Author Topic: Portland/Detroit/Dallas/Boston trade idea  (Read 11227 times)

Portland/Detroit/Dallas/Boston trade idea
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »

Offline celtsjunky

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I have been reading a lot about Portland and LMA trades rumors.  I think we can take advantage of this to dump some salaries and get draft picks.  Although I'm not in favor of getting rid of Rondo I think if you are going to "tank" you need to do it by getting rid of salaries and getting as many draft picks as possible.  The is trade checker out in Realgm http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6323294

PTLD gets:

Greg Monroe
Courtney Lee
Jordan Crawford
Fab Melo
First round pick from Dallas

Dallas gets:

LMA

Detroit gets:

Rondo
Gerald Wallace

Boston gets:

Rodney Stuckey
Charlie Villanueva
Shawn Marion
Conditional first round pick from Detroit (conditional due to the previous trade with Charlotte)

Dallas dets a big man
Detroit gets Rondo
Portland gets a younger replacement big
Boston gets worse for "tanking", draft picks and salary flexibility for free agency next year and beyond.  $20M committed for the 2014 season

Again I'm not in favor of giving up Rondo but I think it is clear we are going after draft picks and salary cap flexibility.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:37:14 PM by celtsjunky »

Re: Portland/Detroit/Dallas/Boston trade
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Detroit would never in a million years do that trade and neither would Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
That's not a good direction to go for the Celtics.

I'm all for tanking, but not with the likes of Stuckey, Villanueva, and Marion.

I'd want young prospects getting minutes - not established, mediocre veterans.

Cap Flexibility only gets you so far. According to another thread, we can get a max free agent next year anyway. If we ever decide to trade Rondo to tank, it should be for young players, multiple picks, and so on.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Rondo for nothing doesn't work.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »

Offline celtsjunky

• Jaden Springer
I wouldn't call two first round picks nothing and dumping Wallace's salary.  We are not going to be able to sign a max contract with that salary on board. 

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I wouldn't call two first round picks nothing and dumping Wallace's salary.  We are not going to be able to sign a max contract with that salary on board.

And what max caliber player will come here to play by themselves?

Rondo is our only All-Star (unless Jeff has a breakout year), a roster with him would be far more attractive than one without him. Stars want to play with other stars.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »

Offline celtsjunky

• Jaden Springer
I look at Cleveland as a good example.  I consider them a up and coming team and that is after Lebron James leaving the in a terrible cap situation.  Now they have Irving and a good young group around him.  By the time you build this team back up Rondo will be 30 and playing on a not so friendly max contract of his own.  So you add said max contract guy and you have Rondo playing on a max deal.  I just don't see that as a make up of a championship team and you will have no cap flexibility and your draft picks will not be good enough to get impact players through the draft.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have been reading a lot about Portland and LMA trades rumors.  I think we can take advantage of this to dump some salaries and get draft picks.  Although I'm not in favor of getting rid of Rondo I think if you are going to "tank" you need to do it by getting rid of salaries and getting as many draft picks as possible.  The is trade checker out in Realgm http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6323294

PTLD gets:

Greg Monroe
Courtney Lee
Jordan Crawford
Fab Melo

Dallas gets:

LMA

Detroit gets:

Rondo
Gerald Wallace

Boston gets:

Rodney Stuckey
Charlie Villanueva
Shawn Marion
Conditional first round pick from Detroit (conditional due to the previous trade with Charlotte)

Dallas dets a big man
Detroit gets Rondo
Portland gets a younger replacement big
Boston gets worse for "tanking", draft picks and salary flexibility for free agency next year and beyond.  $20M committed for the 2014 season

Again I'm not in favor of giving up Rondo but I think it is clear we are going after draft picks and salary cap flexibility.

If Detroit would really give up Monroe for Rondo and Wallace, I am not sure why the other teams are involved.

I think the only way Rondo is traded is if they get a potential younger star in return, and Monroe could be that guy. 

I don't think Detroit does it though. 

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Danny Ainge would be fired on the spot if he did that deal even if we collected 1sts from Portland, Detroit, and Dallas.

Cap space is worthless unless you win the Lebron James sweepstakes.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 12:59:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

And what max caliber player will come here to play by themselves?

Rondo is our only All-Star (unless Jeff has a breakout year), a roster with him would be far more attractive than one without him. Stars want to play with other stars.

I don't really think there's any star player in the NBA that wants to play with Rondo bad enough that they'd be willing to come to Boston.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »

Offline celtsjunky

• Jaden Springer
The key is the draft picks and expiring contracts that is how you get players in sign and trades.  I agree if a free agent was going to be knocking down the door to play with Rondo wouldn't they have done it when we had Rondo,  PP and KG? 

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
The key is the draft picks and expiring contracts that is how you get players in sign and trades. 

The C's have plenty of draft picks and expiring contracts already.  It made sense to trade aging stars with very little trade value for that.  But with Rondo, you have a star player in his prime.  You need to get more than "assets" for him.  You need to get some legit talent.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »

Offline celtsjunky

• Jaden Springer
Unless you get Durant or James in the next two years you are not winning anything regardless of what other "legit talent" you get.  Going from middle of the pack which is here we are to the top doesn't happen.  We need to utilize the assets (draft picks) to get legit young talent via the draft and cap space to bring in good role players to get a team that can grow into a championship contender.  If you remember even 2008 doesn't happen without being as bad as we were the year before.  This team as constituted is neither bad enough to get a top pick or get one of a very few players that are currently in the league that would make you a contender.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 02:28:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Unless you get Durant or James in the next two years you are not winning anything regardless of what other "legit talent" you get.  Going from middle of the pack which is here we are to the top doesn't happen.  We need to utilize the assets (draft picks) to get legit young talent via the draft and cap space to bring in good role players to get a team that can grow into a championship contender.  If you remember even 2008 doesn't happen without being as bad as we were the year before.  This team as constituted is neither bad enough to get a top pick or get one of a very few players that are currently in the league that would make you a contender.

The point is, Rondo is worth more than a couple mediocre draft picks.

If you were talking about a likely top 5 pick in a good draft?  OK, that's something.  But Detroit is on the upswing, and their pick won't likely be great, and Dallas still has Dirk, making their pick likely in the middle of the round at best.

I don't disagree that you should be collecting assets, but Rondo remains the best asset we have, and will continue to be a more valuable asset than any picks like that. 

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 02:33:38 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Oh lord...