Author Topic: Two mid-season trades that consolidate our contracts: Amare and Perk  (Read 12309 times)

Re: Two mid-season trades that consolidate our contracts: Amare and Perk
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 12:30:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I appreciate the thought you put into this post, but I really think the Perk was a product of being next to Garnett.  Amare would be nice though.
I'll disagree with that only because we saw how good he could be on his own as a defensive anchor in 2008-2009 and early 2009-2010 before his knee problems started.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Wouldn't waste my time on Perk.  I'd rather start Olynyk or Humphries at Center than bring Perk back at this point...he's too limited.

The Amare move I'd do in a hearbeat though.  Perfect move for us IMHO because...

1. If he gets healthy and can play at even 85% of his former self, we get the elite scorer we desperately need.  Rondo, Green and Amare gives us a fantastic neucleous to build around.  Also Amare would fit this team well right now because the rest of our starters (Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully) are pretty passive offensively so there would never be any question over who is the #1 scoring option.  It allows Green to step into a secondary scorer role (where I think he really excels).

2. If he gets injured and never plays another game, then we will totally suck and probably becoe a terrible lottery team.  Next year we get a very good pick (plus probably a very solid second one to go with).  2014-2015 season we will still suck, but it gives us a chance to evaluate those new rookies and see what they can do, as well as seeing who on this current roster is worth keeping or not.  2015-2016 season Stoudemire's $24M comes off the books and we have a ton talent that we can use in trades.

Any new rookies we acquire combined with our current players, combined with whoever we sign with the fresh $24m gives us a chance to put a contending roster together. 

I think it's a win-win for a team in rebuild mode like us.

On the other hand if we keep Wallace, then by the time 2015-2016 comes along we still owe $10M to Wallace and won't have enough to sign anyone more thenn a good role player (as opposed to an All-Star).

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why do you think Wallace will knock us out of FA in the last year of his deal? That's a long ways a away to assume it'll prevent us from doing much, too many moving parts. (the biggest being Rondo!)

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Both oft injured Bigs well past their prime, no thanks.

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I have some issues with this trade:

First NYK might make this trade. Wallace is still a very good complementary player and Hump is a great rebounder who is expiring. The issue is I'm pretty sure they'd rather have Asik than either of those guys. Hibbert absolutely destroyed them in the playoffs and they haven't addressed that at all.

Second I doubt OKC trades a 1st rounder, PJ3, Adams and Perkins for a worse contract (although better Center) in Asik. That is a terrible deal for them. They should have made a deal for Garnett but they missed that boat.

Third, Amare's deal is toxic. An uninsurable $45M deal is just bad news bears. Especially since Amare hasn't played a full season in 2 years.

And last, the Rockets wouldn't touch this. Moving Asik who is a valuable asset (yes overpaid) for Bass, Adams and Crawford is silly. They take in more $ than they send out and get worse players (Adams is unknown so far).

I want Asik to go back to Chicago for Boozer. This gives Houston more weapons and gives Chicago cap relief and the best backup C in the league. I would imagine that Chicago would have to throw in a pick but it would be worth it for sure.

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 01:31:35 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 416
i would stay away from Amare..knees are a problem
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't think that's happening, Humphries and Wallace for Stoudemire??

I doubt the Knicks will bite, unless we throw in like a pick or two for him.
The Knicks would happily do that. Amare has become their worst fear when the contract was signed. They would trade him if anyone would take him. No one wants to take him.

Stoudemire has probably the worst current contract in the league. He also has another season on it, while Humphries would be done next season.

We would require a pick to take Stoudemire, but they don't have any to trade.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491
Yes, please, let's take on two huge terrible contracts.

Gotta agree with you on this.  Why on earth would we want Amare and Perk back?  Just trading bad contracts for more bad contracts.

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Why would we want to consolidate contracts?  That gives us much less flexibility. 

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Wouldn't waste my time on Perk.  I'd rather start Olynyk or Humphries at Center than bring Perk back at this point...he's too limited.

The Amare move I'd do in a hearbeat though.  Perfect move for us IMHO because...

1. If he gets healthy and can play at even 85% of his former self, we get the elite scorer we desperately need.  Rondo, Green and Amare gives us a fantastic neucleous to build around.  Also Amare would fit this team well right now because the rest of our starters (Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully) are pretty passive offensively so there would never be any question over who is the #1 scoring option.  It allows Green to step into a secondary scorer role (where I think he really excels).

2. If he gets injured and never plays another game, then we will totally suck and probably becoe a terrible lottery team.  Next year we get a very good pick (plus probably a very solid second one to go with).  2014-2015 season we will still suck, but it gives us a chance to evaluate those new rookies and see what they can do, as well as seeing who on this current roster is worth keeping or not.  2015-2016 season Stoudemire's $24M comes off the books and we have a ton talent that we can use in trades.

Any new rookies we acquire combined with our current players, combined with whoever we sign with the fresh $24m gives us a chance to put a contending roster together. 

I think it's a win-win for a team in rebuild mode like us.

On the other hand if we keep Wallace, then by the time 2015-2016 comes along we still owe $10M to Wallace and won't have enough to sign anyone more thenn a good role player (as opposed to an All-Star).
The NYK part of this trade has been rumbling around the forum threads for about a week now.  I have to say it sounds tempting. I've always liked Stoudamire and the roster needs a solid experienced NBA center.

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 03:14:31 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Why would we want to consolidate contracts?  That gives us much less flexibility.

Agreed.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I hate to link to a Bleacher Report article (from March 2013, and you can ignore the doom about his "last games as a Knick"), but whatever:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1574515-amare-stoudemires-toxic-contract-will-prevent-ny-knicks-from-reaching-ceiling

The bulk of concern surrounding Amar'e Stoudemire now really entails 2013-14 and 2014-15, and these cyst issues are sounding suspiciously degenerative. That means they're not going to get any better.

It's a triple whammy for the Knicks.

First, it looks like Stoudemire's contributions for the remaining two years of his contract (at $21.7 million and $23.4 million) will be minimal.

By season's end, he'll have played just 51 percent of the regular-season schedule the past two years. Is his career over? Mitch Lawrence over at the New York Daily News is fair to point out:

"Amar'e Stoudemire will miss the remainder of the regular season for the NY Knicks and his career could be next. It's not a stretch to think that Stoudemire might have played his final game for the Knicks."

That would be a near disaster. The best the Knicks could hope for then would be Stoudemire returning in a role much like Wallace's if they're lucky. That would make something out of nothing, but not enough to fulfill title aspirations.

Secondly, any last hopes of moving Stoudemire have been eternally dashed. Dare it be said, he was grooming himself into some kind of trade-bait shape.

This is likely the final nail in the Chris Paul-to-New York coffin. Had New York amnestied Stoudemire's contract instead of Chauncey Billups', there was at least the small possibility Paul could have been a Knick in 2013-14.

Worse, the Knicks are already over the salary cap and in luxury tax-penalty territory for the next two years, making both keeping Stoudemire and signing another player (much less a difference maker) prohibitive.

Finally, and perhaps most dreadfully, Stoudemire's hogging of the salary cap has cast the future of the current roster in doubt.

Take J.R. Smith, who is having a career year. Smith is making just $2.4 million this year. He has a player option for only $3 million next year.

Per Jared Zwerling of ESPN: "His recent All-Star-like play is already fueling talk of his upcoming contract. Here's the deal: If he declines his $2.9 million player option, the Knicks have his Early Bird Rights and can offer him $5.55 million. While Smith could fetch more..."

What Zwerling is saying: If Smith is to stay in New York, he'll be taking one for the team. That is no certainty. And even then, what about 2014-15?

The Knicks are in salary cap hell and could very well be in the throes of another Patrick Ewing-like titleless era, thanks to Amar'e Stoudemire's toxic contract.

Degenerative knee and back issues. Uninsured, cap-killing contract. Luxury tax hell. Roster inflexibility.

Why should the Celtics take any of this on? Keep the Knicks on the hook for as long as possible.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I hate to link to a Bleacher Report article (from March 2013, and you can ignore the doom about his "last games as a Knick"), but whatever:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1574515-amare-stoudemires-toxic-contract-will-prevent-ny-knicks-from-reaching-ceiling

The bulk of concern surrounding Amar'e Stoudemire now really entails 2013-14 and 2014-15, and these cyst issues are sounding suspiciously degenerative. That means they're not going to get any better.

It's a triple whammy for the Knicks.

First, it looks like Stoudemire's contributions for the remaining two years of his contract (at $21.7 million and $23.4 million) will be minimal.

By season's end, he'll have played just 51 percent of the regular-season schedule the past two years. Is his career over? Mitch Lawrence over at the New York Daily News is fair to point out:

"Amar'e Stoudemire will miss the remainder of the regular season for the NY Knicks and his career could be next. It's not a stretch to think that Stoudemire might have played his final game for the Knicks."

That would be a near disaster. The best the Knicks could hope for then would be Stoudemire returning in a role much like Wallace's if they're lucky. That would make something out of nothing, but not enough to fulfill title aspirations.

Secondly, any last hopes of moving Stoudemire have been eternally dashed. Dare it be said, he was grooming himself into some kind of trade-bait shape.

This is likely the final nail in the Chris Paul-to-New York coffin. Had New York amnestied Stoudemire's contract instead of Chauncey Billups', there was at least the small possibility Paul could have been a Knick in 2013-14.

Worse, the Knicks are already over the salary cap and in luxury tax-penalty territory for the next two years, making both keeping Stoudemire and signing another player (much less a difference maker) prohibitive.

Finally, and perhaps most dreadfully, Stoudemire's hogging of the salary cap has cast the future of the current roster in doubt.

Take J.R. Smith, who is having a career year. Smith is making just $2.4 million this year. He has a player option for only $3 million next year.

Per Jared Zwerling of ESPN: "His recent All-Star-like play is already fueling talk of his upcoming contract. Here's the deal: If he declines his $2.9 million player option, the Knicks have his Early Bird Rights and can offer him $5.55 million. While Smith could fetch more..."

What Zwerling is saying: If Smith is to stay in New York, he'll be taking one for the team. That is no certainty. And even then, what about 2014-15?

The Knicks are in salary cap hell and could very well be in the throes of another Patrick Ewing-like titleless era, thanks to Amar'e Stoudemire's toxic contract.

Degenerative knee and back issues. Uninsured, cap-killing contract. Luxury tax hell. Roster inflexibility.

Why should the Celtics take any of this on? Keep the Knicks on the hook for as long as possible.
to get out of Wallace and Lee a year earlier.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l5s88rf
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l5s88rf

Perk is a no go, unless we get a PF like Love or Aldridge

Stat and Shumpert for Bradley, Bass, Wallace, and Crawford

Boston capspace for 15/16 season would be WIDE OPEN
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Amare is done.

Perkins is a pipe dream for those who categorically refuse to move on from what was a very good Ainge trade.

Both are severely in decline, and are not worth any of the "assets" we have accumulated.
i second that notion!
also we are now set up to be a fast break team, perk serves no purpose on a team like that
amare i hope can come back and play close to his old level but he looks like every game could be his last
perk is now a good backup center but overpaid