Author Topic: BOS/POR/HOU Trade Idea  (Read 4173 times)

BOS/POR/HOU Trade Idea
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:34:03 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Boston sends: Bass, Lee, Sullinger, 2nd rounder, 2014 1st round
Portland sends: Aldridge, Matthews
Houston sends: Asik

Boston gets: Aldridge
Portland gets: Asik, Bass, Lee, Sullinger, 2014 1st round
Houston gets: Matthews, 2nd rounder

-------------------------------------------------------

This doesn't really need much explanation for Boston. We consolidate a lot of pieces into a star PF, much like the Minny KG trade.

Portland restructures their team so that they're still on track to compete in the near future, while adding on further pieces, depth, and a 1st round pick. They trade Aldridge without compromising their PF depth, get the stud center they've been looking for, and replace Matthews with a slightly inferior but cheaper Lee.

Houston gets rid of an expensive, redundant piece for a much needed quality wing depth who allows them to slide Parsons over to the 4 to run their preferred small ball perimeter-oriented lineup with Howard. Matthews also allows them to not have to run Harden/Parsons to the ground before the postseason even begins. This trade also cuts down their payroll, opening up more cap space for them to target a guy via free agency during the season or next offseason.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:17:14 PM by rondoallaturca »

Re: BOS/POR/HOU Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
portland wins

houston and the c's lose

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
portland wins

houston and the c's lose

Explanation please?

I get Houston being a stretch in this proposal because they could likely get a more useful piece for Asik (i.e. an actual stretch-4 rather than forcing Parsons to slide down).

But Boston? That shocks me. Unless you're not really a Celtics fan, it surprises me you're against acquiring an All-Star PF without having to give up a similar caliber player (or anywhere near it, for that matter).

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:40:30 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Portland would have zero interest in taking on long term salary to role players.

They would want a much better prospect than Sully in a LMA trade. Something along the lines of Greg Monroe.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Portland would have zero interest in taking on long term salary to role players.

They would want a much better prospect than Sully in a LMA trade. Something along the lines of Greg Monroe.

Well of course this trade is going to be a problem for Portland if you think Sully is the better player than Asik.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Certainly great for the Celts.

I think Portland says maybe.

Houston might say no

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I say , this trade is great, for all three teams with one more add in. If these salaries all work, I would say put that 2nd rounder your sending to Houston to Portland. Give Houston a First rounder and this trade goes through.

This trade then looks like this.

Bos Send: bass, melo, lee , sully, 1st rounder 2014( Clipp) , 1st rounder 2015(nets) , future 2nd rounder
Bos Rec: Aldridge, Mathews

Port sends: Aldridge, Mathews
Port rec: bass , lee, sully, 1st rounder 2014 ( clip) , future 2nd(bos), Asik.

Hous sends: Asik
Hou rec: 1st round pick 2015 ( nets), Melo

Asik is not going to be traded for anything more than a first and I think both teams bite on this trade, and also think this trade is very logical.
I would say this trade would be best at the deadline when Asik is clearly not fitting in with Dwight or hou just realizes they don't need him.

The only thing I don't like about this is it would have to be mid season or now. I doubt Asik lasts till after the season. I would love to do this trade before the draft when we already have a top5 pick. So we could have a core of

Rondo
(Wiggins or Parker)/ Bradley
Green
Kelly
Aldridge

That IMO is a great core to build around and possibly championship in 2 years frame. Then can make changes when rondos contract is up.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Why would Houston rather get a 1st than Matthews and a 2nd? They're in win-now mode and 1st rounders don't have as much value to them as they do to us. Also, we have the 2014 Nets pick and the 2015 Clippers pick, not the other way around.

Also, I think Aldridge is ideally a PF. Should we land Aldridge, I'm hoping we can pick up a center next offseason (sign Gortat or Gasol or maybe work out a S&T for Sanders or Monroe).

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
LIke 95% of these trades, Boston says YES!!! and the other two get totally screwed. Its not even close.

I love Asik, but Portland will want much more than a late, late #1 and Asik for LMA. Multiple #1s and a young player.

Houston trades Asik and gets back half a pack of Juicyfruit and a fiEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l of Arby's 2-for-1 coupons. They, too, will ask for #1 pick/picks for Asik.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 09:00:58 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
LIke 95% of these trades, Boston says YES!!! and the other two get totally screwed. Its not even close.

I love Asik, but Portland will want much more than a late, late #1 and Asik for LMA. Multiple #1s and a young player.

Houston trades Asik and gets back half a pack of Juicyfruit and a fi****l of Arby's 2-for-1 coupons. They, too, will ask for #1 pick/picks for Asik.

Can't really take you seriously when you disregard 3 of 5 components in Portland's receiving end, ignore and/or severely undervalue Matthews, and treat lottery picks (particularly 2014 lottery picks) as things that get passed around like a hot potato.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255

Houston trades Asik and gets back half a pack of Juicyfruit and a fi****l of Arby's 2-for-1 coupons. They, too, will ask for #1 pick/picks for Asik.

Can't really take you seriously when you disregard 3 of 5 components in Portland's receiving end, ignore and/or severely undervalue Matthews, and treat lottery picks (particularly 2014 lottery picks) as things that get passed around like a hot potato.
You think Brooklyn is going to be in the lottery next year?
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

You think Brooklyn is going to be in the lottery next year?

What I meant was when he said "Portland will want much more than a late, late #1", and implied the same thing with Houston. If he simply meant a pick right outside of the lottery, between 15-25, then that's more realistic, and even better for convenience's sake, since if Boston gets Aldridge, our 2014 pick will likely be in that range.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
OOH, wait. I do apologize since I had skipped over the fact that Sully was involved, which does make it far more interesting for Portland, though they still say no.

Sending Lee and Bass to Houston would make MUCH more sense though, and you'd probably have to throw in another (better) #1 to Portland (more, really).

I think Bass and Lee both fit pretty well in Houston as rotation guys on a title contender, whereas they would be pretty useless on a young up-and-coming team in Portland. They would not want to take on long term deals for those two guys. You've traded them to the wrong team in this scenario!

Overall, stand by what I said. Boston says yes, others say no.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
I know its more fun to talk about trades for RIGHT NOW, but it will get more interesting for both Asik and LMA next year, and I would like to see BOTH those guys in green! We'd be giving up a lot of picks, but that's the plan anyway. There's no way we make 9 picks in 5yrs.

So taking 4-5 of those picks plus Humphries, trade exception and Bass/Lee and turning that into Asik/LMA or Asik/Love I think is the direction we could go, but in a year's time. Not this summer.

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I did flip-flop about whether it'd be more realistic for the Boston or Brooklyn 1st rounder to be sent to Portland, but stuck with Brooklyn. I've changed it so that it's Boston's now.

Houston definitely could use Lee/Bass, but let's keep in mind that they're also trying to compete this year while still having cap room for next offseason. Matthews saves Houston $1.5M. It might not see like much, but it's still an added benefit in addition to Matthews filling a need as opposed to Asik.

I disagree that Portland wouldn't take on Lee/Bass because of the length of their contracts. Bass is the same length as Matthews, and he also makes less, so that point is moot. Lee is on the books for 3 years at an affordable rate, which works perfectly with Batum and Lillard, who also have 3 years left. Beyond that, currently Portland is trying to trade LMA for a high-profile big AND then some (Noah & Butler). Obviously, that's not happening. With this trade, Portland maintains solid PF depth (Bass/Sully/Robinson) while adding on a great center and a competent replacement for Matthews, with a 1st round as a cherry on top. Keep in mind that Asik is the main coup for Portland in this deal, not Bass/Lee, or even the 1st rounder.

Also, I'd also like to add that Terry Stotts was a former assistant with Dallas, and he worked with Dirk extensively. As a result, he familiarized himself a lot with PF's who thrive in the mid-range game, and it's no surprise Aldridge spent more time than ever hoisting mid-range jumpers. Aldridge is competent at that area of the game, but he's far more efficient closer to the rim with his back to the basket. Bass would be an absolutely ideal pairing with Stotts, as he's one of the most consistent mid-range PFs in the league.