can most likely get a better package for Asik anyway.

Bass, Crawford and 2 firsts should get it done, but I think that is too much given that he isn't the last piece to put us over the top.

Greg Smith is a pretty adequate backup center.   He posted pretty solid numbers last year.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I would think that hump would be pretty appealing to Houston.
A solid hardworking big to augment their front court and a big expiring.
Add a less valuable 1st like the clips 2014 or nets 2015 and I think the yes have an easy time saying goodby to asik.

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 11:06:08 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

Greg Smith is a pretty adequate backup center.   He posted pretty solid numbers last year.

Greg Smith is definitely serviceable, but I think they are going to want another backup in addition to him. If they are trading Asik they will want a couple players who can fill some of their holes.

Bass helps at PF and fits well in their system and Crawford has potential, but I think they still need one more addition to their front court to feel like they've actually helped their team.

If Melo was ready to provide 10+ NBA minutes a game I think he could have fit that need, but he isn't there yet. Randolph is solid, but an end of the bench rotational player (similar to Greg Smith). They'd want a prospect not just a body who can fill in. Olynyk would be the guy that would get it done, but I can't see Danny trading him after his summer league performance.

If we had another one of the mid to late first round centers this year Steven Adams, Nogueira, Plumlee, Dieng, Gobert to add in the that would be enough, but I think we are short one player to get the deal done.

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Bass + Crawford + 2018 First (protected) could get us Asik, I think the deal would be done already.  I don't see Houston making this trade but if available, I would do it.

To me though, this scenario leads to an interesting question.  Which 2018 First are we talking about?  Ours or the one from Brooklyn?  By 2018, I think the Celtics are likely to be a better team than Brooklyn but which of these picks are worth more right now?  I say the Brooklyn pick projects to be the more valuable one at this point. 

I see Brooklyn making runs at titles for the next 2-3 years and then having to rebuild.  But we have their 2016, 2017 (option to trade picks), and 2018 picks so it is not possible for them to have a really good pick (unless both Boston and Brooklyn suck in 2017).

I hope Danny holds on to their picks and if he does trade future picks (which I am fine with forthe right deal) that he trades our picks (2016 and 2018).  I also like the lack of incentive to lose to get better picks.  If we trade our picks, then there is no reason to tank.

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
For houston:
They need a player to play a longside dwight...Asik is just honna get in the way. Bass might be a good fit as he has a nice jumper AND it gives houston a defender to guard the lebrons and melos. Plus crawford can provide some bench scoring....
Lineup: lin, harden, parsons, bass, dwight ain't shabby.
Just because Bass had some success against Melo in this past playoff does not mean he is a stopper for someone like Lebron. Lebron would run circles around him. Melo is predictable. Don't exaggerate Bass's defensive value.

Bass was also a failure alongside Howard in Orlando. He ended up stuck on the bench. I suspect they would rather have a great backup center and potential trade chip than someone like Bass. Teams can get a guy like Bass with ease. The only reason they do a trade like the suggested trade where they don't get significant talent back would be to get out of Asik's contract.