Author Topic: How good would Yao Ming be at 6'10?  (Read 8098 times)

Re: How good would Yao Ming be at 6'10?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59:18 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
He had great touch and was strong as an ox.

If he's legit 6'10 in shoes. Maybe. But who knows how fast/slow he would have been then.

Even if he was "only" 7'1 or 7'0, I'm sure he'd have been good. Roy Hibbert doesn't have the touch or the range Yao has. He'd be a lesser Duncan maybe.

Maybe if he were 7'3 or so it'd have been more 'optimal'.

This guy can face up and post up. Those were all skill.

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 12:11:34 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Does he maintain the same disproportionately short arms?  If so, he would be a 6'10 guy with the reach of a 6'4 guy.

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 12:29:24 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
i ddoubt he'd have made an NBA rotation. The guy barely averaged 9 rebounds and 2 blocks despite being at least 3-5 inches taller than anybody else on the court.  That's garbage.  Josh Smith has averaged those numbers for his career at 6'8" and people still argue his worth.

Other similarly tall guys like Shawn Bradley were shot blocking machines, averaging around 3 blocks a game. If Yao was 6'10"  I imagine he'd average something like 1 block, 7 rebounds and 15 points a night at the absolute most.

Likewise his offensive game really wasnt anything that special - good, but not elite.  Usually just came down to him shooting straight over a guy who is 5" shorter.

He still has some skill so he would still have been a solid player in the China league im sure, but I doubt any NBA Scout would have ever looked twice.

you dont think he'd crack an NBA rotation but at the most youd think he'd average 15 and 7?  People on this board would have been doing back flips if JuJuan Johnson would have averaged 11 points and 5 rebounds a game, but Yao at his best would put up 15 and 7 and not crack a rotation?

you should take a peak at the average numbers a rotation PF/C puts up on a nightly basis.

Check my later post above.  I checked his numbers and ammended my prediction to 18 points, 8 rebounds, 0.8 blocks and estimated that he'd be a very good starter and just below All-Star level.

Aside from height Yao was never an impressive physical specimen.  He wasn't incredibly muscular, nor incredibly lean.  Even if he were 6'10" it's unlikely he would have been the most athletic big out there - I'm thinking he'd be something like Kevin Love from a physical point of view.

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 12:37:24 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
he would probably be discriminated against like jeremy lin was.

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 12:40:53 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Nazr Mohammed

You can't be serious...

Yao was one of the most offensively skilled big man of his time with above average passing skills. Comparing him to Nazr... please. A 6'10 Yao Ming would be a legit starter in the league. Not a benchwarmer.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 01:57:48 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Does he maintain the same disproportionately short arms?  If so, he would be a 6'10 guy with the reach of a 6'4 guy.

Extremely tall guys seem to have proportionately shorter arms.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261350

Prevents them from looking like gorillas. I guess.

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 02:03:57 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Has there ever been a non-successful 6'10 player that was as good in the post as Yao Ming?
I like Marcus Smart