Author Topic: Interesting Bogans quote...the Celtics will be a fighting team...don't blink!  (Read 9611 times)

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I am looking forward to this season, even if it may be one of those years where we won't be playing past the regular season. 

The fact that we are younger, have a new coach, a new era has dawned is really fascinating.  After a while, of course, the glimmer will fade and we'll want to see some production and roster moves within the next 1-3 seasons that can really show us fans that serious moves/efforts are being made to get us back into contention. So far though, I am really looking forward to the 2013-2014 Celtics NBA season...playoffs or no playoffs.

As far as Bogans, I wouldn't expect him to say anything along the lines of, "We know we aren't going to be a strong, strong team this season."  He is saying all of the proper comments to the media and it's good.  I get what the poster who said that Bogans is a scrub is trying to convey.  I don't think Bogans is a scrub.  That may have been a little far fetched, but the guy isn't going to be a savior of the franchise either.  He'll scrap, provide a little bit of veteran leadership, have a game here and there where he steps up, but nothing much more than that.  Perhaps the poster could have used better wording. 

Just try to make the best out of the upcoming season, take as many positives from it as possible. The team won't be bad or "middle of the road" forever.  And also, I do not believe it'll be another 22 years either.  I think we will be back into contention within 3-5 seasons.  That's just my opinion.

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Bogans has a voice that would translate well to radio. Whatever he says must be taken a little more seriously as a result. The young kids will listen to him.

As far as this quote, it rings true to me. I still wish we could void his contract, but alas, it's guaranteed.

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
http://youtu.be/2BpEFJXQ8bo    Just look at the shooting and hard nose fouls he brings...he's going to help

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They could even finish with a slightly better record than last season just to tick off the Tank for Wiggins "Celtic Bandwagoneers"

I take issue with this attitude.

You may not agree with people who advocate for tanking / rebuilding through high draft picks, but that doesn't make them bandwagon fans.  Having that attitude makes you seem ignorant and narrow-minded.

I'm getting pretty tired of all of the thoughtless and lazy labeling going on around here since the season ended.    It's really dragging the general atmosphere down and derailing a lot of potentially interesting discussions. 

If it's not going to be curtailed by mods, then as a community we should make a point of shaming people into cutting it out.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
so, why not.  we have a top five pg in rondo, a top notch defender in bradley, a scorer in green, a top ten pick in sully until the back issues to go along with the rest of the roster.  mr kardashian is a year removed 13/11 season and is still young.  i think this team could make the playoffs, that said, danny ain't done yet.....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm actually already tired of Bogans. He isn't good enough to swing games. He probably won't see very much floor time as a result of that.

I was looking at potential depth charts for the C's and I'm having trouble seeing Bogans as anything more than a 3rd stringer. We'd definitely rather hype Lee's value for trades (or Brooks for that matter) than give an expiring 33 year old significant playing time. The only way I see Bogans being on the floor is if we're intentionally trying to lose games.

Celtic pride this year should look like supporting our young guys, not being overly critical of rebuilding strategy.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Humphries, I am not so sure.  I never saw much in him and never understood the contract.  Hopefully he will get rebounds.

He was intentionally overpaid so he would take a shorter contract that could be more easily traded.  Contracts don't always correlate to playing ability.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I do think this year's Celtics team will be a scrappy bunch.  I just don't expect anything from Bogans.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I just don't expect anything from Bogans.

I expect him to play good perimeter defense.  I expect him to shoot threes at a higher percentage than MarShon Brooks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
I'd like to see us get at least one other superstar/star if we are planning to make the playoffs since it'd be pointless to make the playoffs, lose in the first or second round AND miss out on the lottery and potential addition of Wiggins/Parker/any other star we could get.

The only thing with trying to make the playoffs is that its almost completely obvious that we can't get past the 1st or 2nd round. If we get extremely lucky and reach the ECF, we will still lose to the Heat and that will be the same story every year while Rondo is in his prime and as Green also reaches his prime. We need another star, else we will keep trying to make the playoffs year-after-year and lose in the first or second round every time.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Humphries, I am not so sure.  I never saw much in him and never understood the contract.  Hopefully he will get rebounds.

He was intentionally overpaid so he would take a shorter contract that could be more easily traded.  Contracts don't always correlate to playing ability.
He wasn't, really. He just never maintained the production that got him the contract (14/11 with 1+ block).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I'd like to see us get at least one other superstar/star if we are planning to make the playoffs since it'd be pointless to make the playoffs, lose in the first or second round AND miss out on the lottery and potential addition of Wiggins/Parker/any other star we could get.

Stars like to win, so making the playoffs is better than not for the purpose of convincing a star who is a free agent or who is requesting a trade that Boston is a good place to go.  That doesn't help add another star for this season, but it helps if you are thinking beyond this season.

If the Celtics are a second-round exit, that would put them in the same position as Golden State, a young and exciting team whose new-found relevance allowed them to be in the running for Dwight Howard and to land a big-name free agent in Andre Iguodala who took less money to go to Golden State rather than stay in Denver.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

He wasn't, really. He just never maintained the production that got him the contract (14/11 with 1+ block).

His production wasn't that different from years past.  The main difference was a decrease in playing time.

I think the Nets were pretty clearly trying to create a sort of salary slot so that Humphries could potentially be traded for a star in the future.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

His production wasn't that different from years past.  The main difference was a decrease in playing time.

I think the Nets were pretty clearly trying to create a sort of salary slot so that Humphries could potentially be traded for a star in the future.
No, but it fell off a cliff last year (mostly in the scoring department) -- worst pp36 since his sophomore year, and pretty poor FG% (less than .450).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

No, but it fell off a cliff last year (mostly in the scoring department) -- worst pp36 since his sophomore year, and pretty poor FG% (less than .450).

His pp36 declined mainly because his shot attempts per 36 declined.