Author Topic: Trade Ideas w/Brandon Bass  (Read 8712 times)

Trade Ideas w/Brandon Bass
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:06:36 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I've been on the Trade Brandon Bass bandwagon for a while now. In my opinion he is very very limited player; a mid-range jumpshooter. If his jumpshot is off he is useless, he doesn't have any post moves or any offensive skills outside of a jumpshot or a dunk. He tries to dunk everything when a simple one-handed layup would do, or more times than not, a simple jump hook...think about how many times you have seen Bass take a jump hook...now think about how many times you've seen him relentlessly pump-fake trying to get off a two-handed dunk through people...he never contests shots at the rim defensively, and he doesn't take charges,his defense is improved but still not good in my opinion.
Now that I am done with my Brandon Bass rant here are my trade proposals to move him:

Bass to Sac for  Chuck Hayes (5mil/2yr)

Bass to Sac for  Jimmer Fredette(2.4mil/2yr) and Patrick Patterson(3mil/1y)

Bass to Den for  Andre Miller(5mil/2yr) and Anthony Randolph(1.7mil/2yr)

Bass to Utah for  Marvin Williams (7.5mil,1yr)

Thoughts?

Re: Trade Ideas w/Brandon Bass
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Bass is undersized. He doesn't have the luxury of finishing finesse-like because everyone is more opposing than him.

He plays to his strength, which is his strength. People bash on Fab for not trying to finish strong. Well, Bass finishes strong and tries to finish strong almost every time. Normally you want your bigs to dunk it, not lay it up - especially if he is 6'8.

I actually like all the pump-fakes he does. It means that he's in control and he doesn't want to force anything. This is literally the first time I've seen someone bash a player for pump faking the basketball.

His defense basically shut down Melo in the playoffs too. And he has some post moves. He isn't prolific, but he can abuse a mismatch.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like what Bass can do as a third big on a good playoff team. If we are taking anything back, it should be for no more than one year and I actually think that he could fetch a late first round pick. Bass is better than anything a 'contending' team can get in the late first round, especially in win-now mode.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Best LeBron-defender in the league.
Best Carmelo-defender in the league.

Easily underpaid.

~thumpin'
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The only Bass trade that makes sense to me is somehow to Houston for Asik.  Houston wouldn't do this trade straigt up I don't think but I think Bass could fit well as a PF along side Howard and of course more of a true C is better for us.

Maybe:

Bass + Melo (for salary) + Nets #1 2015 (when they still should be good)

for

Asik

You could also expand this to include Rondo with Bass and Melo for Asik, Lin and so on but I think most would be more interested in Asik than in Lin.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
bass will not get us anything.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Best LeBron-defender in the league.
Best Carmelo-defender in the league.

Easily underpaid.

~thumpin'

He is?

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
The only Bass trade that makes sense to me is somehow to Houston for Asik.  Houston wouldn't do this trade straigt up I don't think but I think Bass could fit well as a PF along side Howard and of course more of a true C is better for us.

Maybe:

for

Asik

You could also expand this to include Rondo with Bass and Melo for Asik, Lin and so on but I think most would be more interested in Asik than in Lin.

Terrible trade.  I'd rather let Bass expire than give up assets to move him for the sake of moving him. 

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

for

Asik

Are you drunk?

Giving up a 1st rounder...even in the bottom third for an overpaid backup is nuts.

And I don't even want think about the second trade you mentioned. Rondo for Lin? I don't even know what to say except I know it would include vomit. ARGGGG

Asik's salary next season will be 15M...expiring but still that is absolutely ridiculous. Bass for Asik straight up would be a good deal for both teams I think. I doubt it gets done because Danny doesn't want to eat up cap space without getting valuable stuff in return.

Oh and I'm about 80% sure that Bass gets traded this season. I expect the C's to be super active at the deadline.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 05:47:26 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
If I could give a negative TP to the OP, I would.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Maybe:

for

Asik

Terrible trade.  I'd rather let Bass expire than give up assets to move him for the sake of moving him.

What? We aren't moving him for the sake of moving him.

We are getting Asik, who is a very good and very competent center.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 06:19:21 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I've been on the Trade Brandon Bass bandwagon for a while now. In my opinion he is very very limited player; a mid-range jumpshooter. If his jumpshot is off he is useless, he doesn't have any post moves or any offensive skills outside of a jumpshot or a dunk. He tries to dunk everything when a simple one-handed layup would do, or more times than not, a simple jump hook...think about how many times you have seen Bass take a jump hook...now think about how many times you've seen him relentlessly pump-fake trying to get off a two-handed dunk through people...he never contests shots at the rim defensively, and he doesn't take charges,his defense is improved but still not good in my opinion.
Now that I am done with my Brandon Bass rant here are my trade proposals to move him:

Bass to Sac for  Chuck Hayes (5mil/2yr)

Bass to Sac for  Jimmer Fredette(2.4mil/2yr) and Patrick Patterson(3mil/1y)

Bass to Den for  Andre Miller(5mil/2yr) and Anthony Randolph(1.7mil/2yr)

Bass to Utah for  Marvin Williams (7.5mil,1yr)

Thoughts?

What about his defense ?  I think you're picking and choosing here and leaving out what good attributes he brings to the table.

I want to use him still.  I think he's been 1-2 so far as a Celtic.  One great year, & one poor.

If we get the great Bass back, I'll take him all day long.  He's an excellent defender and has a solid shot from the outside that compliments Rondo's game.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
The Pistons could use him. As well as Lee. Their bench is trash.

I've been thinking Bass and Lee for the Pistons' trash (although most are expiring, Jerebko has 2 years) and a heavily protected first.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I'm not sure now is the time to go after Asik, but I do think he's a superior player to Bass. If 10 points, 12 boards and elite defense spells "backup" I dunno what to say.

The $15M thing is a backloaded contract. For cap purposes he only makes $2M more than Bass, and Houston can send up to $3M in sweetener.

I'd do the deal if we could resign Asik on a reasonable contract. Not worth losing a 1st rounder if he just walks, though.

EDIT: We could also play TPE games. For example, Bass to Denver for a TPE (Igoudala) and then 1st rounder + our TPE to Houston for Asik.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:18:31 PM by byennie »

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 07:14:04 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
just out of curiosity, does anybody know Bass's defensive numbers? I know he's regarded as good but I'm curious as to his advanced stats.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.