Author Topic: Bass, Lee, Crawford for Biedrins, Rush  (Read 5513 times)

Bass, Lee, Crawford for Biedrins, Rush
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Posted this in another thread, but thought it seemed like a trade that might actually work for both teams. 

Biedrins + Rush

for

Bass, Lee, Crawford, maybe a couple of 2nd rounders

Boston gets some expiring contracts for longer salary (as well as drops about 800k this year) and Utah gets two solid veteran players on "smallish" money to help nurture their young team and provide much needed depth as well as Crawford and maybe a 2nd or two.  Just seems like a trade that both teams might consider given their current state of affairs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Bass, Lee, Crawford for Biedrins, Rush
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think the Jazz would be willing to give up future cap space for anything less than first round picks.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Dang folks we wouldnt win 10 games
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I don't think the Jazz would be willing to give up future cap space for anything less than first round picks.
You may be right, but with all of the extensions they are going to be signing on players, plus their draft picks, they aren't going to have much cap space anyway.  I mean Favors and Haywood are due up next summer.  They are both going to get massive extensions and Kanter will be at 6 million for the 14/15 season.  You are probably looking at around 30 million just from those 3 (if not more).  Add in Burke, Burks, Gobert, Carroll, Lucas, Neto, Evans, the 2014 rookies and other players and cap holds, and they are already way less than a max contract in free agency.  I could certainly see them recognizing this and valuing what Bass and Lee (and Crawford) could bring to their team.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think their upcoming extensions make them less likely to rent out their cap space. They only have one more summer, maybe two to use it at all?

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I think their upcoming extensions make them less likely to rent out their cap space. They only have one more summer, maybe two to use it at all?
Next summer is it, after that they don't have any (unless they let Favors, Kanter, Haywood, etc. go), but next summer they should only have at most 10 million or so.  Certainly not enough for a max player and probably means players of Bass and Lee caliber anyway.  It really depends if they see any value in Bass and Lee this year and if they like Crawford or a couple of second rounders at all. 

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
The Jazz are tanking. They don't need serviceable players that will take playing time from Favors/Kanter/Burks etc.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Jazz are tanking. They don't need serviceable players that will take playing time from Favors/Kanter/Burks etc.

But they might have some use for veteran role models who can play anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes per game, depending on what the team needs.  I don't think Bass or Lee are necessarily those guys.  Actually, Bogans would probably fit that role better, but he can't be traded until January.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Perhaps. If possible, I'd like to fine tune your idea a little bit.

Would Utah agree to dealing Biedrins, Jefferson, Mo Willams (S/T), Brandon Rush
and their 2014 1st rd pick for Rondo, Wallace, Lee, Bass and Crawford?

Clearly, this would be to land a favorable pick for next year and clear salary.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:24:30 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243

Jefferson signed with Charlotte. Millsap signed with Atlanta. I don't see much possibilites for a trade with Utah alone at least for now. Later on there could be a trade for clerical purposes of getting up to a salary floor and meeting the luxery tax threshold criteria.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm so on board with this. Everything makes sense. And I love the idea of Brandon Rush playing here. He solves our "no shooter" problem all while still be able to play excellent defense.

Excoriate (thanks Stephen A Smith) me all you want, but I'd even tweak the deal trade Bradley instead of Lee for Rush right now. Rush and Lee at your 2 guard rotation is a very solid defending, shooting capable SG rotation. He may not be all NBA defender, but Rush certainly is no pushover, and he's a MUCH better rebounder and shooter (career 41%, shot 45% in one season). Not to mention he can play the SF position very well too.

Bring Brandon Rush here!
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Posted this in another thread, but thought it seemed like a trade that might actually work for both teams. 

Biedrins + Rush

for

Bass, Lee, Crawford, maybe a couple of 2nd rounders

Boston gets some expiring contracts for longer salary (as well as drops about 800k this year) and Utah gets two solid veteran players on "smallish" money to help nurture their young team and provide much needed depth as well as Crawford and maybe a 2nd or two.  Just seems like a trade that both teams might consider given their current state of affairs.
wasn't a good trade in the other thread either.

Biedrins sucks and Rush is a younger Lee whose D isn't as good.

Bass and Lee had down years last year but their deals aren't horrid if they play like they did prior to last year.  After this year, Bass becomes an expiring deal and Crawford can just be let go.  not seeing the upside here.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Jefferson signed with Charlotte. Millsap signed with Atlanta. I don't see much possibilites for a trade with Utah alone at least for now. Later on there could be a trade for clerical purposes of getting up to a salary floor and meeting the luxery tax threshold criteria.

I was referring to Richard Jefferson. Utah just got him from Golden State not too long ago. I am assuming this would have to wait a bit because of that 2 month required layover between trading for players and then dealing them again with aggregate salary.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
This makes no sense for Utah. Your reasons are that they need someone to nurture their team and provide depth. Utah's depth is fine as is, and while Bass/Lee are veterans, they aren't exactly the locker room leaders that would persuade the team to give up expirings for.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I can't see any reason either team would do this trade.

There are other ways to reduce salary to get under the Luxury Tax threshold without giving away significant pieces.

Even if you feel Bass & Lee are not in the Celtic's long term plans, moving them pretty much purely for salary dump seems like a waste of their player value.

Lee actually is a reasonable piece to keep longer term.  He had a down year, but he's only 27 and is a very good player and has a modest contract.    I don't see the point of moving him for the sake of moving him.

I assume your purpose here is to make sure that the Celtics have the absolute worst possible roster to minimize the chance that they don't make the lottery.

But seeing Biedrins dressed in green might be too harmful to the franchise long term as so many fans would likely kill themselves after watching him.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.