Author Topic: Spice Up 2013 With Trade For Pau  (Read 6507 times)

Spice Up 2013 With Trade For Pau
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »

Offline samjones

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Lakers roster has so many holes, they need to make a one for many deal, while the Celtics need a many for one deal.

So putting aside the Celtics/Lakers rivalry in my fantasy,  assume it is now past Sept. 12 when most of the Nets players can be traded.

How about a Pau/Blake trade for Humphries, Wallace, Crawford, and Melo (or Iverson, regretfully), and whatever other filler (Brooks?) is needed to tempt the Lakers?

With Faverani's outside shooting, the Celts can properly space the floor with Gasol, Faverani, and Green starting, and a 2nd unit with Sullinger and Olynyx joined by either Bass (to play big small forwards) or Bogans (to play quick small forwards). Bass showed some ability to guard Melo in 2013 playoffs and James in 2012 playoffs. Gasol and Olynyx can work the inside post, and Sullinger and Faverani can do some damage there as well. All but Gasol have some outside shooting range.

Except for Wallace, all guaranteed money expiring after 2013, so not much impact for either side, and Lakers better positioned to absorb Wallace's long term salary. 

Re: Spice Up 2013 With Trade For Pau
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
ill let you know right now, we have a lot more holes than the lakers do, unless you think olynyk will bring us a championship

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »

Offline samjones

• Oshae Brissett
I like the potential of Sullinger and Olynyx. Pau may be on his last legs as a key player (couple of years probably, three at most), but his presence gives time for the Celts to draft and acclimate the 2014/2015 draft classes. Faverani is just a blind guess at this point.

I think those 6 players give the Celts a solid competitve pair of front lines for a couple of years, and Rondo/whomever is sufficient at point guard come playoff time. The key would be the starting shooting guard position ... Bradley's development, or the 2014 draft picks. Definitely need a scorer there. Pau adds a proven post-up scorer, which is not Asik's forte.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:21:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd love to have Gasol but I doubt the Lakers deal him.

Especially now that Howard high-tailed it.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:29:45 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd be up for this trade, hapilly.

No way I'd want Bass at SF though.  He has horrendous ball handling and passing skills, and no range past about 15 feet.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:15 PM »

Offline samjones

• Oshae Brissett
Despite being younger, is Gasol in the same position career-wise as Garnett? Fading short-timer who would better serve the Lakers by bringing in younger assets? Does Gasol have the same passion for training that kept Garnett going past the 34-35 age? Can Gasol carry a team now, or can he only play 20-25 minutes a night? Who is going to back up Gasol and Kaman on the Lakers? Who replaces Metta World Peace at small forward?

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:34:09 PM »

Offline samjones

• Oshae Brissett
Bass only needed to play the small forward spot on defense. Olynyx would be the small forward on offense. A poor man's version of the Bird/Maxwell pairing, where Maxwell defended the Bernard King types.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:17:45 AM by samjones »

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:36:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lakers will not take on any long term salary.

And I don't see the point of this trade for Boston either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 07:40:22 AM »

Offline samjones

• Oshae Brissett
1. With Melo in the trade, the Celtics reduce their salary level by 2.3 million that should bring them below the 71.5 million tax line.
2. It reduces the overload of extra bodies at the center/pf position, while leaving the remaining players with well-defined roles.
3. It gives the Celtics 4 players who can create their own shot - Rondo, Green, Gasol, Olynyx, with Brooks a possibility as well.
4. It creates two versatile front lines that can spread the floor, while working the ball inside-out because it has multiple post-up threats.
5. It doesn't cost any players part of the Celtics' long-term plans, while adding a needed 4th scorer, a proven veteran presence, and a proven post-up scorer.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 07:45:37 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
While Pau would have been a nice fit with this team last year I don't see it coming.  He salary is pretty high and he is on the decline.  The Lakers NEED him now with dwight moving on.  Also KO is going to have a better (fingers crossed) all around offensive game than Pau soon enough.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
1. With Melo in the trade, the Celtics reduce their salary level by 2.3 million that should bring them below the 71.5 million tax line.
2. It reduces the overload of extra bodies at the center/pf position, while leaving the remaining players with well-defined roles.
3. It gives the Celtics 4 players who can create their own shot - Rondo, Green, Gasol, Olynyx, with Brooks a possibility as well.
4. It creates two versatile front lines that can spread the floor, while working the ball inside-out because it has multiple post-up threats.
5. It doesn't cost any players part of the Celtics' long-term plans, while adding a needed 4th scorer, a proven veteran presence, and a proven post-up scorer.
And yet the trade doesn't get Boston to any where near a contender, which does nothing except make the draft position next year worse.  If Pau was younger, then sure it would make sense, but bringing him in for a year (which is all he would be here) is just silly.  It is not a rebuilding trade and it doesn't make Boston a contender.  Those trades should not be made, even if Boston gets rid of Wallace. 

And as I said, LA will not take on crappy salary past this year under any circumstance so it will never happen.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The whole point of this trade is we are giving up several players that are overpaid and we don't need for 1 player (Gasol) who is over paid and we don't need.  I am ignoring Blake as I don't see the need for him in the trade.

Right now the Lakers don't have 13 players for their roster and we have too many.  There doesn't need to be any basketball reason to do this trade.

I actually don't think the Lakers would want Wallace but maybe Humphries, Bass, and Melo for Gasol.  I like to keep trades simplier.

Our starters are then:

Rondo
Lee (or Bradley)
Green
Wallace
Gasol

You want to start Wallace to showcase him for a future trade.  Let him pad his numbers and see if mid season some team has a need.

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 10:19:23 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
And yet the trade doesn't get Boston to any where near a contender, which does nothing except make the draft position next year worse.  If Pau was younger, then sure it would make sense, but bringing him in for a year (which is all he would be here) is just silly.  It is not a rebuilding trade and it doesn't make Boston a contender.  Those trades should not be made, even if Boston gets rid of Wallace. 

And as I said, LA will not take on crappy salary past this year under any circumstance so it will never happen.

While you are correct that LA will not take on bad long-term salary, I disagree on the utility of acquiring Pau.

Pau is 33 - if KG and Duncan are representative of the rest of his career arc, he could have 4+ good seasons in him.

You add Pau to Rondo, Green, Bradley and you are closer to being a contender with a decent sized window to add another big piece.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

While you are correct that LA will not take on bad long-term salary, I disagree on the utility of acquiring Pau.

Pau is 33 - if KG and Duncan are representative of the rest of his career arc, he could have 4+ good seasons in him.

You add Pau to Rondo, Green, Bradley and you are closer to being a contender with a decent sized window to add another big piece.
I don't see that team is being close to a title especially with Pau's age and injury history.   Pau has never been durable.  He has played 12 seasons, 4 of the 12 he has been under 80% of the games and another he was just above it.  And he is coming off his least healthy season in his entire career.  We aren't talking about a guy like Shaq, Duncan, KG that when he plays can be a difference maker.  Pau was a very good player but was never elite and he has gotten progressively worse the last few seasons before missing nearly half the season last year. 

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I don't see that team is being close to a title especially with Pau's age and injury history.   Pau has never been durable.  He has played 12 seasons, 4 of the 12 he has been under 80% of the games and another he was just above it.  And he is coming off his least healthy season in his entire career.  We aren't talking about a guy like Shaq, Duncan, KG that when he plays can be a difference maker.  Pau was a very good player but was never elite and he has gotten progressively worse the last few seasons before missing nearly half the season last year.

Pau's health has been pretty solid - certainly better than KG's at the same age.  His health issues are relatively minor.

And I think you're underselling his impact.  He's one of the game's best low-post scorers, a great passer and facilitator, a good rebounder and a decent enough defender (when playing at the 5).  He was a cornerstone piece to a team that made the Finals 3 straight years, going toe-to-toe with Duncan, Dirk, Howard and KG and winning his fair share of those match-ups.

His decline has been greatly exaggerated because he's been playing out of position for the last three years to accommodate paint behemoths Bynum and Howard.  Check out his positional production at 82games.com.  Night and day between the 4 and the 5, especially defensively.

A Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sully/Pau quintet compares pretty neatly to the Grizzlies squad that made the WCF, only with more salary flexibility and less luxury tax aversion to add the next couple pieces to take it into true contender territory.   
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri