Author Topic: Pierce convinced KG to play for the Nets  (Read 2995 times)

Pierce convinced KG to play for the Nets
« on: July 20, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Interesting.

“It was a situation where [the Celtics] were going to make a move, and once the deal with the Clippers didn’t go through for [Garnett], it was like, the Celtics were trading me, Doc was leaving, so what was left for Kevin?” explained Pierce. “I talked to [new Nets coach] Jason Kidd, and he was warming me to the fact of coming to Brooklyn, then he started warming me to the fact that they were trying to get Kevin, too.

“That’s when I called Kevin and asked him what he thought about coming to Brooklyn, he immediately said, ‘Well, what pieces are they going to give up? Who is going to be left? Is it going to be possible for us to win a championship?’ He was excited when I talked to him after warming him up, just to have the opportunity to come and win a championship and be alongside a young prospect like Brook Lopez, who he can try to take to the next level. And once I warmed him up to that, he was all in for it.”

The Nets ultimately traded Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries, Keith Bogans, MarShon Brooks and Kris Joseph to Boston, along with three first-round draft picks, in exchange for Pierce, Garnett, Terry, and DJ White. The Nets maintained All-Star-caliber talent in Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez to pair with the Boston veterans.

Garnett, famous for his resistance to change, still had to be convinced of the switch.

“It was one long, long phone call,” Pierce said with a laugh. “Probably like an hour-and-a-half, two hours. I just remember I was standing outside and it was 100 degrees, and I just remember after the phone call I was dripping sweat.

“I was like, ‘Do you understand what’s going on in Boston? [A potential trade to the] Clippers thing appears to be dead. So what do you think, big fella? I know you don’t want to retire. I know you don’t want to retire. You have too much in the tank, you love the game too much. Sometimes you just have to tell Kevin to sit back and think about it. He reacts to everything. Like his initial reaction to everything is, ‘No.’ [You say,] ‘Kevin I got a $100 million,’ [And he replies,] ‘No.’ Then he has to sit back and think about it and then once he warms up to it, he makes his decision, and that’s about anything.

“I knew his initial reaction was going to be against it, but I knew this was going to be a long conversation, too.”

For Garnett's part, he agreed with Pierce that a change might be necessary.

"I don’t like change much. When I commit to something, I like to go all-out," he said. " It’s unfortunate. Obviously, when I saw the Doc Rivers situation I knew that the writing was on the wall even before then. It was tough leaving Rondo and other things, but this is a new chapter with new things to embrace, and that’s what I’m doing.

Pierce believes that Rivers felt the same way as his veteran players, that there was no desire to endure a rebuilding process and the opportunity to compete for another title was too good to pass up.

Pierce also said there are no hard feelings with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge or the team’s ownership group. He even said that if he was in a similar position, he probably would make the same moves with the best interest of Boston's future in mind. Even if that didn't make the idea of being unable to finish his career in Boston any easier to digest.

Still, he was resigned to the fact.

“I thought the writing was on the wall,” said Pierce. “You saw Doc was leaving, [Rajon] Rondo was hurt, probably not going to be back until probably December, January, who knows? ... If I was a GM and I looked at the situation, and one day I probably plan on being a GM if that’s possible, I probably would have made the same decision. There’s some sentimental things that go along with me and Danny being together for so long, [but] at the end of the day, he works for the Boston Celtics; he doesn’t work for Paul Pierce. He works for a franchise that’s going to be around a lot longer than me, and he has to make the best decisions that he can for that franchise. And, if I was in his position, I think moving forward, I would have done the same thing.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706155/pierce-sold-kg-on-move-to-nets
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Re: Pierce convinced KG to play for the Nets
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:33:52 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
What else was he supposed to do?

If KG didn't waive his no trade clause, Pierce would've been dealt either way, with him convincing KG, he moves on to a team that has a good shot of making it back to the finals.

And that's the least you could do to a guy who gave you 15 great years. Move them to a contender.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, I can't think of a player who left in a classier way, than Paul.

He could've very easily not tried talking KG into anything which could've put the kibosh on this trade.

But instead, he talked him into it and even had nice things to say about Danny Ainge.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
What else was he supposed to do?

If KG didn't waive his no trade clause, Pierce would've been dealt either way, with him convincing KG, he moves on to a team that has a good shot of making it back to the finals.

And that's the least you could do to a guy who gave you 15 great years. Move them to a contender.

Couldn't have said it better... TP

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Paul Pierce, always a class act. Ray Allen and Doc should take notes on how to conduct themselves.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Pierce is a class act, but there is a chance he had some selfish motives here.

He could have been traded to a team that would have waived him and his 2013-2014 salary would have been $5 million instead of $15 million.

Or he could have been traded to Cleveland by himself.

While he can complain that he wasn't treated the way a 15 year vet should be treated, Danny sent him into an ideal situation, where he's getting paid, he's on a contender and he's still with KG.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Paul Pierce, always a class act. Ray Allen and Doc should take notes on how to conduct themselves.
IKR? Pierce had every reason to be angry, or take shots on the way out, but helped grease the skids on something that everyone will at least be satisfied with, if not exactly happy.

Maybe he really will be in a front office somewhere, someday.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Pierce is a class act, but there is a chance he had some selfish motives here.

He could have been traded to a team that would have waived him and his 2013-2014 salary would have been $5 million instead of $15 million.

Or he could have been traded to Cleveland by himself.

While he can complain that he wasn't treated the way a 15 year vet should be treated, Danny sent him into an ideal situation, where he's getting paid, he's on a contender and he's still with KG.

I think that's just speculation there. Pierce did not have a no-trade clause, they could have easily sent him to a non-contender who could then waive him and there was nothing he could do about it and he knew it. It was widely expected that the celtics would waive him anyway. He understood the situation and seems like he was prepared for whatever happened.

It doesn't really make a difference anyway, if he were traded to a non-contender and waived, he would just sign with a contender anyway.

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I find it intriguing that KG is looking forward to helping Brook Lopez get to the next level as a player. Can you imagine how good he can be if he actually learns a thing or two about defense and rebounding from KG?

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
also interesting is Pierce's estimation that Rondo would be back in December-January.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I like how KG is quoted as having felt bad leaving Rondo... but I thought everyone supposedly hated playing with Rondo??? nice one media

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 11:01:26 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
“I was like, ‘Do you understand what’s going on in Boston? [A potential trade to the] Clippers thing appears to be dead. So what do you think, big fella?

Everybody Cray!!

I was the guy waxing sentimental with the N.B.A "I remember commercial"Post...twice ..I loved K.G. while he was all in and all green.

**If your gonna respond to me with opinions about heart and effort and things K.G. was born with...please don't....it goes without saying**

That part I quoted is why Doc will be in my sig until forever. K.G. was not a hold up to the Clippers deal. Was reported that he was willing to waive it to go to the Clips. WOJ is one of the better "sources" and he reported just that and Paul seems to confirm that that was a deal that fell through...not becuase of K.G.. So Doc in his own interests successfully courted K.G. VERY soon after the elimination in the playoffs to leave Boston.

Bleed green, Bury me in green  ....yeah, sure.

Now Paul is sweating in 100 degree heat and he too was able pry K.G. from some imaginary force that Doc had gotten through 2 months ago which coulda been a straight up for D Jordan and his contract and maybe a 1st but who knows with that mess.

K.G. saying he felt this was pushed on them and Paul shoulda been given a chance to retire in green simply doesn't match Pauls own words and requests and considering he was on board  with the Clip deal he really should keep his yap shut...like he did THE ENTIRE TIME the Clipper fiasco was being drawn out.

Pierce convinced ??? If I were talking in 100 degree heat and knew the deal I woulda said, "Dude...you were gonna do it for Doc and yourself with an eye on a ring...we gonna get that and be together...what's the prob? I'm sweating over here" <<<<<That would take 30 seconds.

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
also interesting is Pierce's estimation that Rondo would be back in December-January.

If I was into beating a dead horse, I'd say that it's interesting--when some of us post about Rondo missing time, we get crucified because Rondo, as all real Celtics fans know, is obviously going to come back better than ever in time for pre-season and average a triple double next year. ;D

So does this situation qualify as some of that dreaded and deadly player collusion?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.