Author Topic: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?  (Read 23907 times)

Re: How good do you see MarShon Brooks becoming?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I was so happy when the Cs picked him in '11, but sadly they went and traded him. He averaged 13, 4 and 3 along with a steal in his rookie year but saw his minutes shoot down last year with Joe Johnson arriving in Brooklyn. I think he can average a solid 15 PPG next year if he starts. I've heard him being compared to Nick Young but he isn't a chucker like him.

Marshon Brooks
season    FGA/36 minutes    fg%    rbs    ast
11-12      14                      42.8%   2.8    2.9
12-13     13.2                    46.3%   2.8    3.0

Nick Young for his career
FGA/36 minutes      fg%      rbs     ast
15.2                       42.7%     1.6    3.0

i'm not seeing a huge difference here. how are they not alike?

brooks is a a volume shooter who is not efficient. he doesnt excel at anything but shooting (depending on how you define excel), at least not so far in his career.

i hope he changes and he suddenly becomes a great, all around player who scores efficiently, but i'll withhold judgement until i see it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
unless he changes his game , and plays good ball 100 percent of the time,  not just whenhe feels like it ,  don't need another Rondo,   

I dislike all the Brooklin players except maybe Bogans.  All,have attitude , poor work ethic ,  and just poor team players......

we took all their horrible  team criminals and outcasts and untrainable junk to get those draft picks.

we must unload all the garbage ASAP

what a mess this team is at the moment.

god I miss KG and Paul

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 01:32:28 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
One reason Brooks was inefficient last year was that the PG wasn't doing a good job setting him up.  Only 40% of his baskets were assisted, and only 30% of his mid-range jumpers were assisted.

In theory, having Rondo set him up should increase his efficiency.  I think Brooks has some upside.   

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think Brooks is an better investment than Crawford. Crawford is undersized at the 2. I think he'd have a lot of difficulty getting his shot off if he didn't have long arms.

Brooks is longer (he has like a 7' wingspan) and just seems to be a more natural scorer. He's certainly raw, but as others have mentioned, he seems far more coachable than Crawford as well. He is a chucker, but I don't think he has to be. He can probably give more on D than Crawford too - whether it's ability, effort and/or attitude-related.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 01:55:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
One reason Brooks was inefficient last year was that the PG wasn't doing a good job setting him up.  Only 40% of his baskets were assisted, and only 30% of his mid-range jumpers were assisted.

In theory, having Rondo set him up should increase his efficiency.  I think Brooks has some upside.
I'm shaking my head on this one.

Deron Williams is one of the best PGs in the league. He's a great facilitator on the offensive end. Brooks is a chucker that will get the ball and look for his shot, even if that means forcing shots off the dribble or taking it to the hole in traffic or eschewing wide open assisted looks to try for something different.

I think the theory a poor one. Brooks isn't a catch and shoot player. He isn't going to have particularly high percentages in the areas you point out.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Maybe a Jamal Crawford type, Nick Young type of player?
Dude can score, no doubt.

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 02:13:36 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
The next Kobe?  ;)

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 02:17:23 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Deron Williams is one of the best PGs in the league. He's a great facilitator on the offensive end. Brooks is a chucker that will get the ball and look for his shot, even if that means forcing shots off the dribble or taking it to the hole in traffic or eschewing wide open assisted looks to try for something different.

I think the theory a poor one. Brooks isn't a catch and shoot player. He isn't going to have particularly high percentages in the areas you point out.

I'm shaking my head right back at you. I've watched A LOT of Nets basketball over the past 3 years - more than the C's actually (consequence of living in NJ), Deron Williams was playing pretty miserable basketball until after the All-star break this year. He came into this season out of shape and uninspired - he was coasting until the media's negativity just became too much and he "flipped the switch".

So yes, he may have been one of the best PGs in the game at one point but he hasn't played like it as Net consistently.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 02:30:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm shaking my head right back at you. I've watched A LOT of Nets basketball over the past 3 years - more than the C's actually (consequence of living in NJ), Deron Williams was playing pretty miserable basketball until after the All-star break this year. He came into this season out of shape and uninspired - he was coasting until the media's negativity just became too much and he "flipped the switch".

So yes, he may have been one of the best PGs in the game at one point but he hasn't played like it as Net consistently.
But Deron is still, even playing the way he did, an excellent passer and facilitator of an offense. Brooks poor percentages of FGM that were assisted were and will always be more because of the type of player Brooks is than anything to do with what PG he plays with.

He's not a catch and shoot player. He's Kobe-like in the way he plays. He tries to create for himself and hence has bad FGM assisted stats....just like Kobe. J.R. Smith is another player like that.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 04:05:55 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
he will be good
not great

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 06:45:30 AM »

Offline Robert24

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Marshon said in an interview before the Draft:

I respect Kobe Bryant's game so much that I don't think anybody should be compared to him. I might play like him a tiny bit, but I would say I play more like Jamal Crawford than Kobe Bryant.

I would be delighted if he could become the next Jamal Crawford.

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »

Offline Robert24

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6J4juRaBMc

This is what happens when he gets big minutes. Now would you rather have Jordan Chuckford over that?

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 07:54:38 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He has a lot of George Mikan in his game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xEoCsDKXPo
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 08:29:26 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
He has a lot of George Mikan in his game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xEoCsDKXPo

nice video, but have we entered non sequitur world? unless you mean to show that brooks has a great sky hook as part of his game. if so, i would love to see that video.

back to this thread....aside from hopes, wishes, and crossed fingers, would the supporters of brooks please provide evidence that he, so far, has the desire to rebound, pass, or be a team mate.

we all know he looks for his own shots and is not efficient in making them. a key question being raised here is whether brooks is a one-inefficient-trick pony or whether he has a wider range of skills.

again, maybe with a good coach he changes. but i dont see it yet.

oh, just to add some stats to this discussion, here are some stats for young, jamal crawford, and our-very-own-marshon. (please forgive the auto-plagiarism from above.)

Jamal Crawford career/36 minutes per
FGA    fg%      rbs    ast     3pt%
14.9   41.1%  2.8    4.3     35%

Marshon Brooks career/36 minutes per
FGA    fg%      rbs    ast    3pt%
13.7   44%     2.8    2.9    30.2%

Nick Young career/36 minutes per
FGA      fg%      rbs     ast    3pt%
15.2    42.7%     1.6    3.0   37.4

what i see are 3 similar stat lines, except our-very-own-marshon is a really poor 3 point shooter. i dont want brooks to continue this trajectory.

hopefully, brooks' shooting efficiency and all around playing can be developed by stevens. if anyone can make brooks a better player, stevens might be the man.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 08:30:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I was so happy when the Cs picked him in '11, but sadly they went and traded him. He averaged 13, 4 and 3 along with a steal in his rookie year but saw his minutes shoot down last year with Joe Johnson arriving in Brooklyn. I think he can average a solid 15 PPG next year if he starts. I've heard him being compared to Nick Young but he isn't a chucker like him.

Marshon Brooks
season    FGA/36 minutes    fg%    rbs    ast
11-12      14                      42.8%   2.8    2.9
12-13     13.2                    46.3%   2.8    3.0

Nick Young for his career
FGA/36 minutes      fg%      rbs     ast
15.2                       42.7%     1.6    3.0

i'm not seeing a huge difference here. how are they not alike?

brooks is a a volume shooter who is not efficient. he doesnt excel at anything but shooting (depending on how you define excel), at least not so far in his career.

i hope he changes and he suddenly becomes a great, all around player who scores efficiently, but i'll withhold judgement until i see it.

It's worth noting that all it would take for Nick Young to be a useful player would be for him to be willing to pass just a little bit more and for him to be a break-even defender.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain