Author Topic: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?  (Read 23910 times)

How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »

Offline Robert24

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I was so happy when the Cs picked him in '11, but sadly they went and traded him. He averaged 13, 4 and 3 along with a steal in his rookie year but saw his minutes shoot down last year with Joe Johnson arriving in Brooklyn. I think he can average a solid 15 PPG next year if he starts. I've heard him being compared to Nick Young but he isn't a chucker like him.

Re: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If he gives it some effort on defense, I can see him becoming a useful role player off the bench but never becoming a guy I would start over Avery Bradley.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I think he can become a good player, not great
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Is there any difference be jordan crawford and Marshon Brooks?

By the way I think TONS of crappy players can put up "good" numbers on a crappy team

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I've heard him being compared to Nick Young but he isn't a chucker like him.

It's because he can't shoot.  We need shooters on this team, not another guy running into the lane on every possession.  He would probably thrive on a different team, but his value is so low that nobody will want him.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Well it'll be a second chance for him.  If he puts in effort on the defensive end and shoots well BUT LESS.  He could be a good bench player maybe making Lee & Crawford (more) expendable. 
I'm thinking depth at shooting guard: bradley, lee, bogans, crawford, brooks in that order

If that is the case then look for crawford to be moved and depending on deal,lee brooks or even bradley (who i'd like to not have guard rondo)

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I've heard him being compared to Nick Young but he isn't a chucker like him.

It's because he can't shoot.  We need shooters on this team, not another guy running into the lane on every possession.  He would probably thrive on a different team, but his value is so low that nobody will want him.
We need people that get to the rim. The reason we didn't shoot well last year is we took too many jump shots and didn't attack the hoop enough.

I think he can be solid, he has excellent footwork but this sometimes causes him to take more difficult shots than he should. If he improves his shot selection and improves his defense, I see him being a solid bench contributor for a while.

If he continues to improve I can see him providing an offensive spark off the bench for the next few years.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:39 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I personally will be surprised if Jordan and Marshon are both on the roster to start the season. There roles seem redundant and playing together they will just hurt each others development and stock as future trade bait.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »

Offline Robert24

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I personally will be surprised if Jordan and Marshon are both on the roster to start the season. There roles seem redundant and playing together they will just hurt each others development and stock as future trade bait.
Agreed. Trade Jordan Chuckford.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Crawford can play PG. Brooks can't.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Is there any difference be jordan crawford and Marshon Brooks?

By the way I think TONS of crappy players can put up "good" numbers on a crappy team

Jordan Crawford is a bit of a headcase, I think Marshon is more coachable.

Marshon could be a great 6th man/spot starter on a playoff team. He's really good off the dribble and can create his own shot. The biggest areas of improvement moving forward are catch and shoot opportunities (which he says he's been working on all summer) and his defense (which he seems open to).
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 03:38:22 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I was so happy when the Cs picked him in '11, but sadly they went and traded him. He averaged 13, 4 and 3 along with a steal in his rookie year but saw his minutes shoot down last year with Joe Johnson arriving in Brooklyn. I think he can average a solid 15 PPG next year if he starts. I've heard him being compared to Nick Young but he isn't a chucker like him.

TP
that was one of the few drafts that I watched, and he was the player I was stoked to get. Right after my WOOT WOOTs, they traded him for a joke of a PF that is, at no surprise, not in the league any more.

With Rondo in the lineup, I'd start him. Bradley is just too small to be a starting SG, can't handle the ball well enough to play the point, and not that great of a shooter to be our main SG.

Trade Bradley and Crawford.
Keep Brooks and we're stuck with Lee b/c of his contract
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am not thrilled with Brooks' game. He's a tremendously inefficient scorer, a bad three point shooter, an average free throw shooter, and a slightly below average rebounder, passer and defender.

I just do not see what people are so excited about other than he was a local college kid.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I see him as Nick Young at best.  I'd love to be wrong but I am not a fan.  He shot 27% from three last year too which is completely unacceptable for a scoring SG.

Crawford is better at everything than Brooks is right now, so that's funny.  Even if Crawford isn't hitting he is a pretty good passer and a good rebounder

But you also said you think Brooks isn't a chucker... I think you may be in for s surprise when he's playing (when and I should say if).

But again I'd love to be wrong.  I don't think there is anything to be that optimistic about so far with Brooks.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 04:05:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Crawford is a poor man's Nate Robinson--a score-first and score-second guy who can handle the ball, but when he handles the ball half the fan base is going to claw their eyes out. He's not too terrible of a passer, either.

Marshon is a solid 2/3 scorer without much of a jump shot. For his rookie season he was stuck on a roster fairly devoid of talent, and his sophomore season he was buried behind Joe Johnson--the verdict is out on him.

Both of them seem excited to be on the Celtics, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.