Author Topic: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?  (Read 23899 times)

Re: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Still needs to improve his 3 point shooting and shot selection, but he's an interesting offensive talent that can be productive when given the chance.
If I had to sum him up in one sentence that would be it.

I watched a good bit of Brooks his rookie season and the potential there was obvious, but I think there is a clear ceiling for him. He is never going to be a starting 2 guard on a team that is competing for a championship.

At best he is going to be Nate Robinson/Nick Young type 6th man instant offense type of player. At worst he is going to be a talented scorer on a Euro squad. If I had to make a prediction, I think he is going to end up being a poor man's 6th man or a rotational SG on a good team (Leandro Barbosa).

I don't think he is going to be a Celtic long term though. With a bit more polish he would be a great add in to one of those mega trades for a superstar. He will get plenty of minutes to showcase his talents this year and then could be moved in a large deal down the road or at the deadline to a contender needing either scoring or that suffered an unexpected injury.

He just was.  Involved in a mega trade for 2 superstars actually.  Just a shame we were the ones giving up the superstars.

I don't consider Paul Pierce and KG superstars, and I don't think anyone nowadays would..

They are just very good above average role players.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't consider Paul Pierce and KG superstars, and I don't think anyone nowadays would..

Yeah, I don't think anyone would consider them simply "above average", either.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Yeah, I don't think anyone would consider them simply "above average", either.

KG is a top 5 defender in the league and Pierce brings an all around skill set that is very rare.  They are more than above average role players, they are just below all-star level players still.

The reason they would label themselves role players on the Nets is because they are stepping into a lineup with capable players, three that are also all-star level talents but that are younger.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Not good enough. We should get rid of our SG's and find a real one.
Problem is, this isn't a league filled with great SGs anymore. The influx of shoot first PGs has really changed the backcourt dynamics of the NBA and caused SGs to get less looks and shots. Also, many of these shoot first PGs probably would have been SGs 15 years ago.

The league is just filthy rich in great to elite PGs but sorely lacking in just very good to elite SGs. It makes finding a "real" SG to put with Rondo a difficult thing to do.

Hit the nail on the head, you just described Russell Westbrook

Yes, that's right. Also described a lot of others PG's... say the last 2 ROYs more or less. It's not really easy to find a quality "real" SG to go well with Rondo, but that would be great for the team, would really take it to another level. If the young Celtics SG's start playing better, we can try a trade.

Ironically, the topic of the thread could be the SG that Rondo needs

« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I doubt it. In my mind, the SG that Rondo needs is more like Ray Allen and less like Jamaal Crawford. And Brooks is exactly the opposite, it seems.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Not very.

Brooks was taken way down at #25 for a reason.   He just doesn't have a ton of talent in the eyes of scouts.

That doesn't mean he won't surprise.   Some late 1st round picks and even the extremely rare 2nd round picks DO go on to become productive NBA players.

But the odds are very, very low.

I know he's popular as a local college kid.   But I will be shocked if he stays on an NBA roster past his rookie contract.   He seems destined for international ball.

The gap in talent between players like Bradley/Lee and players like Bogans/Crawford/Brooks is like a vast canyon.   And I'm only including Bogans with the latter two because he's relatively old and past his 'prime'.   If anything, Bogans is at least a more consistent shooter and a much better defender than either Crawford or Brooks.

I would surprised if we don't see at least one of, if not both of Crawford / Brooks traded away before our season starts.   If we keep one, it will probably be Brooks, I suppose - mainly because Crawford going out would move more salary.   Crawford also probably has a bit more player value, since he can play PG.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Pretty good when I am wearing my glasses. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I doubt it. In my mind, the SG that Rondo needs is more like Ray Allen and less like Jamaal Crawford. And Brooks is exactly the opposite, it seems.
Yeah Rondo doesn't need another guard who wants to handle the ball and try to create.

Especially one who so far in his career isn't very efficient at it.

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

I agree that Marshon is more like Crawford than Ray
But I feel either type of shooting guard would be awesome for Rondo

Crawford may be more about dribbling and breaking down an opponent, but his positives can be Ray's positives
He's still a 3 point threat, so he would still spread the floor
Both can move without the ball
Both him and Ray are clutch performers whenever you need them

IMO it was actually harder to give Ray the ball, seeing as you had to create so much screens for him to get open. While you can give Crawford the ball 94 ft away from the basket, and he'll score on his own

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I'd argue that he is the opposite of the SG that Rondo needs.

Rondo needs a SG who is a good three-point shooter to compensate for Rondo's deficiency in that area.  Brooks is not a good three-point shooter.

Rondo needs a SG who can move without the ball.  Brooks is considered to be bad at playing without the ball.  If you compared Brooks to Joe Johnson on the Nets last season, Brooks had a higher usage % and had a lower percentage of his shot assisted.

Rondo could use a SG whose defense will allow him to conserve energy by taking an occasional play off.  The words "matador defense" have sometimes been used to describe MarShon Brooks.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I agree that Marshon is more like Crawford than Ray
But I feel either type of shooting guard would be awesome for Rondo

Crawford may be more about dribbling and breaking down an opponent, but his positives can be Ray's positives
He's still a 3 point threat, so he would still spread the floor
Both can move without the ball
Both him and Ray are clutch performers whenever you need them

IMO it was actually harder to give Ray the ball, seeing as you had to create so much screens for him to get open. While you can give Crawford the ball 94 ft away from the basket, and he'll score on his own
I didn't say he necessarily must be Ray, who had regressed to strictly running off picks by the end of his tenure with the Celtics - but someone like Brooks or Crawford is best with the ball in their hands, so pairing them with Rondo is doing everyone a disservice.

« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Guess the word play with my ceiling floor comparison got missed.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Guess the word play with my ceiling floor comparison got missed.

As did my thoughtful, spot on analysis.  ::)

pity TP coming your way. We'll get 'em next time.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2013, 12:47:09 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Unfortunately Brooks is Terribad from 3 point range.  That's what drops him a lot compared to most SGs in this league.  Right now both Bradley and Lee are better.

I'm not sure that Brooks can evolve to anything beyond a slasher. 

Ceiling:
I guess if we were to dream, we'd hope that he could be as good as Demar Derozan.  But somehow I doubt that's gonna happen.  Derozan has a couple inches on him and is more athletic.

Floor:
Actually this is the scary part because Brooks might end up a bust.  His floor is probably a poor man's Jordan Crawford.  Brooks needs to learn to play defense, be smarter with his shot selection and passing, so he's not a black hole on offense.

Hard to see Brooks getting any serious minutes with Bradley, Lee, and Crawford all ahead of him.  If Crawford gets traded, then Brooks might have a shot to develop into something.  Otherwise he is gonna get a lot of bench splinters this upcoming season.

« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »

Offline Mikedmx6

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I think there's WAYYY to many people here bashing marshon as much as they have. I don't agree that lee Crawford Bradley are that much further ahead of him.. I think the SG starting position is up for grabs. Bradley is a beast on defense but at this point we prob need more of offensive option at this point and Courtney lee proved last season he's not that guy and Jordan Crawford has alot of potential to, it's definitely all up for grabs no one is better then the other, it's going to be fun to watch