Author Topic: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?  (Read 23876 times)

Re: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I was so happy when the Cs picked him in '11, but sadly they went and traded him. He averaged 13, 4 and 3 along with a steal in his rookie year but saw his minutes shoot down last year with Joe Johnson arriving in Brooklyn. I think he can average a solid 15 PPG next year if he starts. I've heard him being compared to Nick Young but he isn't a chucker like him.

TP
that was one of the few drafts that I watched, and he was the player I was stoked to get. Right after my WOOT WOOTs, they traded him for a joke of a PF that is, at no surprise, not in the league any more.

With Rondo in the lineup, I'd start him. Bradley is just too small to be a starting SG, can't handle the ball well enough to play the point, and not that great of a shooter to be our main SG.

Trade Bradley and Crawford.
Keep Brooks and we're stuck with Lee b/c of his contract

Um, what? Brooks isn't the chucker that Young is? Is that why Young has a better TS%? A better ORtg? A better PPP?Young might have a lower FG%, but he has a higher 3PT% and FT% on far more attempts.

Sorry, but Nick Young IS a best-case scenario for Brooks - and that's not a bad thing. Young has comfortably found a gunner-off-the-bench role every year, and Brooks can profile to be a similar offensive spark off the bench.

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2013, 02:02:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I was so happy when the Cs picked him in '11, but sadly they went and traded him. He averaged 13, 4 and 3 along with a steal in his rookie year but saw his minutes shoot down last year with Joe Johnson arriving in Brooklyn. I think he can average a solid 15 PPG next year if he starts. I've heard him being compared to Nick Young but he isn't a chucker like him.

TP
that was one of the few drafts that I watched, and he was the player I was stoked to get. Right after my WOOT WOOTs, they traded him for a joke of a PF that is, at no surprise, not in the league any more.

With Rondo in the lineup, I'd start him. Bradley is just too small to be a starting SG, can't handle the ball well enough to play the point, and not that great of a shooter to be our main SG.

Trade Bradley and Crawford.
Keep Brooks and we're stuck with Lee b/c of his contract

Um, what? Brooks isn't the chucker that Young is? Is that why Young has a better TS%? A better ORtg? A better PPP?Young might have a lower FG%, but he has a higher 3PT% and FT% on far more attempts.

Sorry, but Nick Young IS a best-case scenario for Brooks - and that's not a bad thing. Young has comfortably found a gunner-off-the-bench role every year, and Brooks can profile to be a similar offensive spark off the bench.

Ricky Davis had his argent supporters back in the day too, who thought he could be a perennial all-star

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I agree with the "instant offense off the bench" projections for Brooks. You definitely need a guy off the bench capable of creating his own shot and this kid can definitely do that. If he is smart and can play some defense he could be good here. I do agree though that that Brooklyn team last year ran a TON of iso. Say what you want about Deron Williams as a player, but he and Joe Johnson did a lot of ballstopping in the halfcourt. Hell, that's been Johnson's MO for years now. That Brooklyn team was one of the worst teams in the league as far as assists per game as a team and Assists to FGs made. And they almost never ran ever. So that's just a team that walked the ball up the court and one of 3 people go 1 on 1 to take a shot: Williams, Johnson, or Lopez. I think getting Brooks out of that environment now and putting him with a group of high IQ players that genuinely enjoy playing together as well as a coach who seems to know how to put guys in position to succeed would do wonders for him.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2013, 03:10:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
When he came out of school I thought he could be a solid guard of the bench but I'm not so sure now.  He needs to make the leap this year or I see him out of the league after his rookie deal expires

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Jury is still out on what he can become.  Still raw, young, and has 2 years of experience on a team with too many teammates dominating the ball.

You can't go by past stats on him, just based on the team he was on.

All we know is that he's talented, and is just getting his feet wet.  Develop him and play to his skill set.

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
If he got 34 minutes a night, I could see 18/4/4 with %'s of 44/35/80.

Do you realize that a shooting guard who put up those numbers in 34 minutes a game without being a major defensive liability would be a borderline All-Star?

Yes, I'm well aware that those numbers are borderline All-Star #'s and I truly believe that he will be one.

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He'll be in an all star game one day

His market value before the 2013 draft was by some accounts lower than a mid-range 2014 second round pick. That would be quite a turnaround.

Wasn't Rashard Lewis, Micheal Redd, and Gilbert Arenas (all were all stars) 2nd round draft picks?

Are you saying that every future 2nd round pick should be valued in trades as though it will yield an Arenas/Redd/Lewis quality player?

If so we may have overpaid for Courtney Lee. We traded three 2nd round picks for him.

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Not good enough. We should get rid of our SG's and find a real one. Bradley is our "best" now, and that ain't good enough. But I do hope those guys surprise me and play well, so we can trade them and get more in return :P
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Not good enough. We should get rid of our SG's and find a real one. Bradley is our "best" now, and that ain't good enough. But I do hope those guys surprise me and play well, so we can trade them and get more in return :P

Unless Bradley advances about six giant steps on offense this year (only three over where he was the year before, before backsliding last year), he's unquestionably a spot for an upgrade.

But that's the easiest position to add some firepower to and probably the easiest one for college players to make the transition to as well.

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

His market value before the 2013 draft was by some accounts lower than a mid-range 2014 second round pick. That would be quite a turnaround.

Wasn't Rashard Lewis, Micheal Redd, and Gilbert Arenas (all were all stars) 2nd round draft picks?

Are you saying that every future 2nd round pick should be valued in trades as though it will yield an Arenas/Redd/Lewis quality player?

If so we may have overpaid for Courtney Lee. We traded three 2nd round picks for him.

And are you saying that just because Brooks was a projected 2nd round pick that suddenly his b-ball career is already pre-destined?

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

And are you saying that just because Brooks was a projected 2nd round pick that suddenly his b-ball career is already pre-destined?

well in all fairness, he hasn't shown much in his two years in the league to value him more than a 2nd round pick certainly not as a Michael Redd-Rashard Lewis level player.

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Kobe, anyone?

Just kidding.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Much has been theorized on having Johnson ahead of him affecting his production.

Even though it's a small sample, I decided to have a look on how Mashon did in games in which Joe didn't play.

In all, there were 10 games in which he averaged 11 points on 49 FG% shooting playing 25 minutes a game.

Still needs to improve his 3 point shooting and shot selection, but he's an interesting offensive talent that can be productive when given the chance.

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not good enough. We should get rid of our SG's and find a real one.
Problem is, this isn't a league filled with great SGs anymore. The influx of shoot first PGs has really changed the backcourt dynamics of the NBA and caused SGs to get less looks and shots. Also, many of these shoot first PGs probably would have been SGs 15 years ago.

The league is just filthy rich in great to elite PGs but sorely lacking in just very good to elite SGs. It makes finding a "real" SG to put with Rondo a difficult thing to do.

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Still needs to improve his 3 point shooting and shot selection, but he's an interesting offensive talent that can be productive when given the chance.
If I had to sum him up in one sentence that would be it.

I watched a good bit of Brooks his rookie season and the potential there was obvious, but I think there is a clear ceiling for him. He is never going to be a starting 2 guard on a team that is competing for a championship.

At best he is going to be Nate Robinson/Nick Young type 6th man instant offense type of player. At worst he is going to be a talented scorer on a Euro squad. If I had to make a prediction, I think he is going to end up being a poor man's 6th man or a rotational SG on a good team (Leandro Barbosa).

I don't think he is going to be a Celtic long term though. With a bit more polish he would be a great add in to one of those mega trades for a superstar. He will get plenty of minutes to showcase his talents this year and then could be moved in a large deal down the road or at the deadline to a contender needing either scoring or that suffered an unexpected injury.