Author Topic: Interesting Bogans quote...the Celtics will be a fighting team...don't blink!  (Read 9628 times)

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
“I think a lot of people don’t realize that we played a lot of iso, one-on-one basketball,” Bogans said Monday at a press conference to introduce new Celtics. “Some guys were left out. I mean, if you’re style of play didn’t fit what they were doing then your game would fall off. And everybody didn’t fit the style of one-on-one basketball that we played last year, especially Kris and Gerald, the way they play, they’re hustle players.”

Gerald and Bogans are known as high-class guys around the NBA. Kris is known as a work-horse who sacrifices himself for his team.

They all feel massively disrespected right now between the circus the Nets ran last year and how everyone wants the Celtics to tank or thinks they will suck.

Avery played out of position for the team last year and is finally healthy.
Rondo always has a huge chip on his shoulder anyway.
Green is equipped to step up.
We know Sullinger is a beast.
Olynyk is a great complement.

Our team is full of scrappy, skilled, and hustling players with a lot to prove, all playing for a coach in Bad Brad Stevens that fits this style. Wallace, Humphries, and Brooks have their opportunity to make their mark here.

I don't know what success the Celtics will have, if any, but I will not turn the TV off for a second.

The Celtics players and I have too much pride to give up on the Celtics.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Just in case you didn't realize Bogans is a scrub. There's a reason he hasn't stuck with any team in his fairly long NBA career. IMO, you should put the same amount of stock into his words that you would a Jason Collins in the same situation. I doubt he will garner much if any respect from young players to make much of a difference in the locker room. He's definitley not going to make much if any impact on the floor. Feel how you want to feel about this upcoming season, but don't let a guy like Bogans factor into it.

Offline Mikedmx6

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Kind of hard to bash bogans, when he's trying to find a positive out of his situation, and in reality I agree with him, humprhies and Wallace will have a better year than last year, and in reality if you think rondo wont make then better players your lying to yourself. I'm sure any celtics fan can make a list for you on players that rondo made better!

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
Just in case you didn't realize Bogans is a scrub. There's a reason he hasn't stuck with any team in his fairly long NBA career. IMO, you should put the same amount of stock into his words that you would a Jason Collins in the same situation. I doubt he will garner much if any respect from young players to make much of a difference in the locker room. He's definitley not going to make much if any impact on the floor. Feel how you want to feel about this upcoming season, but don't let a guy like Bogans factor into it.

I'm confused by your response. I didn't say Bogans was going to make any difference in these guys.

I was just bringing up a valid point he made about how Wallace and Humphries are capable of much more than what they produced in the '12-'13 season.

Reread my post. XD
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm getting a Bogans jersey right now
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
We could name him "Hulk Bogans"
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Bogus Bogans

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
wow
bogans is good enough to have a  10 year NBA career
not a lot of players can say that

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'm confused by your response. I didn't say Bogans was going to make any difference in these guys.

I was just bringing up a valid point he made about how Wallace and Humphries are capable of much more than what they produced in the '12-'13 season.

Reread my post. XD
I think it was a worthwhile post and Bogans had a point.  not sure why MU is hacking on Bogans.  Sounds like Bogans has a better insight into the Nets than most people and what he's saying makes some sense. 

We could very well be a better team than most people here are expecting (including me) but I don't see us as a playoff team, even in the East.

As far as us being a winning team, if GW returns to form, KH delivers hustle, rebounding and some decent D (while filling in at Center), we could possibly be a 32-35 win team instead of the 25-win team I think they'll be.

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

Would you rather the mantra be "okay we suck. We know we suck. We're aiming for 10 wins but we are young! Please come watch our games!"

Although I agree with you that Bogans is a scrub. Please do not associate him with a first ballot Hall of Famer like Jason Collins.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Bogans sees a niche for himself here and he's trying to fill it.

He probably doesn't want to get traded again, and he seems to be smart enough to realize that being known as a good locker room presence may keep him in the league for a couple more years than his talent might warrant.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

What? Why are you dissing him that much? Bogans is a good locker room guy, and a lot of teams know this. He's been moving in and out, because that locker room presence is valuable, and the teams he was on didn't need him as they had other players to fill that role.

Bogans is old, but at least he can shoot a three, and play good minutes of solid defense.

Bogans also won't be the one complaining or moaning if his minutes are short. He's just backing up his teammates.. Would you like him to sign the song of, "We are the champions..."

Or...

"I was supposed to go work.... But then I got high..."

Then again, I'm not really surprised. Many people dislike Rondo, and call him out despite his fierce and tenacious personality.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If anything, I would say the fact that Bogans consistently gets an NBA job despite not being a very productive or gifted player says something about his intangible value -- including his leadership in the locker room.  Same for guys like Derek Fisher, Jason Collins, Juwon Howard, Chuck Hayes, etc.

Also, I share the original poster's enthusiasm that we have a team well suited for sharing the ball, though I think that may be more of a necessity due to lack of scoring talent rather than a strength.  It could be fun to watch at times, though, even if it doesn't result in many wins.

This might work well for Rondo, though, because whenever he's on the floor he really will be the only guy out there who is competent being the ball handler, so orchestrating the offense completely and totally will be the only option.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I wonder if the admins can merge this fine thread with my Following of Keith Bogans career thread that I started. My feeling is that Bogans replaces Courtney Lee in the rotation after Lee and Bass are traded away. So the forgotten Nets of last year become the leaders of this transitionary Celtics team. They could even finish with a slightly better record than last season just to tick off the Tank for Wiggins "Celtic Bandwagoneers"

They might remind me of one of my favorite non Celtic teams of all time, the 1987 Sonics that were supposed to stink according to Red Auerbach and then ended up beating 2 seed Dallas, and 3 seed Houston (defending WCF champions with Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon) before losing to the 1987 Lakers (First three were competitive games).
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I think Bogans has a point.  He isn't saying "I am great", he is saying that Wallace and Humphries were held back by a style of play in Brooklyn.

Wallace was at his best when he was a focal player on a bad team.  He will kind of get that chance again in Boston.  I agree and am hopeful that he will play well enough to garner some trade value.  I think the Celtics are going to "feature" him and make sure he gets touches.

Humphries, I am not so sure.  I never saw much in him and never understood the contract.  Hopefully he will get rebounds.