Author Topic: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?  (Read 23894 times)

Re: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He has a lot of George Mikan in his game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xEoCsDKXPo

nice video, but have we entered non sequitur world? unless you mean to show that brooks has a great sky hook as part of his game. if so, i would love to see that video.

back to this thread....aside from hopes, wishes, and crossed fingers, would the supporters of brooks please provide evidence that he, so far, has the desire to rebound, pass, or be a team mate.

we all know he looks for his own shots and is not efficient in making them. a key question being raised here is whether brooks is a one-inefficient-trick pony or whether he has a wider range of skills.

again, maybe with a good coach he changes. but i dont see it yet.

oh, just to add some stats to this discussion, here are some stats for young, jamal crawford, and our-very-own-marshon. (please forgive the auto-plagiarism from above.)

Jamal Crawford career/36 minutes per
FGA    fg%      rbs    ast     3pt%
14.9   41.1%  2.8    4.3     35%

Marshon Brooks career/36 minutes per
FGA    fg%      rbs    ast    3pt%
13.7   44%     2.8    2.9    30.2%

Nick Young career/36 minutes per
FGA      fg%      rbs     ast    3pt%
15.2    42.7%     1.6    3.0   37.4

what i see are 3 similar stat lines, except our-very-own-marshon is a really poor 3 point shooter. i dont want brooks to continue this trajectory.

hopefully, brooks' shooting efficiency and all around playing can be developed by stevens. if anyone can make brooks a better player, stevens might be the man.

Those rebounding numbers are off, hwanjini. Brooks' career average is 4.3/36. (It looks like you accidentally copied his drb numbers).

This makes Brooks a decent rebounder at his position, actually.

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
He has a lot of George Mikan in his game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xEoCsDKXPo

nice video, but have we entered non sequitur world? unless you mean to show that brooks has a great sky hook as part of his game. if so, i would love to see that video.

back to this thread....aside from hopes, wishes, and crossed fingers, would the supporters of brooks please provide evidence that he, so far, has the desire to rebound, pass, or be a team mate.

we all know he looks for his own shots and is not efficient in making them. a key question being raised here is whether brooks is a one-inefficient-trick pony or whether he has a wider range of skills.

again, maybe with a good coach he changes. but i dont see it yet.

oh, just to add some stats to this discussion, here are some stats for young, jamal crawford, and our-very-own-marshon. (please forgive the auto-plagiarism from above.)

Jamal Crawford career/36 minutes per
FGA    fg%      rbs    ast     3pt%
14.9   41.1%  2.8    4.3     35%

Marshon Brooks career/36 minutes per
FGA    fg%      rbs    ast    3pt%
13.7   44%     2.8    2.9    30.2%

Nick Young career/36 minutes per
FGA      fg%      rbs     ast    3pt%
15.2    42.7%     1.6    3.0   37.4

what i see are 3 similar stat lines, except our-very-own-marshon is a really poor 3 point shooter. i dont want brooks to continue this trajectory.

hopefully, brooks' shooting efficiency and all around playing can be developed by stevens. if anyone can make brooks a better player, stevens might be the man.

Those rebounding numbers are off, hwanjini. Brooks' career average is 4.3/36. (It looks like you accidentally copied his drb numbers).

This makes Brooks a decent rebounder at his position, actually.

thanks bb for catching the mistake. i just checked an i did read the drb column by mistake.

and you are right once more. (you maybe on a roll.) it does raise the point that marshon may have more abilities than shooting. i dont know if i am hopeful that he develops, but with stevens as coach i wont rule it out.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 09:44:25 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He reminds me a lot of Ricky Davis.

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »

Offline Robert24

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
He reminds me a lot of Ricky Davis.

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I've seen Brooks play a lot (as I live in NJ), and I was really upset when we dealt him on draft night.  Brooks does something none of our other 2-guards can do, which is to create offense for both himself and his teammates and do it under control (within the framework of the offense).  Jordan Crawford can make plays too, but he's usually always out of control and his shot selection makes most of us cringe.  If he (Brooks) can improve his defense and use that 7'2 wingspan to his advantage, then he could really be the answer for us at the 2-spot.  If he got 34 minutes a night, I could see 18/4/4 with %'s of 44/35/80.

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
He is saying all the right things. Let's see if he is really working on his 3pt shot. He also needs to get stronger if he wants to be the next Black Mammba. So far he has not been able to back up his promise, but is a smart/talented kid and if he figures it out could a really good player in this league.

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If he got 34 minutes a night, I could see 18/4/4 with %'s of 44/35/80.

Do you realize that a shooting guard who put up those numbers in 34 minutes a game without being a major defensive liability would be a borderline All-Star?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 11:10:48 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
He'll be in an all star game one day

His offensive instincts are something you can't teach
Knows how to dribble when a defender is near him, moves without the ball, an array of offensive moves, can create for others, drives the lane without fear. Reminds me alot of a young Kobe Bryant. Obviously not in skill, but definitely in mechanics

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
another jamal crawford.
Greg

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Reminds me alot of a young Kobe Bryant. Obviously not in skill, but definitely in mechanics

Here's the biggest problem with this (common) comparison:

What do you get when you take a young Kobe Bryant and take away the incredible athleticism and talent?

A ball-hog who makes his teammates, and his team as a whole, worse.

Even with all the talent in the world and athleticism that has only recently begun to fade, Kobe still doesn't always make his team better because he's such a me-first-at-all-costs player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 12:16:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

His market value before the 2013 draft was by some accounts lower than a mid-range 2014 second round pick. That would be quite a turnaround.

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
another jamal crawford.

EIDTED -- I misread and thought the prior poster was talking about JORDAN Crawford!

I think he's already better than Jordan Crawford, though the stats may not show it. He could be a Jamal Crawford type player, yes.

Brooks plays with a lot of control. I agree with some of the prior posters that some of the skills that Brooks shows are hard to teach -- the offensive awareness, the offensive moves, the overall smoothness. The wingspan is just so impressive -- I'd love to see him add more on the defensive side of the game. There's no reason he can't.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 12:24:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

His market value before the 2013 draft was by some accounts lower than a mid-range 2014 second round pick. That would be quite a turnaround.

not unless he buys a ticket to the game.

bc does love its binkys. if marshon can actually play defense and be a contributor off the bench for 20 minutes i would be very pleased.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
He's got to improve in shooting the 3.  You don't have a valuable 2, especially playing with Rondo, if he can't hit the 3.

I expect that the coaching team will get him bought in on defense and he'll improve in that area.  (Though his career combined offensive/defensive rating is a horrendous -11!)

He is 24 already, but still I have something of a reasonable hope that the 3 will come to him.

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

Wasn't Rashard Lewis, Micheal Redd, and Gilbert Arenas (all were all stars) 2nd round draft picks?