Author Topic: world cup in winter ?!?!?!?  (Read 10957 times)

Re: world cup in winter ?!?!?!?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 04:24:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well it`s official....

Fifa has confirmed that the 2022 World Cup final in Qatar will take place on 18 December.
"excellent" idea ... well done Sepp ...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31975274

I'm thinking UEFA Champions League. So, do they just abandon that or move it as well?

Someone must have payed A TON of money to keep it in Qatar.

I think it would be hilarious if the club teams refused to let their players participate in the WC due to CL obligations. FIFA would obviously throw a fit, and probably won't allow it, they do essentially sanction the CL.

But the fact some podunk country like Qatar can throw a bunch of money at FIFA and screw up so many other important competitions is beyond ridiculous. FIFA is no better than the IOC, nothing but a bunch of money-loving, greedy dirtbags.

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Supposedly this is the reason that Fox was just awarded the 2026 World Cup US TV rights without any open bid process;  that they had raised a stink about the move to the winter because they had bought the rights to the 2022 World Cup under the impression of it being a summer event and no coinciding with NFL or college football in the US. 

That's gonna be one heck of a fall for sports in the US. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 04:36:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Well it`s official....

Fifa has confirmed that the 2022 World Cup final in Qatar will take place on 18 December.
"excellent" idea ... well done Sepp ...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31975274

I'm thinking UEFA Champions League. So, do they just abandon that or move it as well?

Someone must have payed A TON of money to keep it in Qatar.

I think it would be hilarious if the club teams refused to let their players participate in the WC due to CL obligations. FIFA would obviously throw a fit, and probably won't allow it, they do essentially sanction the CL.

But the fact some podunk country like Qatar can throw a bunch of money at FIFA and screw up so many other important competitions is beyond ridiculous. FIFA is no better than the IOC, nothing but a bunch of money-loving, greedy dirtbags.

So they solved the "weather" issue (i mean 75 degrees on a December), what about the slave labor? What about the culture of football in general not matching to Qatars standards (clothing, alcohol, etc.)?

There's a few reason why a Qatar World Cup is a bad idea, yet here we are. I agree, someone has been handsomely paid here for this to be really happening.

I hope so as well, to slap FIFA in the face, that clubs won't allow their players to compete in the WC if they Champions League schedule will be in the same dates.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Disgusting stuff.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think the solution here is simple.

Europe, South America and US boycotts the World Cup. If they put out a statement that says their countries will not participate in 2022, I bet you FIFA would be quick on resolving this. If the biggest markets in football (or even two of the three) decides to boycott, that's a huge hit, especially financially.

I don't know if it's going to happen, but that's a surefire solution to this.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
To the OP: Why not? I remember playing soccer in the snow at my high school's winter carnival!  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 03:51:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
FIFA doesn`t care about CL. In fact FIFA and UEFA don`t get along. Blatter wants a piece of the CL money. That`s why he created the stupid club world cup to replace the intercontinental final.

@Yoki

Whoever had any objections should have made them known earlier. This issue has been around for quite some time and nobody really said anything so imho they all have agreed to this ....