Author Topic: Idea: Kris Humphries for Andris Biedrins  (Read 6373 times)

Re: Idea: Kris Humphries for Andris Biedrins
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 04:18:31 AM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
We won't need to shed a draft pick or Humphries (a good asset) before the deadline to get under the luxury. Aren't the cap numbers not recorded until the end of the season? Plus, the Celts can always waive Shav and trade Fab or Crawford to Philly for cash. I'm sure they would love them for tanking purposes  ;D

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 05:15:22 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think that it's a pretty good idea, but a first rounder (even the Nets') is a too high price to get rid of two contracts that run out next summer. If it's the only option to get below the tax level at the trade deadline, I would probably take it, though, depending on the Nets record at the time.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 05:38:59 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
A total waste of a first, IMO.

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 06:37:34 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
If the C's were near the penalty this trade would make sense, but for $7 million you don't give up such a big asset.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 06:42:24 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I would do this trade if it was just Crawford and a 2nd rounder or something. This roster needs to be compressed, 2nd rounders are useless to us with 9 1st rounders in the next 5 years, and we need to help ease the logjam at the 2 and 4 spots.

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Kris Humphries as an undersized center is more effective at the five position than Andris Biedrins is. Humphries' added muscle and superior offensive game makes him more effective at the center position than Biedrins' extra length and limited rim protection.

It doesn't better balance the roster. It just gives you a guy who you think should be better at the center position because he has more typical height for the center position. But Biedrins is not better than K.Humphries at the five slot.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Kris Humphries as an undersized center is more effective at the five position than Andris Biedrins is. Humphries' added muscle and superior offensive game makes him more effective at the center position than Biedrins' extra length and limited rim protection.

It doesn't better balance the roster. It just gives you a guy who you think should be better at the center position because he has more typical height for the center position. But Biedrins is not better than K.Humphries at the five slot.

Yeah, I mean, Biedrins is absolutely terrible. The whole purpose of the trade would be to save $7-9 million dollars, compress the roster, and give the guys who actually have a shot at sticking around after next season a chance to play. Heck, cut Biedrins right away.

I would rather see Melo, Olynk and the other 4's on the roster spending time at the 5 than either Biedrins or Humphries.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 07:56:04 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
The Celtics are only 2 million over the luxury tax line with non-guaranteed deals to Randolph and Pressey they can cut to get themselves under the line.  Trading away a first round pick is, to say the least, a drastic and foolish measure.  Come on with this stuff.

And no, at this point, Biedrins is barely a legitimate player much less a legitimate center who will "balance" the roster. 

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 08:21:27 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The Celtics are only 2 million over the luxury tax line with non-guaranteed deals to Randolph and Pressey they can cut to get themselves under the line.  Trading away a first round pick is, to say the least, a drastic and foolish measure.  Come on with this stuff.

And no, at this point, Biedrins is barely a legitimate player much less a legitimate center who will "balance" the roster.

Agreed. The C's obviously value the pick they received from Doc enough that they went back and forth on it for several times. And that's for a probable late pick in the 15 draft. The 14 draft is much deeper, so it's only likely they value the Nets pick even more.

You don't trade Humphries for an inferior player that will have a hard time seeing the floor simply because Biedrins fits a certain height protocol. Not to mention trading a 1st rd pick in addition to it.

Now, if Utah is willing to give a draft pick or two, then I would do the trade. However, there is no reason whatsoever why we would have to.

And we have to be under the tax line by season's end. There is time. Trades, buyouts, etc.

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd be more interested in seeing if they would want Bass.  Heck maybe they like Lee as well.

Biedrins + Rush

for

Bass, Lee, Crawford, maybe a couple of 2nd rounders

I think this trade makes a bit of sense for both teams.  Boston gets some expiring contracts for longer salary (as well as drops about 800k this year) and Utah gets two solid veteran players on smallish money to help nurture their young team as well as Crawford and a 2nd or two.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
Humphries is just going to be difficult to move unless the Celtics throw in a first round pick, which would be monumentally stupid.  As much as Ainge seems to like low basketball IQ players, he's not that stupid.

There aren't many trade exceptions out there, if any, that can simply absorb Humphries' salary.  That avenue seems unlikely.  Contending teams or teams battling for the playoffs tend not to have 12 million in cap room, so they'd have to send out a big chunk of salary to make a trade work.  Humphries isn't good enough to merit two or more role players, nevermind if Humphries puts up solid numbers on a bad Celtics team that he'll have only put up solid numbers on terrible teams.   

A team trading for Humphries will want to unload a contract with more years on it than Humphries'.  Something like Humphries for Marcus Thornton who has 8 million left after this season, that kind of deal.  But I doubt Ainge would be interested.  Humphries' salary help facilitate the Nets' trade but its size seems like a big impediment to unload. 

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 08:55:14 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
I'd be more interested in seeing if they would want Bass.  Heck maybe they like Lee as well.

Biedrins + Rush

for

Bass, Lee, Crawford, maybe a couple of 2nd rounders

I think this trade makes a bit of sense for both teams.  Boston gets some expiring contracts for longer salary (as well as drops about 800k this year) and Utah gets two solid veteran players on smallish money to help nurture their young team as well as Crawford and a 2nd or two.

Good idea.  I could definitely see Utah being interested.  They have very little usable depth on the wing or the frontcourt.  With Marvin Williams expected to be out a while with an achilles tear, they only have Rush and Jefferson behind Hayward and Burks.  Lee has three years remaining but he's certainly capable of earning his salary and Utah has to spend money to get to the salary floor anyway the next few years.  The same with Bass.  I don't think the Celtics would even have to give up any draft picks to make this deal.   

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Humphries is just going to be difficult to move unless the Celtics throw in a first round pick, which would be monumentally stupid.  As much as Ainge seems to like low basketball IQ players, he's not that stupid.

There aren't many trade exceptions out there, if any, that can simply absorb Humphries' salary.  That avenue seems unlikely.  Contending teams or teams battling for the playoffs tend not to have 12 million in cap room, so they'd have to send out a big chunk of salary to make a trade work.  Humphries isn't good enough to merit two or more role players, nevermind if Humphries puts up solid numbers on a bad Celtics team that he'll have only put up solid numbers on terrible teams.   

A team trading for Humphries will want to unload a contract with more years on it than Humphries'.  Something like Humphries for Marcus Thornton who has 8 million left after this season, that kind of deal.  But I doubt Ainge would be interested.  Humphries' salary help facilitate the Nets' trade but its size seems like a big impediment to unload.

wow. stunning...

100% wrong... i thought everyone knew the value of expiring deals? Per Chris Forsberg on ESPN.com:

"Humphries? It's actually in Boston's best interest for him to revitalize his career here. With a $12 million expiring contract, he'll have a healthy trade market regardless of his play. If he can get back to the guy who averaged a double-double for two consecutive seasons with the Nets, then contenders might be willing to sacrifice a bit of their own future for a late-season rental, which could net even more assets for Boston."

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:18:36 AM by EDWARDO »

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Absolutely nonsense terrible trade. We give up the better player AND A PICK to get under the cap that we will easily get under anyway? This is just beyond words. How does this even make sense.

What's the opposite of "sign me up"? "Sign me down"?

OK, sign me down.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:18:02 AM by EDWARDO »

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

wow. stunning...

100% wrong... i thought everyone knew the value of expiring deals? Per Chris Forsberg on ESPN.com:

"Humphries? It's actually in Boston's best interest for him to revitalize his career here. With a $12 million expiring contract, he'll have a healthy trade market regardless of his play. If he can get back to the guy who averaged a double-double for two consecutive seasons with the Nets, then contenders might be willing to sacrifice a bit of their own future for a late-season rental, which could net even more assets for Boston."

This^

I'm kinda stunned that it is being suggested we give up BOTH Humphries expiring contract AND a first round pick AND take on the miserable lack of talent that is Biedrins just to dump a few million dollars off the books.

Humphries' contract (PLUS his potential player value if we can rebuild it with adequate playing time this year) are potentially far more useful than this.

There are other ways to move the cap number down by the few million we need.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.