Author Topic: Two mid-season trades that consolidate our contracts: Amare and Perk  (Read 12294 times)

Re: Two mid-season trades that consolidate our contracts: Amare and Perk
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
You say that "moving 23m expiring is about as easy as moving Wallace's deal". I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but if you weren't, let me just tell you it's going to take a heck of an effort to move Wallace's ugly contract.

Monroe and Sanders were the only guys I italicized because I actually think they have a chance of going with S&T. Detroit has Smith/Drummond, and over the course of the season, they very likely might realize they're better off shipping away Monroe for pieces that better fit their team. As for Sanders, well, Milwaukee is Milwaukee. They traded Tobias Harris for JJ Redick, then lost JJ Redick for a couple 2nd rounders. They tried to S&T Jennings, and failed. They signed Zaza to $5M+ per year when they already have Henson, Udoh, and Sanders. At this point, it's almost a certainty they're either going to throw a ridiculous off-the-charts contract to Sanders, or sell him on the cheap. That's a 50/50 proposition, which is good enough for me to italicize him.

You're right that Amare and Perk have expiring contracts big enough to facilitate a trade, but they're not expirings until two years. So again, that immediately shuts out 2014.

I mean, I get where you're coming from. We get more assets (albeit just PJ3 and a protected 1st), and consolidate everything so we can start fresh in 2015, when Rondo is also off the books. I'm jut not sure those gains are worth justifying wasting a year and automatically shutting us out from any opportunities that arise during that span.

What do you mean it shuts us out 2014?

The deals would be mid-season trades (near the deadline) so if there was a deal for a star then we just don't do this deal in the first place, so it's not a problem for the 2014 season.

Then in the 2014 offseason we can trade the expiring deals of Amare or Perkins as needed to pick up stars if there are trades out there ,as I pointed out in my last post with the Love example (we'd have to give up a a pick or two, but it can be done).

So really it only limits us in free agency, but wouldn't stop us from making moves in the trade market at all. And as I said earlier I really don't like the 2014 free agent class for the Celtics.

Fair enough about Monroe and Sanders, they very well may be available. But if we did want them we could just trade for them instead of trying to sign them to an offer sheet couldn't we?

I just don't see how this deal would limit us as much as you suggest. Where are we being limited other than chasing free agents for next offseason in a top heavy class?

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I agree, I think before the knee injury Perk was on his way to peaking as a very solid starting center.  A guy who despite being only 6'10'' could anchor a defense and get you 11-12 points a night on 55-60% shooting.

And only 5-7 Rebounds....Above average at best and mediocre at worst.

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I agree, I think before the knee injury Perk was on his way to peaking as a very solid starting center.  A guy who despite being only 6'10'' could anchor a defense and get you 11-12 points a night on 55-60% shooting.

And only 5-7 Rebounds....Above average at best and mediocre at worst.

Per game stats are affected by playing time.  Perkins was a guy who, pre-injury, seemed on track to be a guy who would get 8rpg if he averaged close to 30mpg.  12ppg might be a tad optimistic, though.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I like the scenario for 2015, but I'm not sold, maybe it'as better to test the market in 2014 already, it's totally possible to move Bass and Lee there, and even Gerald Wallace at the deadline.
Overall I classify that trade as good with us getting another pick, and we may sit Amare basicly the whole time, so we don't have any injury worries.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As a dude with dodgy knees and a back prone to suspicious behavior, I think this is an awesome idea.

The A'mare bit, at least. Dude knows how to own a suit out there on the bench.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 08:27:12 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

no naw and nope

yes yup and get em