Author Topic: 15 notable free agents remaining (CelticsLife Article)  (Read 10319 times)

Re: 15 notable free agents remaining
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Henderson or Neal would help at SG if we could jettison at least 2 of the ones we already have. 

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 09:21:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not interested in any of those names, unless we're gonna somehow get Nik Pekovic for 10 million a year without giving anything of significance up.

(Hey T-Wolves, how about Humphries for Pekovic? har har har)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Citation is the key.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Oden and Pekovic would be good signings depending on the money.

Henderson might also be a possibility depending on what Charlotte wants.  I mean if you could Henderson (something like 4 yrs, 25 million) and MKG for something like Bass (or Lee), Bradley, Melo, and a couple of lottery protected 1sts, I think you would have to do that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Henderson might also be a possibility depending on what Charlotte wants.  I mean if you could Henderson (something like 4 yrs, 25 million) and MKG for something like Bass (or Lee), Bradley, Melo, and a couple of lottery protected 1sts, I think you would have to do that.

Why in the world would they basically dump MKG like that?  His rookie stats weren't gaudy but considering his age he actually had a really good season.  MKG might never be an All-Star, at least not for his scoring, but any smart talent evaluator probably sees him as a potential Andre Iguodala / Shawn Marion type (i.e. a very valuable player).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: 15 notable free agents remaining (CelticsLife Article)
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I've edited the title and OP to attribute the article to Celticslife, lets move onto the content in the article for this thread.

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Given the Celtics are currently over the roster limit of 15 and virtually standing on the luxery tax line, we are not in the market for any of these players. Perhaps we can be facilitators in any sign and trade deal with a few of the FA not signed to their current teams.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Why in the world would they basically dump MKG like that?  His rookie stats weren't gaudy but considering his age he actually had a really good season.  MKG might never be an All-Star, at least not for his scoring, but any smart talent evaluator probably sees him as a potential Andre Iguodala / Shawn Marion type (i.e. a very valuable player).
Well it isn't dumping him if you get Bradley and 2 firsts, but it probably isn't enough especially with Henderson.  That said there have been a number of reports that they aren't happy with him and are looking to move him so you just never know.  They also have no bad contracts so it would be tough to help them out in that manner.  I suppose we could take Gordon.  I know you can't trade Humphries with other players, but I think there is that rule that says if the trades would work on their own they could be combined, so maybe we can add Hump and get back Gordon to add a bit more value to Charlotte.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Well it isn't dumping him if you get Bradley and 2 firsts, but it probably isn't enough especially with Henderson.  That said there have been a number of reports that they aren't happy with him and are looking to move him so you just never know.  They also have no bad contracts so it would be tough to help them out in that manner.  I suppose we could take Gordon.  I know you can't trade Humphries with other players, but I think there is that rule that says if the trades would work on their own they could be combined, so maybe we can add Hump and get back Gordon to add a bit more value to Charlotte.

Eh, I saw some silly rumors that they were considering trading him so they could draft Otto Porter, but those never really made any sense and were pretty flatly and emphatically denied by Rich Cho, the Bobcats GM.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I imagine that the C's aren't in the market for anyone. It's delusional to look at Ainge's off season moves and not see a rebuild year. Here is what I see on the horizon:

Trade Humphries/Bogans for ANY assets we can get. Either young flawed prospects, late 1sts or early 2nd rounders. Probably at the deadline. If not they will expire and we'll see cap space.

Waive Wallace via stretch. He'll be a bench player for us as Green will certainly start. I don't think we'll waive him this season but probably next when we want more cap space.

Cut Randolph.

Trade Crawford/Bass/Lee for anything. We might keep Lee but he's probably the most valuable of the three.

Bring Rondo back slowly. December/January is my guess.

--------------------------------

This is a reorganization year. We're going to get our cap space ready for 2014 and get a lottery pick. There is no reason to think we'll take a swing at anyone who might make us more competitive. It's just not in line with Ainge's current moves.

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
why would we want any of these bums?
I love Barbosa but what's the point?

Eugen would rather have a 10th seeded team in the East and a 12th pick over a 5th pick.
What do ANY of these bums give us at this point in the team's rebuild situation?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Considering we need another center and point guard, I'd love to have any one of Oden, Pekovic or Mozgov and then Mo Williams.

Like someone else mentioned, I don't see Minny letting Pekovic go unless they decide to go with Ronny Turiaf as their starting center (rofl!)

With Oden, could we do a sign and trade with Portland?

I only ask because it could help our chances but I am not sure if this can be done since Oden hasn't played since 2009 (lol.)

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 07:51:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Like someone else mentioned, I don't see Minny letting Pekovic go unless they decide to go with Ronny Turiaf as their starting center (rofl!)

With Oden, could we do a sign and trade with Portland?

The formula for trading for Pekovic probably involves being able to threaten to sign him to a max offer sheet, then offering Minny enough to make them think a trade is better than over-paying.

Oden was not under contract last season so you can't do a S&T under the new CBA.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
The way to get Pekovic is agree to a one year deal with him that makes him a free agent at say 15mil with an agreement after you will rework it to say 3yr 33mil deal or so.

The reason is, Minny then loses rights to Pekovic after one year, they have to pay a larger one year deal and are less likely to match.

The thing is, you need 15mil cap space to do it, which not many teams have left.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 09:06:28 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The way to get Pekovic is agree to a one year deal with him that makes him a free agent at say 15mil with an agreement after you will rework it to say 3yr 33mil deal or so.

The reason is, Minny then loses rights to Pekovic after one year, they have to pay a larger one year deal and are less likely to match.

The thing is, you need 15mil cap space to do it, which not many teams have left.

You can't legally offer him a one year deal as a RFA. The offer sheet has to be for at least two seasons (not counting optional seasons).