Author Topic: Klay Thompsan or Bradley Beal?  (Read 5182 times)

Klay Thompsan or Bradley Beal?
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
In a league so shallow at SG, who has higher trade value? Who would you prefer?

Klay: 16.6 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 40% 3pt

Bradley: 13.9 points, 3.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 39% 3pt
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Klay Thompsan or Bradley Beal?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:04:30 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
In a league so shallow at SG, who has higher trade value? Who would you prefer?

Klay: 16.6 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 40% 3pt

Bradley: 13.9 points, 3.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 39% 3pt

I would say Beal, I think Klay might have reached his Ceiling and I think Beal is just getting started.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:06:47 AM »

Offline mikestar

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
Agreed, Beal has the higher ceiling IMO.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Beal, he's three years younger and has an extra year of cost control (rookie deal) left. So more potential to grow in the eyes of the league and he's cheap longer. Beal makes about twice as much as Thompson due to where they were drafted but both are still bargains big time.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:34 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have never been sold on Beal as a star, but I LOVE Thompson.  Beal does have a bit more upside, but I just see Klay as such an exceptional basketball player.  I think he will continue to get better, and will probably top out as a 20 PPG scorer, with exceptional defense and toughness.  Those guys are really rare.  Beal might end up scoring more, but I think Klay will be the better all around player.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I have never been sold on Beal as a star, but I LOVE Thompson.  Beal does have a bit more upside, but I just see Klay as such an exceptional basketball player.  I think he will continue to get better, and will probably top out as a 20 PPG scorer, with exceptional defense and toughness.  Those guys are really rare.  Beal might end up scoring more, but I think Klay will be the better all around player.
I just don't see either of them becoming a plus defender.

Thompson has the size for it but I haven't seen it consistently.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I haven't watched him enough to comment on his consistency.  But when I have watched Thompson, he has really impressed me defensively.  He reminded me a lot of Courtney Lee.  By no means a lockdown guy, but a very aggressive guy who knows how to use his body and be physical, and who can really cause problems for the guy he is defending, even though he will also be beaten a bit more than you would like.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:49:08 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I haven't watched him enough to comment on his consistency.  But when I have watched Thompson, he has really impressed me defensively.  He reminded me a lot of Courtney Lee.  By no means a lockdown guy, but a very aggressive guy who knows how to use his body and be physical, and who can really cause problems for the guy he is defending, even though he will also be beaten a bit more than you would like.

Got to also take into account Klay is 6'7. So he already has the dominating height over most SGs.

I would say value wise Beal, but Klay is someone you can't just trade away. He's the typical protocol SG. Can defend well, passes pretty decently, draws the offense onto him, and can shoot the 3 absolutely well.

483 three pointers is a record that I don't think will be matched in a while.

I'd take Klay over Beal any day. If I was rebuilding, I'd for Beal, if I wanted a solid SG for years to come I'd choose Klay, but only if I felt I could create a championship type of caliber team in a few years.

Beal would be the better choice if I'm looking to rebuild, and not looking to contend for another 5-6 years at least.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Klay for sure.  Bigger and proven that he's an elite shooter and a high quality role player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Klay is one of my binkie players. He's a much better defensive player than he gets credit for, he's the kind of player I'd loge to have in the backcourt with Rondo.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I would say Beal, I think Klay might have reached his Ceiling and I think Beal is just getting started.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

Currently exceptional and will be more exceptional?  I don't know about that.  He's a very good outside shooter and a solid defender but other than, he has some weaknesses to patch.  Like: finishing around the rim, where he's one of the worst.  Some of it might be due to some athletic limitations, some of it due to bad luck and some of it due to just not having good touch around the basket.  When he misses, he's so close; it appears that he has the potential to be at least an average finisher one day but until he gets there, that's a big missing piece.  He also doesn't get to the line.  As good a three point shooter as he is with high volume, his efficiency is still only average.

I don't know why he's abandoned the nice passing sense he showed in college. 

Overall, his stats are pretty underwhelming.  WS/48 under 1; negative Offensive and defensive rating splits in both seasons, even this past season when he was on a good team, which does not look good; league average PER rookie year and below-average PER sophomore year.

He personally turned me off when he thought a Ginobili comparison was somehow beneath him, showing massive ignorance.  He could only wish to be as good as Ginobili. 

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 01:22:19 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'm a big Beal fan.  I liked him a lot at Florida for his skill level and how he tried to be a complete player. 

He struggled a ton early on, just missing a lot of good looks but he came on and looked a good all-around 2-guard.   

One thing that was interesting to watch and which is interesting with any young player was seeing him adapt to the pro game.  At Florida, it seemed like he would throw kickout passes to the corner on 90 percent of pick and rolls.  I appreciated his unselfish mindset but he was going to have to expand his options in the NBA.  Early on his rookie year, he was very passive and unimaginative as a pick and roll decision maker.  As the season progressed, he started pulling up for more jumpers and throwing some nice pocket bounces passes to the roll man in addition to the kickout passes.  He started looking like a savvy NBA pick and roll player.  It was an impressive jump in a short amount of time. 

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Oh Klay Thompson.

I like Beal, but I like Klay more due to the fact that you gameplan for Klay. Great shooter and just getting better as an all around scorer. Showing promise on defense. But what I like the most about Klay compare to Bradley Beal...

He's 6'7", excellent size for a shooting guard.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
For me, it's Klay Thompson and it's not even close. Beal has a higher offensive ceiling, but in my opinion, he won't ever round out into the player Klay is. Klay has size, can play solid defense, passes decently, and is a deadly shooter. Even though he might be a couple years older, Klay is still just 23 years old himself.