Author Topic: What's the worst job you've ever had?  (Read 19451 times)

What's the worst job you've ever had?
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Right now, I work at a call center. Sometimes I can barely catch my breath. As soon as I sit down, I just about count the minutes until the eight hours are up, and I can leave. I listen to people scream at me and swear at me and I say, "I apologize about that, sir." I get two ten minute breaks and an unpaid half hour lunch break. I have not been given one raise and the money isn't that good to begin with. My back hurts from sitting down all day. Sometimes it feels like I'll be on a call and my head will spontaneously explode from monotony. There is literally no down time. I'm on the phone every minute of every hour of every day-Monday through Friday that is. I'm so sick of talking that by the time I get out of work I take a shot of honey for my throat and sit in a dark, quiet room. Upper management is hypocritical. My co-workers, for the most part, are over weight and uninteresting-not that I have any meaningful time to establish relationships with them anyway.

So what's the worst job you've ever had?

Re: What's the worst job you've ever had?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I hear ya! I have worked at call centers too. Here is a piece of advice, get you a good sales tape/cd whatever to listen to on the way to work. Listen to different closing techniques and practice them-they work. I became the top sales/hour person out of more then 1000 people using them.

Also, here is a great phrase to use to get the people off of what they are talking about and back to what you want to talk about, just say " by the way" and then whatever you want to talk about. Make it a fluid sentence though such as "by the way sir, have I told you about ..."

By the way, my all time worst job was when I owned a mowing business and picked up leaves in the fall. Man you want to talk about getting dirty.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
I worked for comcast as a Tech and did customer service as well..I must admit the calls were too funny, I had customers  asking to speak to the C.E.O, LOL cause they were so p---ed about their bill...i had customer's that  will just  talk your head off...i eventually got used to it...and yeah upper managment was horrible too..they tried to get u for everything..including lack of sales..i was forced to lie to customers about promos telling them it will last a year when i knew it rolled off in 6 months.. I do miss the free cable though ;)....All they care about is sell, sell, sell, $$$$$$

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
scraping paint in the summer

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Worst Job: working as a caddy at Bellevue Country Club in Melrose MA

Best Job: Working in the Washington Nationals organization

What I do now...sales...

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Worst job: Working at a retail store for 8 hours a day during the summer at age 17.

Best job: Working at a tutoring place 8 hours a day and I get to play basketball and other outdoor activities with little kids that I work with. Simply thee best! "Get paid to play" essentially!

Now I'm searching while in school.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Worst job:  Telemarketer right after high school.  I also worked a handful of call center jobs for Eddie Bauer, WAMU, Comcast and Atari. 

Best job:  Probably right now.  I get to travel around and make customer case study videos.  It's pretty fun.  I got to New Orleans prior to the Superbowl and shoot some behind the scenes stuff.

http://vimeo.com/65696193

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Worst job - Pumping gas. But as a shy guy with the ladies it def made it easier to talk to the opposite sex. At least I got a few dates.

Best job - campus police. Deescalating, being the cool headed voice of reason, walking into puzzles: misdemeanor or felony? Do I have the right of arrest? Do I have probable cause for a search? Ect. The clock is running and a decision needs to be made based on sometimes limited or scattered information. Fun as hell
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:01:58 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
Never really had a bad job over a long career. However I worked for some really really bad company. No matter what the job is, whether it is dirty, intellectually easy, etc, etc, it can still be valuable to the company and you can still feel good about yourself. However if the company is untrustworthy, the bosses are morons, etc, etc even the best stimulating position can suck. For instance I had an engineering management job that was really interesting but management changed and the job became unbearable and I left.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 09:19:19 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Toss up between a campaign I worked on and working as an assistant manager for walgreens.

Walgreens was just terrible in so many ways.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 09:30:18 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I spent a summer in high school changing all e fluorescent lights in a huge office building 8 weeks 49 hours a week, nothing but light bulbs.  It sucked haha
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
No question here:

Waiter at TGI Fridays when I was about 19.  My first encounter with having to deal regularly with a completely irrational co-worker.  Plus the corporate ickiness and uniforms of the place. I needed a job badly though while I was in school, and the money was decent, so I stuck around for longer than I should have, but I left eventually because nothing was worth working in that environment.

Still ticks me off thinking about it many moons later...
Yup

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:41 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
But the thing I always felt about crappy jobs is, it lets you know what you don't want to do for the rest of your life, makes you work harder.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:49 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Right now, I work at a call center. Sometimes I can barely catch my breath. As soon as I sit down, I just about count the minutes until the eight hours are up, and I can leave. I listen to people scream at me and swear at me and I say, "I apologize about that, sir." I get two ten minute breaks and an unpaid half hour lunch break. I have not been given one raise and the money isn't that good to begin with. My back hurts from sitting down all day. Sometimes it feels like I'll be on a call and my head will spontaneously explode from monotony. There is literally no down time. I'm on the phone every minute of every hour of every day-Monday through Friday that is. I'm so sick of talking that by the time I get out of work I take a shot of honey for my throat and sit in a dark, quiet room. Upper management is hypocritical. My co-workers, for the most part, are over weight and uninteresting-not that I have any meaningful time to establish relationships with them anyway.

So what's the worst job you've ever had?
;D
Yup

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
But the thing I always felt about crappy jobs is, it lets you know what you don't want to do for the rest of your life, makes you work harder.

I remember having a zen like moment while standing up my shins in spilled pizza sauce. 

I will say that I can honestly link just about everything good that's happened in my life to a fairly short domino effect after pumping gas at a Cumby's one awful winter. 
Yup