Author Topic: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?  (Read 23897 times)

Re: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2013, 07:25:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He has a lot of George Mikan in his game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xEoCsDKXPo

nice video, but have we entered non sequitur world? unless you mean to show that brooks has a great sky hook as part of his game. if so, i would love to see that video.

He showed signs of having a strong, well-rounded post game at Providence. I believe Stevens will be paramount in his development down low. The Kobe comparisons are valid if, and only if, he becomes a great fadeaway shooter like Bryant. After all, it wasn't until Lebron developed a post game that he won his first crown.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2013, 08:07:18 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Not good enough. We should get rid of our SG's and find a real one.
Problem is, this isn't a league filled with great SGs anymore. The influx of shoot first PGs has really changed the backcourt dynamics of the NBA and caused SGs to get less looks and shots. Also, many of these shoot first PGs probably would have been SGs 15 years ago.

The league is just filthy rich in great to elite PGs but sorely lacking in just very good to elite SGs. It makes finding a "real" SG to put with Rondo a difficult thing to do.

Hit the nail on the head, you just described Russell Westbrook

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
A poor mans jamal crawford.

Someone who can give u 8 to 10 pts , 3 reb and assist off the bench consistently but once in a while explodes for 25-30 pts and steal games for the team

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
Personally i think Marshon Brooks is just another player who has huge upside andw as given only one real chance to play on a NBA team. Once the Nets made the splashes with Dwill and Johnson his role became almost obsolete. I've heard comparisons of Kobe and Brooks in their offensive game. Now no I'm not comparing them at all but offensively they have similar games, and not that i think Brooks can put up Kobe numbers in scoring but i would much rather have Brooks gettimg the minutes than Bogans or Crawford. Especially if by mid season were in full on tank mode because than at least we can really see what this kids all about
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He'll be in an all star game one day

His market value before the 2013 draft was by some accounts lower than a mid-range 2014 second round pick. That would be quite a turnaround.

Wasn't Rashard Lewis, Micheal Redd, and Gilbert Arenas (all were all stars) 2nd round draft picks?

Are you saying that every future 2nd round pick should be valued in trades as though it will yield an Arenas/Redd/Lewis quality player?

If so we may have overpaid for Courtney Lee. We traded three 2nd round picks for him.

And are you saying that just because Brooks was a projected 2nd round pick that suddenly his b-ball career is already pre-destined?

Nope.

I'm saying that before the draft this year Minny was looking to unload their first round pick. Reputable sources had BKN offering Brooks for the pick, but Minny ended up trading it for a GSW 2014 2nd round pick.

In other words BKN was shopping Brooks as recently as this year's draft but he was valued less highly than a 2014 2nd round pick, by at least one other team.

Hence what I wrote above...

And here are links to sources about the trades:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=66353.msg1511092#msg1511092
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:42:09 PM by Boris Badenov »

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2013, 11:03:44 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
You are leaving out half of the story.  They decided they valued a 2nd rd pick AND the salary cap savings giving them more money to sign another fa, than brooks.

He'll be in an all star game one day

His market value before the 2013 draft was by some accounts lower than a mid-range 2014 second round pick. That would be quite a turnaround.

Wasn't Rashard Lewis, Micheal Redd, and Gilbert Arenas (all were all stars) 2nd round draft picks?

Are you saying that every future 2nd round pick should be valued in trades as though it will yield an Arenas/Redd/Lewis quality player?

If so we may have overpaid for Courtney Lee. We traded three 2nd round picks for him.

And are you saying that just because Brooks was a projected 2nd round pick that suddenly his b-ball career is already pre-destined?

Nope.

I'm saying that before the draft this year Minny was looking to unload their first round pick. Reputable sources had BKN offering Brooks for the pick, but Minny ended up trading it for a GSW 2014 2nd round pick.

In other words BKN was shopping Brooks as recently as this year's draft but he was valued less highly than a 2014 2nd round pick, by at least one other team.

Hence what I wrote above...

And here are links to sources about the trades:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=66353.msg1511092#msg1511092

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Personally i think Marshon Brooks is just another player who has huge upside andw as given only one real chance to play on a NBA team. Once the Nets made the splashes with Dwill and Johnson his role became almost obsolete. I've heard comparisons of Kobe and Brooks in their offensive game. Now no I'm not comparing them at all but offensively they have similar games, and not that i think Brooks can put up Kobe numbers in scoring but i would much rather have Brooks gettimg the minutes than Bogans or Crawford. Especially if by mid season were in full on tank mode because than at least we can really see what this kids all about

I want to reiterate the point I made earlier.

The Kobe comparison is a poor one.  Even if it has some truth, it's not very flattering.

Kobe without all of the incredible talent, drive, and athleticism is not a very useful player.  There's very little use for a ball-hog who isn't supremely efficient on offense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2013, 11:17:38 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

I want to reiterate the point I made earlier.

The Kobe comparison is a poor one.  Even if it has some truth, it's not very flattering.

Kobe without all of the incredible talent, drive, and athleticism is not a very useful player.  There's very little use for a ball-hog who isn't supremely efficient on offense.

Yeah, comparing him to Kobe is ludicrous.  He's copied some of Kobe's moves, or rather, he's copied Jordan by way of Kobe, but I wouldn't characterize him as a ball hog.  What impressed me is that he was able to expand his game almost at the drop of the hat when Avery Johnson told him to do so during his rookie season.  He was a chucker at Providence and was still a chucker early in his rookie season.  Then Avery told him he needed to be more well-rounded and well, he went out and did it.  He became much more patient and started making plays for his teammates.  It's impressive that he was able to do it and also impressive that he listened so readily.  Jordan Crawford launching bad shots he is not.

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2013, 11:47:35 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
he will lead the league in scoring next year, and become the biggest steal in a trade in NBA history. Will become the next Kobe Braynt, the Green MAMBA, and we will trade 3 firsts for LMA or Cousins, and have the best starting 5 in the league of

Rondo
Brooks
Green
Oly
LMA/COUSINS

average 106 ppg, but yet still finish the year with 15 wins due to giving up 120ppg and draft Wiggins with the first overall pick.

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6J4juRaBMc

This is what happens when he gets big minutes. Now would you rather have Jordan Chuckford over that?

That was an impressive game by MB.  He showed that he can see the floor and pass the basketball, as well as press his own offense.  I'm looking forward to seeing if Brooks can play well rounded, team basketball, as well as put the ball in the hoop. 

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
They play different positions, but MarShon Brooks contributes much less than Brandon Bass when neither is making shots and is less likely to make a shot than Bass.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2013, 05:44:31 PM »

fitzhickey

They play different positions, but MarShon Brooks contributes much less than Brandon Bass when neither is making shots and is less likely to make a shot than Bass.
the difference in fg% is 2% so i think that doesnt really count for much. i would much rather have a guy who can score 15 get 4 boards and 3 assists per 36
than 11 pts 7 rebs

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2013, 05:58:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
he will lead the league in scoring next year, and become the biggest steal in a trade in NBA history. Will become the next Kobe Braynt, the Green MAMBA, and we will trade 3 firsts for LMA or Cousins, and have the best starting 5 in the league of

Rondo
Brooks
Green
Oly
LMA/COUSINS

average 106 ppg, but yet still finish the year with 15 wins due to giving up 120ppg and draft Wiggins with the first overall pick.

HE IS .....the  "NEXT BLACK MAMBA"

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
the difference in fg% is 2% so i think that doesnt really count for much. i would much rather have a guy who can score 15 get 4 boards and 3 assists per 36
than 11 pts 7 rebs

If the first guy plays matador defense and the second guy hustles on defense, would you still feel that way?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Not good enough. We should get rid of our SG's and find a real one.
Problem is, this isn't a league filled with great SGs anymore. The influx of shoot first PGs has really changed the backcourt dynamics of the NBA and caused SGs to get less looks and shots. Also, many of these shoot first PGs probably would have been SGs 15 years ago.

The league is just filthy rich in great to elite PGs but sorely lacking in just very good to elite SGs. It makes finding a "real" SG to put with Rondo a difficult thing to do.

Hit the nail on the head, you just described Russell Westbrook

Yes, that's right. Also described a lot of others PG's... say the last 2 ROYs more or less. It's not really easy to find a quality "real" SG to go well with Rondo, but that would be great for the team, would really take it to another level. If the young Celtics SG's start playing better, we can try a trade.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.