Author Topic: Brazilian center agrees to 3 yr deal with C's  (Read 31308 times)

Re: Brazilian center agrees to 3 yr deal with C's
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »

Offline carlucho

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Many fans are wrong about the quality of the Spanish league.It is the second best league in the world by far.Each team have about four or five big 6-10 or more ,also there is a league named Euro-league that have the best teams in Europe in a tournament that runs at the same time of the national leagues.The first 2 teams of each league play in that tournament..If you see players like Anderson Varejao,Nikola Pekovic,Pau Gasol,Tiago Splitter,Nene,Manu Ginobili,Luis Scola,DDanilo Galinari,Dirk Nowitzki,Tony Parker and many others have been part of the European basketball and there are prospect like Nicola Mirotic,Lucas Nogueira,Dario Saric who are going to be great players in the NBA soon.

« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:26 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Bad comparison between Perk and Faverani,because Faverani also had a 80% free throws shooting and he took 16 shoots from 3 point range.I just read an article about how Faveranis team Valencia Basket is going to have problems to get a big as good as Faverani in the offence.If you see videos from Faverani you can see that he use both hands to shoot and he runs the floor very well also his wingspan is huge ,I don't know how can you compare him with Perk.
I didn't compare him to Perk. I just pointed out that him shooting 59% from the field proves absolutely nothing regarding whether he is a good offensive player or not.

And again, I refuse to watch you tube vids of a player and make assumptions on his skill based on highlights. I want to see him in game action versus NBA competition or at least in multiple competitive level basketball games to get a handle on his skill level.

This probably provides you with a better idea on the type of player we're getting.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9503638/vitor-faverani-brings-size-intrigue-boston-celtics

The lingering question: What can he do on the floor?

The scouting report from those who have watched Faverani overseas is nearly universal: a skilled and athletic offensive player but a question mark on the defensive end.

That's confirmed by the advanced stats from his play overseas. In 34 games for Valencia last season, Faverani averaged 0.976 points per play (324 points over 332 plays), which ranked him in the 72nd percentile among all international players, according to Synergy Sports data. His post numbers won't wow you (0.888 ppp), but he thrived last season in the pick-and-roll (1.2 ppp) and off of offensive rebounds (1.361 ppp). He's prone to turnovers, but his offensive skills are obvious.

He isn't afraid to fire away from the perimeter either, having showcased 3-point range in recent seasons, but he made just 5 of 28 shots (17.9 percent) from beyond 17 feet last year. He does have nice touch around the basket, shooting 66 percent in non-post-up situations around the hoop.

Teams quickly will identify that he thrives around the right blocks and likes to run the middle of the floor in transition and off the pick-and-roll. He'll have to prove he can finish as effectively against NBA back lines that will be bigger and more physical than what he's seen overseas.

The bigger question mark is whether Faverani can elevate his defensive play in the NBA. According to Synergy data, he allowed 0.88 points per play, ranking in the 42nd percentile among all international players last season. He was exploited at times in the post (1.081 ppp, 10th percentile), but was stout against the pick-and-roll (0.632 ppp, 79th percentile).

Film study from Valencia clips last season reveal a player who, defensively, seems to be slow to react around the basket at times and sometimes gets caught on his heels. The Boston Globe offered two interesting takes on Faverani from NBA scouts, and one revealed an entertaining nickname: "El Hombre Indestructible." For a player who has battled injuries and needs to show more defensive toughness, that's a nickname he's going to have to reestablish stateside. But his desire to joust will serve him well at this level.

« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Danny confuses me! I think I would have rather took a flyer on a Greg Oden for a year instead of locking up a unknown for 3. I'll take the unknown of Oden's knees over our 2 Brazilians any day!

(1) you have absolutely no idea what Greg Oden can actually do nowadays,
(2) if he can raise his arms over his head, he's going to get an offer from the Heat anyway,
(3) All reports indicate that we have tried to sign Oden

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Everything I read says that Ombre is athletic... why does he look so flabby and slow in these videos?

I do like his left hand.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:56:06 AM by sofutomygaha »