Author Topic: Whose line is it anyway?  (Read 5412 times)

Whose line is it anyway?
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:39:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Anyone else a fan of this show (in any version -- original British, American- Drew Carey or new this week American with Aisha Tyler)?

my wife and I loved the show from the time the older British version was being replayed on Comedy Central way back when.

Anyway, just saw last night that the CW network brought it back with the old standard cast of Wayne Brady, Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles.  Great news for us. 

The reason I bring this up was that prior to the second show last night, I noticed in the Cable info box it mentioned Kevin Mchale as a special guest.  I'm thinking, "Wow, Kevin Mchale is back on TV!  Been a long time since his appearance on Cheers but he's got a pretty sharp wit so he'll probably be pretty funny on this show".
Well, to my surprise, it's not THE Kevin Mchale from the Celtics but this kid from Glee.   WHAT A FREAKING LET DOWN!!   >:(

Someone should tell this kid to get a different stage name.  Almost as bad as going by the stage name of Larry Bird 

Re: Whose line is it anyway?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:55:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Well, that's his name -- not a stage name. Blame his parents (he was born in 1988).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Well, that's his name -- not a stage name. Blame his parents (he was born in 1988).
i was being sarcastic on that part.  still disappointed it wasn't the REAL Kevin Mchale though   :-\

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
I'm actually a huge fan of this. Ryan Stiles is, in my opinion, one of those underrated comedians who seems to make shows better when he's given the chance. Man, that Drew Carey show cast -- Carey, Stiles, Christa Miller, Diedrich Bader, Kathy Kinney -- that was great comedy.

But, yeah, I love improv, and I love how Stiles and Mochrie and Brady got their groove back immediately. Honestly -- and this is a pipe dream for now because of his success in Nashville -- but I would LOVE to see Chip Esten come back as the fourth seat. Even if they brought back Greg Proops or Brad Sherwood I'd be happy. I just prefer it more when they have people who know how to improv.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I love this show.  I don't know why it was cancelled in the first place.  Always good for a few laughs. 

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
One of my favorites also, big fan of Ryan and Colin and Wayne's work on the show.  That fourth chair is always a problem though.  I also would appreciate someone (one of the three mentioned preferably...Estin, Sherwood, or Proops) in the seat.  Laura Hall and Linda Taylor do good work also for the musical aspect of the program.  I hadn't heard of Aisha Taylor, but she does a good job at being host.  Not sure why she doesn't get involved in the final bit like Drew did. 

Rak

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
One of my favorites also, big fan of Ryan and Colin and Wayne's work on the show.  That fourth chair is always a problem though.  I also would appreciate someone (one of the three mentioned preferably...Estin, Sherwood, or Proops) in the seat.  Laura Hall and Linda Taylor do good work also for the musical aspect of the program.  I hadn't heard of Aisha Taylor, but she does a good job at being host.  Not sure why she doesn't get involved in the final bit like Drew did. 

Rak
my preferred 4th seat is Greg Proops although to be honest, I would like Wayne to take a few episodes off.

Aisha Tyler's been all over the TV for a number of years now.  Talk Soup, a lengthy stint on Friends, Balls of Fury and currently one of those women talk shows (I don't know which--like there's a difference -- View, The Talk - something like that).  That's just off the top of my head. 

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 09:48:52 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

Rak
my preferred 4th seat is Greg Proops although to be honest, I would like Wayne to take a few episodes off.

Aisha Tyler's been all over the TV for a number of years now.  Talk Soup, a lengthy stint on Friends, Balls of Fury and currently one of those women talk shows (I don't know which--like there's a difference -- View, The Talk - something like that).  That's just off the top of my head.

I know it's voice acting but Archer is another one
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I've become a die-hard, never miss an episode listener of Harmontown, Dan Harmon's podcast. His co-host (Comptroller) is Jeff Davis, who has been on Whose Line for years, and tours regularly with Greg Proops and Ryan Stiles doing improv shows.

I'd be interested in seeing Jeff Davis do stuff there.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner