Author Topic: Ryan Braun suspended for rest of the season  (Read 13074 times)

Re: Ryan Braun suspended for rest of the season
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
and in other news Von Miller likely to get a 4 game suspension for PED usage and no one cares.

Pretty certain he was suspended for "recreational" drugs, not PED's.

Rumors were, "the leagues substance abuse policy" so I think it does mean rec drugs
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9498862/von-miller-denver-broncos-faces-suspension-sources
It is unknown which substances Miller is accused of using. Under NFL policy, Miller would have to test positive for banned substances twice before facing a four-game suspension.

Atallah didn't say what Miller tested for, but did later tweet, "I can also confirm that Von's case does not involve the Steroids and Related Substances Policy."

The Denver Post reported Monday that Miller tested positive for amphetamines and steroids in 2011, his rookie season.

You have to fail a test twice to be suspended in the NFL.  When did that happen?

They said on the radio that in 2011 he tested positive for amphetamines (spelling) and possibly PED's
I know it says it in the article and the quote I put into it, my question, which you did not answer despite responding to my post was, When did the rule get implemented that you had to fail a test twice?  Tying into that, how come that isn't common knowledge and why do you have to fail a test twice?  I mean if you are violating the rules shouldn't that be enough? 

My general point has been why do people care about PED's in baseball but not the NFL where PED's have a greater effect and can cause much greater long term damage due to the physical nature of the sport. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
My understanding was that you have to fail recreational drugs twice to get the 4 game, and the first test is kept quite and your offered rehab.

I thought PED's are on a different schedule, and the first time you fail is a 4 game.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
and in other news Von Miller likely to get a 4 game suspension for PED usage and no one cares.

Pretty certain he was suspended for "recreational" drugs, not PED's.

Rumors were, "the leagues substance abuse policy" so I think it does mean rec drugs
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9498862/von-miller-denver-broncos-faces-suspension-sources
It is unknown which substances Miller is accused of using. Under NFL policy, Miller would have to test positive for banned substances twice before facing a four-game suspension.

Atallah didn't say what Miller tested for, but did later tweet, "I can also confirm that Von's case does not involve the Steroids and Related Substances Policy."

The Denver Post reported Monday that Miller tested positive for amphetamines and steroids in 2011, his rookie season.

You have to fail a test twice to be suspended in the NFL.  When did that happen?

They said on the radio that in 2011 he tested positive for amphetamines (spelling) and possibly PED's
I know it says it in the article and the quote I put into it, my question, which you did not answer despite responding to my post was, When did the rule get implemented that you had to fail a test twice?  Tying into that, how come that isn't common knowledge and why do you have to fail a test twice?  I mean if you are violating the rules shouldn't that be enough? 

My general point has been why do people care about PED's in baseball but not the NFL where PED's have a greater effect and can cause much greater long term damage due to the physical nature of the sport.

No need for this kinda talk, I misunderstood your question, im sorry.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
My understanding was that you have to fail recreational drugs twice to get the 4 game, and the first test is kept quite and your offered rehab.

I thought PED's are on a different schedule, and the first time you fail is a 4 game.
And yet Von Miller failed a test in 2011 for amphetamines and steroids and was not suspended.

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

This is the case:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23711278/nfls-substance-abuse-and-performance-enhancing-drugs-policies

PED use is an immediate 4 game suspension. So this isn't a PED case, or at least his prior tests weren't PEDs as the NFL defines.

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

And yet Von Miller failed a test in 2011 for amphetamines and steroids and was not suspended.
According to whom, I've only seen radio reports about this. Nothing that the national media has gone with as I assume its still sketchy.

The only possible loophole that comes to mind is that amphetamines can be both performance enhancing and recreational depending on what sort of formulation you're looking at. I don't know if testing or the NFL differentiates for them.

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Amphetamines were classified as PEDs in 2007, so if he'd tested positive for that it'd have been four games immediately barring a successful challenge. Perhaps he got that test thrown out and now they're just leaking it to embarrass him?

All reports are saying its the substance abuse policy that he's facing the suspension for and its not steroids.

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Amphetamines were classified as PEDs in 2007, so if he'd tested positive for that it'd have been four games immediately barring a successful challenge. Perhaps he got that test thrown out and now they're just leaking it to embarrass him?

All reports are saying its the substance abuse policy that he's facing the suspension for and its not steroids.

Is Aderall considered an Amphetamine?  That could have resulted in a quiet appeal back in 2011

A quick search shows that Aderall is an amphetamine.  He possibly could have been one of the first in a wave of players failing a drug tets because of Adderall
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:58:27 AM by Rondo2287 »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Sounds like pot and Molly (which can be both rec drug & an amphetamine).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 10:40:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

According to whom, I've only seen radio reports about this. Nothing that the national media has gone with as I assume its still sketchy.

The only possible loophole that comes to mind is that amphetamines can be both performance enhancing and recreational depending on what sort of formulation you're looking at. I don't know if testing or the NFL differentiates for them.
The ESPN story I linked in this page refers to his failed test for amphetamines and steroids.  Now granted they referenced the Denver Post story on it, but they still ran with it.

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 10:43:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Given the known penalties for steroids/amphetamines I don't see how the Post report is credible. Unless the test was thrown out on appeal, which is the only way he wouldn't have been punished already for a 2011 test.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23711440/broncos-star-von-miller-suspended-four-games-by

The Denver Post has received documentation stating Miller had multiple positive tests for marijuana and an undisclosed amphetamine during his rookie season of 2011.

How can someone fail numerous tests for pot as well as at least one for amphetamines and not get suspended?

And why does no one (aside from Bronco fans) care?

The double standard with baseball is ridiculous. 

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Pot doesn't equal steroids. Nor does anyone care about amphetamines in baseball, historically "greenies" where even more widespread in baseball than steroids until they were finally banned. No one really mentions it.

There isn't a double standard, not until almost every MVP for years and years in the NFL has been linked to Steroids/HGH and all that stuff.

Because that's what happened in baseball, that hasn't happened in the NFL. So you get different reactions.

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The person who needs to be suspended is Bud Selig....The biggest hypocrite in sports' history.

Selig milked the steroid era for all it was worth....His righteous indignation....Starting with appointing the disgusting conflicted hack george mitchell to "investigate" this....To the selected exploitation from the "discoveries" of either retired players, minor leaguers or players at the end of their careers as to not affect the brand...To this current dog and pony show going on now........

Selig knowingly benefited from the steroid era...At best..He should resign.  His righteous indignation over this scandal is disgusting and shallow.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Amphetamines are PEDs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."