Author Topic: Bobcats granted permission to change their name to the Hornets  (Read 5806 times)

Re: Bobcats granted permission to change their name to the Hornets
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:58 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree that as the Hornets, Charlotte was more exciting (not sure their current roster can bring back that excitement), but I hate how in a few years, it's just going to be assumed that this is the same old Charlotte Hornets that had Larry Johnson, Zo, Muggsy, etc...analysts will compare current statistics to the 90s era Hornets when really those comparisons belong to the Pelicans.

It's good that they have their team name back, I just wish that everybody wouldn't pretend that it's the same Hornets.

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 08:54:26 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Now Utah should change their name so New Orleans can have it back.

The LAKERS should now give up their name, so it can go back to Minnesota where it actually makes sense!

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I agree that as the Hornets, Charlotte was more exciting (not sure their current roster can bring back that excitement), but I hate how in a few years, it's just going to be assumed that this is the same old Charlotte Hornets that had Larry Johnson, Zo, Muggsy, etc...analysts will compare current statistics to the 90s era Hornets when really those comparisons belong to the Pelicans.

It's good that they have their team name back, I just wish that everybody wouldn't pretend that it's the same Hornets.

I don't know. Both teams had owners who wouldn't spend money.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »

Kiorrik

It's nice to have them back to their appropriate name, even if it's not really the same franchise. Bobcats was an awful team name, although Pelicans has it beat.

i agree. to be honest i am at a loss as to how anyone could believe pelicans is a great name for a pro sports team. not only is it a dorky looking animal, it conjures up images of being awkward.

but to each their own.

New Orleans is in Louisiana, which is the Pelican State.

Pelicans is a non-offensive, easily marketable, family friendly name that's unique to its locality.

What you would propose as a better alternative?
Hornets.

ZINGGG

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Meh, almost nobody associated with the Pelicans now had anything to do with those good Hornets teams.

Whereas, on the other hand, the people of Carolina were fans of that team and invested their emotion into it.

So in my view the Charlotte Hornets fans have more ownership of those old Hornets teams than anybody else.

For the same reason I don't care that whenever there's a new Sonics team, people will associate that franchise's history with the Sonics, even though that team is technically the Thunder now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
We also have lots of old, original Hornets players that still live in Charlotte. Muggsy Bogues and Dell Curry still live here along with Robert Parish and probably more that I don't know of. And Curry works for the now Charlotte Hornets as well. Other people like Rex Chapman, Mike Gminski, Kelly Tripucka have been seen around and just came to the Buzz party in downtown Charlotte what the name change became official.

Most of you've probably not had a team you really liked/loved taken away from you. I think bringing back our name, colors and Hugo will only help things.

We even have a history with the mascot name. Hugo was the same name of the hurricane that blasted Charlotte years ago doing all kinds of damage.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This is the first, and only thing MJ has done right, as a GM/owner.

Baby steps.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Meh, almost nobody associated with the Pelicans now had anything to do with those good Hornets teams.

Whereas, on the other hand, the people of Carolina were fans of that team and invested their emotion into it.

So in my view the Charlotte Hornets fans have more ownership of those old Hornets teams than anybody else.

For the same reason I don't care that whenever there's a new Sonics team, people will associate that franchise's history with the Sonics, even though that team is technically the Thunder now.

But where do Bobcats historical statistics figure in? Does Charlotte get those AND all those of the Hornets? Is this technically like the first season of a New Orleans team or do they get everything since the Bobcats began?

Also, even though all players are gone, things like: trades, draft position, fa signings all had a major hand in what both teams are today.

The Ravens won the Super Bowl not too long after they moved from Cleveland. Was it fair that Browns fans had to celebrate their new crappy franchise while Baltimore fans got to reap the benefits of years of putting the perfect team together? Although now, they use those same historical figures of new Browns players and compare them to those of old (An example I saw was, 'Will Weeden ever be like Kosar / Testaverde?').

I get why cities change back to the names they had when they enjoyed success...it's just a bit confusing.

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
This is the first, and only thing MJ has done right, as a GM/owner.

Baby steps.

YUP.....  my home state .....may have to watch with more interest now the Celtics are rebuilding

MJ sucks as an owner