Author Topic: Lakers to target LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony next year?  (Read 4887 times)

Lakers to target LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony next year?
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

The rumors already started

The Los Angeles Lakers, whose plan to re-sign center Dwight Howard did not pan out this offseason, are poised to rebuild fast by focusing on the two biggest free agents of 2014 -- LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, front office sources have told ESPN.

Opinions are split on whether the Lakers can actually land James or Anthony, with one source calling it "realistic" and another saying it was "far-fetched at this point." Nonetheless, the Lakers have made it clear they are positioning themselves for a run at one and perhaps even two of the superstars who could become free agents in 2014, by refusing to commit to any contract past this next season, multiple sources have said.

Re: Lakers to target LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony next year?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
A frontcourt of Pau Gasol (C), Carmelo Anthony (PF) and LeBron James (SF) would be nasty.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

The rumors already started

The Los Angeles Lakers, whose plan to re-sign center Dwight Howard did not pan out this offseason, are poised to rebuild fast by focusing on the two biggest free agents of 2014 -- LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, front office sources have told ESPN.

Opinions are split on whether the Lakers can actually land James or Anthony, with one source calling it "realistic" and another saying it was "far-fetched at this point." Nonetheless, the Lakers have made it clear they are positioning themselves for a run at one and perhaps even two of the superstars who could become free agents in 2014, by refusing to commit to any contract past this next season, multiple sources have said.

not happening

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:27:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Would love to see a Kobe/Melo implosion if Kobe doesn't end up retiring instead.

If there's one place Melo would leave NY for, it'd be LA.  I still think he'll stick around NY, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 02:28:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
No way LeBron goes anywhere but Miami or Cleveland.

As for Anthony, I hope he does go to the Lakers, as it would ensure that they're a first- or second-round exit for years to come.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
If MIA wins the NBA title again next year, LeBron will stay in my opinion.  They're committed to winning, albeit remaining as luxury tax cost effective as possible, so they know if they want to keep him, they will have to consistently put a good roster with him.  If not, I think he will still lean towards staying but be a bit cautious as to the direction the Heat will be going in.  Don't really have a guess on Carmelo at this point.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
jim buss is a fool and will run the lakers further into the ground. lebron is not leaving.
and melo? if he's going to be the centerpiece of the new lakers, then they are in for a nasty disappointment. i do believe melo might bail, but he's not nearly as good as people think he is. he's a chucker, not a winner.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If LA had kept Howard, I'd guarantee Melo would have went to LA.  With just an aging Kobe & Pau, not likely.

The only chance LeBron leaves Miami, is if Wade's play falls off a cliff, and Lebron gets worried he won't be able to win there anymore.  At this point, he might consider himself too "big-time" for LA, and would rather just be known for building his own legacy in Miami.  Cleveland ain't happening.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I can see Anthony to the Lakers but not Bron.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
If LA had kept Howard, I'd guarantee Melo would have went to LA.  With just an aging Kobe & Pau, not likely.

The only chance LeBron leaves Miami, is if Wade's play falls off a cliff, and Lebron gets worried he won't be able to win there anymore.  At this point, he might consider himself too "big-time" for LA, and would rather just be known for building his own legacy in Miami.  Cleveland ain't happening.

if kobe doesn't retire, he isn't taking a paycut. That alone should prevent them from signing another max contract star

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can't see it happening.

Kobe's deal, though expired after next year I believe, would act as a cap hold for that ridiculous amount unless he's resigned, traded or retired.  Resigning him cuts into their cap room so that stops the process.  Trading him requires taking back matching salary on his new deal (which won't be cheap) so that stops the process too. 

No way he's retiring when incoming players could lead to another title and add to his resume.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

if kobe doesn't retire, he isn't taking a paycut. That alone should prevent them from signing another max contract star

I do not think it is a forgone conclusion Kobe is brought back.  If LA has a chance to move in a different direction, they should.  If nobody wants to come there, then bring him  back and punt the season.  It will be a fine line management will have to walk.

To add to this, though, if LA does want him back, they will just have to tell Kobe they are renouncing him, and signing him with cap space.  Kobe, if he truly wants to win another chip with LA, will simply have to realize a pay cut is in order.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
i loath the Lakers,

may CA drop into the sea

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I can't see it happening.

Kobe's deal, though expired after next year I believe, would act as a cap hold for that ridiculous amount unless he's resigned, traded or retired.  Resigning him cuts into their cap room so that stops the process.  Trading him requires taking back matching salary on his new deal (which won't be cheap) so that stops the process too. 

No way he's retiring when incoming players could lead to another title and add to his resume.

Ur arguement is moot, miami had 3 basically Max contracts, they could def sign all 3 if they wanted to. Kobe is going to earn about 10 mill tops next year in a new contract, and they would give melo and lebron the max. And just Use the minimums on everyone else. Like miami has done.

Now as for lebron leaving Miami to LA, i dont see why he wouldnt but also he has a good thing in Miami and Wade and Bosh have an ETO as well next season, so you never know if Melo goes to MIAMI??? You know its a bunch of different things that could happen , speaking of this a year before is tough to think of because it isn't like all these guys are free agents, they are free agents if they want to.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
They most likely won't get either. I doubt any of them wants to play with Kobe anyway