Author Topic: Ryan Braun suspended for rest of the season  (Read 13115 times)

Re: Ryan Braun suspended for rest of the season
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
They said on the radio that in 2011 he tested positive for amphetamines (spelling) and possibly PED's
Amphetamines are PEDs.

Yup, Faf pointed that out earlier in the thread.  Classified that way in 2007.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
They said on the radio that in 2011 he tested positive for amphetamines (spelling) and possibly PED's
Amphetamines are PEDs.

Technically that's absolutely true, although when speaking of PED's most people are talking about anabolic steroids, (in general), so listing amphetamines separately is not incorrect, and is actually a bit more specific. Semantics, but Rondo was not wrong in saying it that way, nor is it wrong to list amphetamines as PED's.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Pot doesn't equal steroids. Nor does anyone care about amphetamines in baseball, historically "greenies" where even more widespread in baseball than steroids until they were finally banned. No one really mentions it.

There isn't a double standard, not until almost every MVP for years and years in the NFL has been linked to Steroids/HGH and all that stuff.

Because that's what happened in baseball, that hasn't happened in the NFL. So you get different reactions.
1 in 10 retired NFL players polled in 2009 admitted to using steroids during their playing career.  I'm sure more than 1 in 10 actually used steroids if that many owned up to it.  The survey received responses from over 2500 players so it wasn't some small sample size.  Players from the 80's were at 1 in 5 admitting steroid use so that seems to be their steroid era (which makes sense since they didn't start testing until 1987).

Terry Bradshaw on his steroid use.  "We did steroids to get away the aches and the speed of healing," Bradshaw told Patrick. "My use of steroids from a doctor was to speed up (healing after)  injury, and thought nothing of it. . . . It was to speed up the healing process, that was it. It wasn't to get bigger and stronger and faster."

Lawrence Taylor has admitted to using other players urine to avoid testing positive.  Now maybe it was cocaine and not steroids, but that was during the 80's

Favre entered rehab for vicodine in the off season directly after he won the MVP and was linked to steroid usage for years.

There are countless other examples of top tier, MVP type players, being linked to steroids. 

And while this article is over the top it does sort of echo a lot my sentiments.  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/050823
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Amphetamines are PEDs.

Technically that's absolutely true, although when speaking of PED's most people are talking about anabolic steroids, (in general), so listing amphetamines separately is not incorrect, and is actually a bit more specific. Semantics, but Rondo was not wrong in saying it that way, nor is it wrong to list amphetamines as PED's.
Fair enough -- although my impression is that in international sports, amphetamines are as commonplace as steroids (based on what I've read about the bans that are handed out).

And yes, steroids and amphetamines do have different function -- the former are mostly muscle builders, while the latter help with fatigue and concentration.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."