Author Topic: Celtics 10.3M Trade exception  (Read 10366 times)

Re: Celtics 10.3M Trade exception
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I'd expect a guy like Sanders or Wall to command more than the size of the trade exception, so I would want to use the contracts of Bass and Bogans to do a S&T, then have the TE left over to acquire a complimentary player from a team looking to dump salary.
I think we could start Sanders at 10.3 with a 25% raise each year (I think that's the highest increase allowed) which would end up with him making a much higher AAV than 10.3
The biggest raise allowed by the CBA for FAs is 4.5%, or 7.5% if you have bird rights to the FA.

Assuming we're in a Bird-rights situation, here's the breakdown I get for $10.3M:

YEAR 1: 10300000
YEAR 2: 11072500
YEAR 3: 11845000
YEAR 4: 12617500
YEAR 5: 13390000
--
TOTAL: 5 years, $59.2M (average: $11.8M)

The niddly detail seems to be that the 7.5% is a constant based on the first year, not compounding interest.

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
And w/o Bird Rights:

YEAR 2: 10763500
YEAR 3: 11536000
YEAR 4: 12308500
--
TOTAL: 4 years, $44.9M (average: $11.2M)

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
And w/o Bird Rights:

YEAR 2: 10763500
YEAR 3: 11536000
YEAR 4: 12308500
--
TOTAL: 4 years, $44.9M (average: $11.2M)
Thank you for doing out the numbers, that probably isn't enough for Larry Sanders, darn.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I can't see the Celtics taking on $10.3M more in salary.  It would go straight to the luxury tax.  I believe that the Celtics will try to go the other way meaning reducing salary, not adding salary.

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 03:25:53 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I can't see the Celtics taking on $10.3M more in salary.  It would go straight to the luxury tax.  I believe that the Celtics will try to go the other way meaning reducing salary, not adding salary.
Yeah I agree, but the trade exception lasts one year, I think they will use it on July 10th when the moratorium ends next year
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 03:29:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I agree, but the trade exception lasts one year, I think they will use it on July 10th when the moratorium ends next year
They cannot use it for 10.3 million this year, they've committed to staying under the apron by how the Brooklyn trade was structured.

I agree that they'll wait to try and use it till next offseason, I'm always skeptical TPEs get used though. So many are just allowed to expire.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
They cannot use it for 10.3 million this year, they've committed to staying under the apron by how the Brooklyn trade was structured.

I agree that they'll wait to try and use it till next offseason, I'm always skeptical TPEs get used though. So many are just allowed to expire.

I wonder how many of them are this much money, though?

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Unless of course they find a way to shed a Lee, Bass, or a combination of payroll equivalent to their salary (we're ~5 million under the apron I think, so it's technically possible to open enough payroll).

Also, it's possible to split the TPE, which means we can use half of it right away.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 09:14:45 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Unless of course they find a way to shed a Lee, Bass, or a combination of payroll equivalent to their salary (we're ~5 million under the apron I think, so it's technically possible to open enough payroll).

Also, it's possible to split the TPE, which means we can use half of it right away.

This.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

This.

Nah.

Hump's deal, Lee' deal, plus two 1sts for a big time player.

TPE for a big time player.

Plus Rondo and Green.

We're in the battle next year, ready to contend for the one after.

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think one option would be to take on a bad contract in exchange for another draft pick in the future like the Ben Gordon deal least year. They had to eat his contract, but got Detroit's pick protected in 2013/14 but only top 1 protected 2015.

It's not like we don't have enough picks at our disposal already, but 10.3 is an awkward number in terms of who you can bring in. It's not going to be a superstar and if it is an all-star level guy on a team friendly deal I doubt they'd be on the trade block anyway.

If there isn't a quality guy out there for Danny, I'd be up for taking a pick and a bad deal (no more than 2 years left on it) and we can use it as more ammo to go out and chase a real superstar, who is no doubt going to cost way more than 10.3m.

I could see this as a fall back plan if 10.3 isn't quite enough go after someone like Larry Sanders or Demarcus Cousins.   

If we take on a semi toxic contract for a team looking to clear more cap space while gaining another draft pick in the process, I could see someone like Steve Nash, Afflalo, Prince, Beasley, Landry Fields, even Perk as candidates for this type of deal.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
If we go this route wouldn't we want to add some flotsam and perhaps a pick to stay out of the luxery tax. I think that we use this a year from now toward the end of the trade exception deadline.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
What most people fail to realize is that the C's are hardcapped. We won't e able to use much of the TE at all unless we clear out more cap room. Until then, it's a moot point to debate who we should get for the TE.

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What most people fail to realize is that the C's are hardcapped. We won't e able to use much of the TE at all unless we clear out more cap room. Until then, it's a moot point to debate who we should get for the TE.

All/most the people above you seem quite aware of this predicament. There are various ways to use the exception, particularly in a 3-way team trade, and as is being discussed by various others, possibilities in next year's free agency.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

This is the most likely scenario.

With that said, I think Danny is working really hard to cut salary right now.  If he can find a way to do that, I think it will open up some real options to use the TPE. 

I think it would be less likely to be used on a player that the C's want longterm, but more to absorb a salary another team wants to dump, in order to get more assets.