Author Topic: Portland/Detroit/Dallas/Boston trade idea  (Read 11228 times)

Re: Portland/Detroit/Dallas/Boston trade
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wouldn't call two first round picks nothing and dumping Wallace's salary.  We are not going to be able to sign a max contract with that salary on board.
You'd be the only one that wouldn't call that nothing.  :-\

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 06:29:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The key is the draft picks and expiring contracts that is how you get players in sign and trades.  I agree if a free agent was going to be knocking down the door to play with Rondo wouldn't they have done it when we had Rondo,  PP and KG?
They did.

Posey, House, PJ Brown, Sheed, Shaquille, JO, JET, Lee.   All players that came to play with them.

FA's will either go where the $ is or chase a title.  Big Al signing with Charlotte is proof that if the $ is right a FA will sign with any team.

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 07:30:05 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The key is the draft picks and expiring contracts that is how you get players in sign and trades.  I agree if a free agent was going to be knocking down the door to play with Rondo wouldn't they have done it when we had Rondo,  PP and KG?
They did.

Posey, House, PJ Brown, Sheed, Shaquille, JO, JET, Lee.   All players that came to play with them.

FA's will either go where the $ is or chase a title.  Big Al signing with Charlotte is proof that if the $ is right a FA will sign with any team.

This!

Problem was up to last season Ray made 10,PP made 13 or 15. and KG made 20. Who were you going to get for names to sign of the MLE?

I think now there could be a chance to bring in FA's to Boston. They've established a winning franchise. And they have nice pieces on the cheap that bigger name FA's will want to play with.

Next couple years could be interesting.

Re: Portland/Detroit/Dallas/Boston trade idea
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Your proposal would be the tankapalooza main stage act;

It would burn the retinas off my eyes watching that team take center stage.

A huge setback (think late 1990s - Pitino era) IMHO;

And no, I wouldn't trade Rondo
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
What about a version of this deal where we deal Rondo and get Knight/LMA back. I think we'd have to consider that as Rondo/LMA are the same age and LMA probably has less of a chance of his skills diminishing.

Portland considers it if they think Monroe is a similar talent level to LMA and can essentially roll the clock back 4-5 years and get a guy happier to be there on a sign and extend. Detroit does it because they are in more of a win now situation with the Josh Smith signing. Would also swing Bass to them in this move.

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
I have been reading a lot about Portland and LMA trades rumors.  I think we can take advantage of this to dump some salaries and get draft picks.  Although I'm not in favor of getting rid of Rondo I think if you are going to "tank" you need to do it by getting rid of salaries and getting as many draft picks as possible.  The is trade checker out in Realgm http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6323294

PTLD gets:

Greg Monroe
Courtney Lee
Jordan Crawford
Fab Melo
First round pick from Dallas

Dallas gets:

LMA

Detroit gets:

Rondo
Gerald Wallace

Boston gets:

Rodney Stuckey
Charlie Villanueva
Shawn Marion
First round pick from Dallas
Conditional first round pick from Detroit (conditional due to the previous trade with Charlotte)

Dallas dets a big man
Detroit gets Rondo
Portland gets a younger replacement big
Boston gets worse for "tanking", draft picks and salary flexibility for free agency next year and beyond.  $20M committed for the 2014 season

Again I'm not in favor of giving up Rondo but I think it is clear we are going after draft picks and salary cap flexibility.

Boston gets worse - and that's about it.  This doesn't make sense to me...for any reason.
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 08:43:22 AM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Wouldn't it be easier to just hold Rondo back until January? Why give up your best asset for nothing?
Use Crawford and Pressey as your PG's and hopefully Crawford goes nuts enough to become tradable. 

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
that trade sucks for us... you don't give up a top 15 NBA player for a bunch of nothing... never ever.. this is the cardinal rule of the NBA... you need 2-3 stars to win it all... we have one... the other 12-13 guys on the roster are fluff... not really that important... never ever ever trade away a star unless you are getting one back... NEVER...