Author Topic: 15 notable free agents remaining (CelticsLife Article)  (Read 10367 times)

Re: 15 notable free agents remaining (CelticsLife Article)
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
The way to get Pekovic is agree to a one year deal with him that makes him a free agent at say 15mil with an agreement after you will rework it to say 3yr 33mil deal or so.

The reason is, Minny then loses rights to Pekovic after one year, they have to pay a larger one year deal and are less likely to match.

The thing is, you need 15mil cap space to do it, which not many teams have left.

You can't legally offer him a one year deal as a RFA. The offer sheet has to be for at least two seasons (not counting optional seasons).

Never heard that, fair enough.  I think I was thinking of the Patriots that tried that with Sanders and not the Celtics. 

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The way to get Pekovic is agree to a one year deal with him that makes him a free agent at say 15mil with an agreement after you will rework it to say 3yr 33mil deal or so.

The reason is, Minny then loses rights to Pekovic after one year, they have to pay a larger one year deal and are less likely to match.

The thing is, you need 15mil cap space to do it, which not many teams have left.

You can't legally offer him a one year deal as a RFA. The offer sheet has to be for at least two seasons (not counting optional seasons).

Never heard that, fair enough.  I think I was thinking of the Patriots that tried that with Sanders and not the Celtics.
Also, its against the CBA to offer a side deal to get a deal done. You can not sign anyone under any contract with a verbal side deal being that you will follow that contract up with another contract.

Its why the Doc deal didn't go through. Its why the TWolves lost 5 1st round picks in the Joe Smith deal. That would be a major legal issue in the NBA that could cost your franchise dearly for a decade.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Well, cross Oden off the list.

Apparently he's deciding between Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, NO, Sacramento and SA (per Marc Spears).

Pretty bad when even a free agent that has played as much NBA basketball in the last 3 years as I have, doesn't want to come to Boston.  Looks like we have no choice but to rebuild through the draft.

Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo

Free agent center Greg Oden to make decision next week picking from Sacramento, Miami, ATL, NO, San Antonio & Dallas, source told Y! Sports

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 11:41:07 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Apparently he's deciding between Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, NO, Sacramento and SA (per Marc Spears).

Pretty bad when even a free agent that has played as much NBA basketball in the last 3 years as I have, doesn't want to come to Boston.  Looks like we have no choice but to rebuild through the draft.

Free agent center Greg Oden to make decision next week picking from Sacramento, Miami, ATL, NO, San Antonio & Dallas, source told Y! Sports

Man, if Miami Heat signs him...I can see a three-peat.

PG - Mario Chalmers
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - LeBron James
PF - Chris Bosh
C - Greg Oden

One devastating lineup I think.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

Man, if Miami Heat signs him...I can see a three-peat.

PG - Mario Chalmers
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - LeBron James
PF - Chris Bosh
C - Greg Oden

One devastating lineup I think.

3 chances they won't get 3 peat... I hope
1. Nets superteam and the improved Pacers, hope they meet the NETS in the ECF
2. Imporoved West teams, in case they managed to get passed the NETS, Doc and the Clips will take care of them. I like Clips and Warriors chances against them
3. Wade & Oden's knees  ;D
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 12:14:07 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Did Oden cross the Celtics off his list or did Danny Ainge cross Oden off his list?  I'd be satisfied if Danny decided that Faverani and Iverson are sufficient and it is no longer worth it to consider Oden as an option.

Oden seems to be interested in teams where he is not expected to start.  If Boston had an established starting center and looked like a playoff team, I think Oden would have the Celtics among the teams he is considering.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference