Author Topic: Celtics 10.3M Trade exception  (Read 10367 times)

Celtics 10.3M Trade exception
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Who might be some targets the Celts could go after with this trade exception?
Green 18!

Re: Celtics 10.3M Trade exception
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
LARRY SANDERS! (this is probably a pipe dream, but who doesn't enjoy a good pipe dream now and again)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:19:37 PM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
That would be nice
Green 18!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Asik
Javel McGee
Gallinari
Varejao
Thaddeus Young
Millsap
Afflalo
Marcus Thorton
Taj Gibson

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
also evan turner

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I think one option would be to take on a bad contract in exchange for another draft pick in the future like the Ben Gordon deal least year. They had to eat his contract, but got Detroit's pick protected in 2013/14 but only top 1 protected 2015.

It's not like we don't have enough picks at our disposal already, but 10.3 is an awkward number in terms of who you can bring in. It's not going to be a superstar and if it is an all-star level guy on a team friendly deal I doubt they'd be on the trade block anyway.

If there isn't a quality guy out there for Danny, I'd be up for taking a pick and a bad deal (no more than 2 years left on it) and we can use it as more ammo to go out and chase a real superstar, who is no doubt going to cost way more than 10.3m.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 01:55:59 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
Jameer Nelson could fit into it? Magic definitely won't give up their 2014 first but what about 2015?

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Possible to do a S&T where we send the pick? For example let's say we wanted Larry Sanders and thought he was worth $10.3M. Milwaukee is hesitant, or thinks they will be outbid. Could we offer the trade exception + 1st rounder to Milwaukee, who S&T Sanders? I know we can't combine with players, but a little fuzzy on how picks and S&T would affect things.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Possible to do a S&T where we send the pick? For example let's say we wanted Larry Sanders and thought he was worth $10.3M. Milwaukee is hesitant, or thinks they will be outbid. Could we offer the trade exception + 1st rounder to Milwaukee, who S&T Sanders? I know we can't combine with players, but a little fuzzy on how picks and S&T would affect things.

S&T for picks is one of the more common uses of a trade exception.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I thought so =). To me, that's the most logical - take our load of picks and shop the restricted free agent market. If nothing looks good enough, then take a salary dump *with* a pick before the TE expires.

Restricted options next year that would likely command a large contract:

D Cousins
L Sanders
E Bledsoe
J Wall
G Hayward
E Turner
G Monroe
D Favors
E Davis
K Seraphin
T Booker
E Udoh

I doubt Utah parts with Favors, or Wall plays for $10M, but with a stack of picks and the TE you never know.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd expect a guy like Sanders or Wall to command more than the size of the trade exception, so I would want to use the contracts of Bass and Bogans to do a S&T, then have the TE left over to acquire a complimentary player from a team looking to dump salary.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I thought so =). To me, that's the most logical - take our load of picks and shop the restricted free agent market. If nothing looks good enough, then take a salary dump *with* a pick before the TE expires.

Restricted options next year that would likely command a large contract:

D Cousins
L Sanders
E Bledsoe
J Wall
G Hayward
E Turner
G Monroe
D Favors
E Davis
K Seraphin
T Booker
E Udoh

I doubt Utah parts with Favors, or Wall plays for $10M, but with a stack of picks and the TE you never know.

can our TE wait that long? I thought we only have 1 year time to use it (I read it somewhere on the forum about it). If we can wait until next year's FA, I would like to see us use it for Cousins

Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully and Cousins, o my

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

can our TE wait that long?
We'll have two days or so to use it once the moratorium on signings lifts. So 12 days to negotiate and get whatever we'd like to do with it done.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd expect a guy like Sanders or Wall to command more than the size of the trade exception, so I would want to use the contracts of Bass and Bogans to do a S&T, then have the TE left over to acquire a complimentary player from a team looking to dump salary.
I think we could start Sanders at 10.3 with a 25% raise each year (I think that's the highest increase allowed) which would end up with him making a much higher AAV than 10.3
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think we could start Sanders at 10.3 with a 25% raise each year (I think that's the highest increase allowed) which would end up with him making a much higher AAV than 10.3
The biggest raise allowed by the CBA for FAs is 4.5%, or 7.5% if you have bird rights to the FA.

So the biggest contract we could get Sanders with is 4 years and 43.05 million total.

10.3, 10.76, 11.22, 11.69