Author Topic: Trade Ideas w/Brandon Bass  (Read 8720 times)

Re: Trade Ideas w/Brandon Bass
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 11:45:58 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Bass is one of my least favorite Celtics players ever.  I don't dislike him like I disliked Mark Blount or Ricky Davis.  Those guys were bad guys in addition to very flawed players.  Bass seems like an alright guy but he's less a basketball player than a bad comedy of a basketball player.  The only thing he does at even an average level is shoot mid-range jumpers.  Talk about an obsolete player in this era.

I'm floored by how poor he is in almost every area of the game.  Dribbling the ball: horrible, rec-level, yet he actually tries to drive the ball to the hoop several times a game.  Short-term memory loss?  No post game but like his adventures with dribbling, he tries to post up.  The two most likely endings to his post-ups are airballs or block shots. 

Team defense?  Give me a break.  Poor at tracking his man in the half court, terrible at tracking his man in transition, and worst of all, soft as hell.  When you're a big who can't defend the basket by blocking shots, you have to take charges.  There's no other way about it.  I think Bass has taken two charges with the Celtics and during the two, he winced like a baby.  Seriously embarrassing.

And then worst of all, rebounding and passing.  Rating his basketball skills on a 2-8 baseball scouting scale, I'd give a 2 to his team defense, rebounding, passing, dribbling and a 5.5 to his mid-range shooting which has to be downgraded because it's a marginalized skill.  Ainge is an absolute dunce for ever acquiring him.

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 11:58:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'd prefer to trade Bass near the trade deadline. I'm more concerned with easing Sully back into things and limiting his minutes in the beginning of the season. Not to mention, Bass is a vet and can help mentor the new younger guys. Either way, I'm sure there will be a playoff team waiting to snatch him up.

Good points. Some apply to Lee too.

There is no rush to move them. They're not really the garbage that they're made out to be. They're trade-able but also have value here as mentors. They're also young playoff vets which young playoff teams could use.

I disagree. There should be a rush to move Bass. He simply doesn't fit this roster. Keeping him around will do more harm than good. He's not going to mentor anyone, so scratch that idea right off the bat. You don't need Bass to ease Sully in either, when you have Olynyk, Green, Wallace, and Humphries are very capable of eating minutes at the 4 in addition to Sully.

As it stands, there's barely anyone in our big rotation that fits playing alongside Bass. So you have to move him, stat... salary relief is as good as a return if managed.

I'd like to say wait so that we can trade him later if needed, but we already have too many trade fodders in our roster as it is, that I don't thin another one is needed. One who could become easily a malcontent if he's not getting the playing time he seems to think he deserves, and worse that he might get the playing time ahead of more deserving players.

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'd prefer to trade Bass near the trade deadline. I'm more concerned with easing Sully back into things and limiting his minutes in the beginning of the season. Not to mention, Bass is a vet and can help mentor the new younger guys. Either way, I'm sure there will be a playoff team waiting to snatch him up.

There is no rush to move them. They're not really the garbage that they're made out to be. They're trade-able but also have value here as mentors. They're also young playoff vets which young playoff teams could use.

I disagree. There should be a rush to move Bass. He simply doesn't fit this roster. Keeping him around will do more harm than good. He's not going to mentor anyone, so scratch that idea right off the bat. You don't need Bass to ease Sully in either, when you have Olynyk, Green, Wallace, and Humphries are very capable of eating minutes at the 4 in addition to Sully.

As it stands, there's barely anyone in our big rotation that fits playing alongside Bass. So you have to move him, stat... salary relief is as good as a return if managed.

I'd like to say wait so that we can trade him later if needed, but we already have too many trade fodders in our roster as it is, that I don't thin another one is needed. One who could become easily a malcontent if he's not getting the playing time he seems to think he deserves, and worse that he might get the playing time ahead of more deserving players.

I'd move Crawford or Brooks first. I think that gives us 15, not sure at this point.

Bass would be on the next "tier". Bass and Humphries are the only ones we know for sure who can play the 4/5 with Sully out. We could move pieces when Sully eases back and we see things more clearly towards the trade deadline.

I'm all for force feeding minutes to the kids but getting massacred inside on a consistent nightly basis probably isn't too good for their development.

Edit: unfortunately it seems Shavlik will also have to be gone for there to be 15. Aug 1st is the deadline before he becomes guaranteed iirc.

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 12:32:29 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
1. Three-way trade with OKC and HOU (can't be done until December because of Adams ) that sends:

- Bass+Shav to HOU with Steven Adams from OKC
- Asik to OKC
- Perk + PJ3 + the Dallas 2014 pick and the rights to Papanikolau from HOU to the Cs.

2. Bass for Derrick Williams to shave some salary (1M)and get a younger player. Are the Wolves trying to win? they should pick a real PF  ;)

3. Bass+filler to Utah for Biedrins. Big expiring to use at the trade deadline, maybe packed with Bogans.

I'd do 1 and 2, 3 only if we can't find a better deal.

I really like that first idea.  I like it for the Celtics and think OKC would do it. Houston would at least consider it, but we may need to throw in one of our low first rounders to get it done

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 01:16:03 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

There should be a rush to move Bass only if you are so desperate to get rid of him that you would give up a first-round pick just to do so.

If Gerald Wallace wasn't a Celtic, would you trade Bass for Wallace and his contract?  Unless you would seriously think about it, there's no rush.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 02:07:52 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
The only Bass trade that makes sense to me is somehow to Houston for Asik.  Houston wouldn't do this trade straigt up I don't think but I think Bass could fit well as a PF along side Howard and of course more of a true C is better for us.

Maybe:

Bass + Melo (for salary) + Nets #1 2015 (when they still should be good)

for

Asik

You could also expand this to include Rondo with Bass and Melo for Asik, Lin and so on but I think most would be more interested in Asik than in Lin.

We dont have the Nets 2015 pick, did you mean the Clippers?

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 02:26:35 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If neither Chris Copeland nor Miles Plumlee turn out to be the Pacers solution for backup PF, I could see Indy offering a trade deadline deal like Bass/Melo for Copeland/Gerald Green and a second round pick or two.

Basically, something along the lines of Bass for a package that has to include Green's contract.

A team that has a shaky backup PF situation, needs perimeter shooting, and might run into Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James in the playoffs sounds likes a team that could use Bass.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 09:06:37 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'd move Crawford or Brooks first. I think that gives us 15, not sure at this point.

Bass would be on the next "tier". Bass and Humphries are the only ones we know for sure who can play the 4/5 with Sully out. We could move pieces when Sully eases back and we see things more clearly towards the trade deadline.

I'm all for force feeding minutes to the kids but getting massacred inside on a consistent nightly basis probably isn't too good for their development.

Edit: unfortunately it seems Shavlik will also have to be gone for there to be 15. Aug 1st is the deadline before he becomes guaranteed iirc.

Crawford should be moved first that I agree. Brooks no. Brooks you hold on to. But Bass should be a priority, not only because of fit, but because of his contract.

Bass can't play the 5. That he was played there by Doc doesn't mean that he can actually play it. He sucks as a 5, so don't know why that would be even a consideration.

And I haven't mentioned anything about force feeding minutes to the kids. I couldn't care less about this "rebuilding, give minutes to the young guys" idea some have on their minds. This is about better players getting on the court, and players that actually fit with each other.

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Mr Ainge needs to get creative.   A grouping of bass (or humphries) with crawford, lee , melo etc for a center.  We have too many players now.
I'm not against keeping bass but I think he has trade value compared to others at pf position.  Also imo the depth at pf:
sully, humphries, bass, olynyk?, wallace, shav

granted shav doesn't count, would like him kept around for center minutes and maybe wallace doesn't need to get pf minutes but we simply have too many guys at that position, sully to me is most rounded guy, maybe kelly gets center minutes but we don't have enough playing time for sully, humphries and bass